20 year old girl wanting to gain muscle, need advice!

Options
I am currently 20 years old. I am 5'4" and 104.8 lbs. I would much rather be about 115 pounds with obvious muscle definition (a strong back,a booty, abs, etc.) I am currently very lean and I have visible abs. I know that means I should "bulk". I have struggled with dieting and eating too little in the past, so this is very difficult for me. My fitness pal says my maintenance is about 1760 per day. I've been aiming for 300-500 calories over this for a while and my scale has stayed about the same. I also eat over 100 g of protein per day and keep my fat 20-30%.

My training is a basic bodybuilding style training and it usually looks something like this-

monday-legs
tuesday-shoulders
wednesday- biceps and triceps
thursday- rest
friday- chest
saturday- active rest like yoga or something

then i begin to repeat, again this is just a rough example i usually do each muscle group at least once per week. I only do 5-10 min of cardio to warm up.

I do 8-10 exercises. I go as heavy as i can. 3 sets per exercise (usually), 8-12 reps. I like free weights better than machines. I'm squatting 105, dead lifting 155, and benching 65. I have been lifting weights for over 1 year and I have gotten very serious about it in the past 4-5 months... just no progress.

So it seems like I'm doing everything right! why am I not seeing progress? :( HELP MFP I NEED YOU!!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    More food.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Firstly, if you have been eating 2060-2260 calories per day and your weight has stayed the same, you are eating at maintenance and not at a surplus which is why you may not be seeing any gains.

• JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    Options
    I agree.. You really need to increase your protein intake. I'd say you should eat at least 130g of whey protein... and 30g of the 130g should be Casein protein eaten at night... You need to keep the carbs low... roughly 80g per day... and make sure you do HIIT each day.. Lift Heavy!!!
    Are you trying to compete?
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Firstly, if you have been eating 2060-2260 calories per day and your weight has stayed the same, you are eating at maintenance and not at a surplus which is why you may not be seeing any gains.

This.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Yup, eat more. MFP's calculated TDEE (maintenance) is an approximation; your observed experience is telling you that it is too low, so you need to add more calories.

How long is "a while" that you've been eating this much? If a month with no gain, then add 300 calories and observe for a few weeks. Bulking for a female should be pretty slow, as we are more prone to gain fat than muscle, so you should be aiming to gain about 2 lbs per month.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I agree.. You really need to increase your protein intake. I'd say you should eat at least 130g of whey protein... and 30g of the 130g should be Casein protein eaten at night... You need to keep the carbs low... roughly 80g per day... and make sure you do HIIT each day.. Lift Heavy!!!

Please give me science to back that up.
  • jaimesparkman
    jaimesparkman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How long is "a while" that you've been eating this much? If a month with no gain, then add 300 calories and observe for a few weeks. Bulking for a female should be pretty slow, as we are more prone to gain fat than muscle, so you should be aiming to gain about 2 lbs per month.

since the beginning of summer so like 4 or more months:(
  • jaimesparkman
    jaimesparkman Posts: 17 Member
    Options

In the long run i'd like to do bikini. at least once, give it a shot. I thought you were supposed to eat a lot of carbs and protein?
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Okay, then add about 300 calories and observe your weight for a few weeks. It will fluctuate up and down as normal, but you should see an overall upward trend if you're eating enough.
  • fivethreeone
    edited November 2014
    Options

In the long run i'd like to do bikini. at least once, give it a shot. I thought you were supposed to eat a lot of carbs and protein?

That guy has no idea what he is talking about.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Then it sounds like you are eating at maintenance. The number MFP gave you is just an estimate. Bump it up as the others said and see where you go from there. Also, your maintenance will be a range and you may find you have to go higher than you first expected to start gaining.
  • fivethreeone
    edited November 2014
    Options

Right, she's trying to bulk so she should do cardio...so that...she has to eat more?

And she's eating 2200 cals and not gaining, so let's say she goes to 2500 cals. You say she should only have 80g carbs and 130g protein?

That leaves her with a grand total of 1660 cals left for... fat. So....67% fat? Awesome, bro.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    More food.

^this...and just that. Everything else is superfluous.

Dial in the 90% part...which is eat more...and *then* worry about the other details.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That guy has no idea what he is talking about.

Agreed.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

She only weighs 104 lbs, more protein than that is overkill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lol what??

just no: no. and more no.

carbs make the bod grow.
    HIIT just means she has to eat more food. most people drop almost all forms of cardio wilst bulking- because cardio = calorie burn = more food. at some point- that gets old.

Protein is significantly more important for weight loss than bulking- in order to put on muscle- one must eat carbs. ALL THE CARBS- which means all the bagels and all the sushi- and all the pizza. NOMNOMNOM

Secondly: I agree with all the people who said more food.

If you aren't gaining- then you aren't eating enough. Usually there is an initial jump- and people get all excited that they are gaining in the first 2 weeks. But it's a glycogen. It levels out. Add another 150 calories every 3 weeks. If you gain to fast... stop adding.

Usually you can tell in 2-3 weeks if it's going up. If it's not at the end of 3 weeks- add another 150.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Right, she's trying to bulk so she should do cardio...so that...she has to eat more?

And she's eating 2200 cals and not gaining, so let's say she goes to 2500 cals. You say she should only have 80g carbs and 130g protein?

That leaves her with a grand total of 1660 cals left for... fat. So....67% fat? Awesome, bro.

:laugh:

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Need more detail about your work outs. What do you do on "leg" day? If you're not incorporating a free weight program revolving around bench, squat and deads, then I suggest you find a program that does. And eat.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Two things:

One, eat more. Obviously you're eating at maintenance or you'd be gaining. Try to up the calls by 200/week until you start gaining at an appropriate level.

Two, I'd look into a better lifting plan. By reading the description it looks like you're missing out on whole muscle groups? This isn't the time to wing it though, finding a balanced lifting plan is important because it's really easy to forget certain muscles (especially ones we can't see).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My training is a basic bodybuilding style training and it usually looks something like this-

monday-legs
    tuesday-shoulders
    wednesday- biceps and triceps
    thursday- rest
    friday- chest
    saturday- active rest like yoga or something

then i begin to repeat, again this is just a rough example i usually do each muscle group at least once per week. I only do 5-10 min of cardio to warm up.

I do 8-10 exercises. I go as heavy as i can. 3 sets per exercise (usually), 8-12 reps. I like free weights better than machines. I'm squatting 105, dead lifting 155, and benching 65. I have been lifting weights for over 1 year and I have gotten very serious about it in the past 4-5 months... just no progress.
    Following on with Jeff's comment, what program are you following and what exactly are you doing? Part of the lack of progress with your lifts may be a program issue.