20 year old girl wanting to gain muscle, need advice!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

8-12 reps is easy

Then you're doing it wrong.

I'd invite you to work out with me, but I hate seeing grown men cry. ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    What's going on in here?

A newbie who is an expert of all things iron.

Please quote one thing I have said which is incorrect.

Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Because we all know that 1 day of super high volume > 3 days of more moderate volume, right???

I have recommended higher frequency throughout this whole post. Yes 5x5 has good frequency but the overall volume for the week is too low (only 75 reps). I said to spread the 192-360 reps over the week rather than do it all in one workout.

Are you saying that squats are the only lift in SL that work legs?

You do realize that there is a limit to how much muscle you can gain in a workout. More does not always mean more and often means less.

Also, how exactly should she spread this out? Assuming of course she can get to the gym more often of course.

You also seem to be saying that SL would be worse than the OPs current program one minute, but arguing points that would say it is better the other.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Pardon me while I settle in for the show(down). This is like a win-win... I watch a smackdown and I get to learn more about lifting from someone who knows their sh-tuff.

yNCVL.gif

• ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1. When volume is accounted for, there is no difference in hypertrophy between rep ranges (with the caveat of sufficient intensity).
    For anyone interested in more learning more about rep ranges (and why the can be a bit of a misnomer), this is a good video. One of Layne Norton's BioLayne Video Logs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GenviIWIeqA

3:00 Thanks :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Pardon me while I settle in for the show(down). This is like a win-win... I watch a smackdown and I get to learn more about lifting from someone who knows their sh-tuff.

Absorb as much of what Sara writes as you can.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    1. When volume is accounted for, there is no difference in hypertrophy between rep ranges (with the caveat of sufficient intensity).
    For anyone interested in more learning more about rep ranges (and why the can be a bit of a misnomer), this is a good video. One of Layne Norton's BioLayne Video Logs.

You have a really bad cherry picking habit. Continue watching...actually watching. In fact, start over and really pay attention.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Are you missing the point on purpose?

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like it's just a matter of more food. I would say to try adding an additional 300-500 calories a day and see how that works out. Your routine sounds pretty solid and for 104lbs, your weights are pretty solid.

No fear of the carbs or the fats either. You're getting good protein, so it just sounds like it's a matter of calories. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It just descended into people getting basic things about training wrong and me correcting them.

It's funny that the answer to the original question was answered by two words in the first post.

DopeItUp wrote: »
    More food.

lulz.
  • ScottJTyler
    Options
    You do realize that there is a limit to how much muscle you can gain in a workout. More does not always mean more and often means less.

Again, show some evidence that a reduction in volume consistently results in increased hypertrophy.

Also, how exactly should she spread this out? Assuming of course she can get to the gym more often of course.

She doesn't necessarily need to go to the gym more often, just spread the volume out in the current gym days.
    You also seem to be saying that SL would be worse than the OPs current program one minute, but arguing points that would say it is better the other.

OP's current program
    High-ish Volume
    Low Frequency

5x5
    Lower volume
    High Frequency

My Recommendation
    Same Volume
    Higher Frequency

• Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    What's going on in here?

A newbie who is an expert of all things iron.

Please quote one thing I have said which is incorrect.

Because we all know that 1 day of super high volume > 3 days of more moderate volume, right???

I have recommended higher frequency throughout this whole post. Yes 5x5 has good frequency but the overall volume for the week is too low (only 75 reps). I said to spread the 192-360 reps over the week rather than do it all in one workout.

Please answer the question as to how you think the OP will get more frequency - to all muscle groups.

Also, you are assuming that the 192 - 360 reps hit all muscles with some degree of intensity for each of the lifts.

You are also assuming that squats are the only lift that impacts lower body.

You are also assuming that there is no cap to the amount of muscle gain in a day/week.

You are also assuming that none of the warmup sets count towards hypertrophy.

• dbmata
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Luckily, rep volume is the ONLY variable to worry about. Ever.
  • ScottJTyler
    Options

OK what's the point? I am happy to learn.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Actually, from your posting, no you are not.
  • ScottJTyler
    Options

Please answer the question as to how you think the OP will get more frequency - to all muscle groups.

Cut each workout into a quarter and do it 4x a week. Or in half and 2x per week.
    Also, you are assuming that the 192 - 360 reps hit all muscles with some degree of intensity for each of the lifts.

Yes I am.

Sorry yes I neglected to consider the 1 set of deadlifts per week.
    You are also assuming that there is no cap to the amount of muscle gain in a day/week.

Yes there is a limit to the amount you can increase volume from one week to the next as you will not recover. I don't think I have said anything about increasing volume a lot.
  • ScottJTyler
    Options

Maybe I am or not, I'm interested to know what the point is anyway.
  • ScottJTyler
    Options
    Luckily, rep volume is the ONLY variable to worry about. Ever.

I have also recommended an increase in frequency.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Cut each workout into a quarter and do it 4x a week. Or in half and 2x per week.

Yes I am.

Sorry yes I neglected to consider the 1 set of deadlifts per week.

Yes there is a limit to the amount you can increase volume from one week to the next as you will not recover. I don't think I have said anything about increasing volume a lot.

1) so, a full body? How would that work 4 x a week?

2) why would you make that assumption.

3) what about warm up sets - those do not count?

4) re muscle gain - you are responding to a totally different point - which is the crux of the issue with you assumptions.

To be clear, I am not saying the SL is an 'ideal' program for hypertrophy - but your assertions are just not correct in many regards.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Maybe I am or not, I'm interested to know what the point is anyway.

Not playing..sry (notsry)
  • ScottJTyler
    Options
    Aren't you the same guy who isn't gaining on 6000 calories? :huh:

So I mean, how right are you really, because thus far in your posting history it doesn't actually seem like you know as much as your brain thinks it does...

Yep that's me. I got some good advice on that thread and am now 93kg! See I am willing to learn.
    Nutrition and training are different topics and I'm happy to hear what it is I've said that is incorrect.