20 year old girl wanting to gain muscle, need advice!

Options

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Op: How long have you been lifting?

Re the routine, ^^this is the question that needs to be answered before recommending a program.

She said that she's been lifting for over a year but got serious the past 4-5 months.

Thanks - did not spot that.

OP: I would not do a full split routine. Depending on your schedule, a full body would probably work best based on where you are. You would want one that incorporate the 'big' compound lifts as well as had varying rep ranges for your lifts. Generally, stick to the lower end on reps for the compounds (5 x 5 or 3 x 5 is good) and go higher in the assistance work - between 8 - 15 generally, depending on the lift.

Even though I think he is a tool, Blaha's routine is pretty good: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Wow, this guy is such a cocky sumb!tch. But that looks like one solid novice workout plan, thank you for posting this, I'll have to try this out myself!
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If doing higher rep ranges don't matter if you are doing the same intensity, then why not just do the smaller reps.

919.gif

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If doing higher rep ranges don't matter if you are doing the same intensity, then why not just do the smaller reps.

919.gif

It's okay if you've confused yourself. I don't think anyone else is understanding you either.

3945233-0014960420-tumbl.gif

• ScottJTyler
    Options

It's okay if you've confused yourself. I don't think anyone else is understanding you either.

I understand that you think the best way to progress is to cut volume by 1/2 or even 1/3. Keep cutting volume until you're doing nothing at all and absolutely jacked!

• ScottJTyler
    Options
    It just descended into people getting basic things about training wrong and me correcting them.

It's funny that the answer to the original question was answered by two words in the first post.

DopeItUp wrote: »
    More food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It just descended into people getting basic things about training wrong and me correcting them.

It's funny that the answer to the original question was answered by two words in the first post.

DopeItUp wrote: »
    More food.

lulz.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

WHAA? Stronglifts is a 3x a week workout. Have you actually read the program????

man-pinching-back-his-nose-15518617.jpg

huh?

monday-legs
    tuesday-shoulders
    wednesday- biceps and triceps
    thursday- rest
    friday- chest
    saturday- active rest like yoga or something

I do 8-10 exercises. I go as heavy as i can. 3 sets per exercise (usually), 8-12 reps.

So that's 192-360 reps per week for each muscle group. That's likely to be more volume than 75 even accounting for the greater weight used in 5 x 5. I am aware SL is 3 per week. I was recommending that OP continue with her current volume but increase frequency i.e. spread the same volume over more workouts.
    The OP is also relatively new to lifting - 'optimal' routines vary on the individual, and especially where they are in their lifting life.

That's true but higher frequencies have generally been shown to work better and the OP said she is plateau-ing at 1x per week.

Because we all know that 1 day of super high volume > 3 days of more moderate volume, right???

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What's going on in here?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

monday-legs
    tuesday-shoulders
    wednesday- biceps and triceps
    thursday- rest
    friday- chest
    saturday- active rest like yoga or something

I do 8-10 exercises. I go as heavy as i can. 3 sets per exercise (usually), 8-12 reps.

So that's 192-360 reps per week for each muscle group. That's likely to be more volume than 75 even accounting for the greater weight used in 5 x 5. I am aware SL is 3 per week. I was recommending that OP continue with her current volume but increase frequency i.e. spread the same volume over more workouts.
    The OP is also relatively new to lifting - 'optimal' routines vary on the individual, and especially where they are in their lifting life.

That's true but higher frequencies have generally been shown to work better and the OP said she is plateau-ing at 1x per week.

Yes, and SL IS higher frequency. Full body workout have been shown to work better for those relatively new at lifting.

• ScottJTyler
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

No, you corrected nothing. And then you tried to post a study which you obviously didn't read, you got called on it and never replied to it.

You're just confused.

Yep it's an imperfect study. You did a good job of highlighting the limitations which were already pointed out by the analyser.
    It was just one of many recent studies suggesting that there is no intrinsic hypertrophy benefit for training in the 'hypertrophy rep range' and that it's all down to time under tension. It's probably unnecessary detail but I thought it would be worth correcting (clearly not as some people have academic inertia).

I would be interested to see some kind of evidence that a decrease in volume (all other variables constant) would result in increased hypertrophy.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is great for strength and beginners.

For a more intermediate lifting program (that's strength focused, though), you could consider Wendler's 5/3/1.

Great advice for someone interested in hypertrophy who has been lifting for a year.

how did I tell her to do less work? I'm pretty sure what I did was explain about rep ranges.

Those programs prescribe fewer sets and reps than she is currently doing.
    You explained rep ranges incorrectly.
    LOL, no.

Fewer sets and reps but higher weights, meaning intensity will stay at standard, or increase. 8-12 reps is easy, 5 reps with 90% is hard. If you don't understand that, go try it and find out.

Your understanding of Pika's explanation is what is lacking here.

For the OP, working a 5/3/1 would be fine, with added accessory work for aesthetics, if you're in the camp though that volume = intensity, suggest GVT.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Higher reps/lower weight preferences sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and lower reps/higher weight preferences myofibrullar hypertrophy. Please get this right you don't "Lose" muscle but you may lose some of the sarcoplasm surrounding the muscle fibres but that's not muscle per se.

So if you want to look like a body builder you should go for higher reps and if you want to look like an underclass powerlifter or Olympic lifter you should go for the lower rep ranges. It's a rather silly argument to be having until you want to know what the OP is aiming for.

http://baye.com/myth-of-sarcoplasmic-versus-myofibrillar-hypertrophy/

Have you ever seen a tangible difference in the 'look' of the muscles of a powerlifter vs a bodybuilder with similar bodyfat %s?

*points to Sara*

I think his point is that there is not really any. I agree to a degree. Specificity is a factor in choosing a routine however. Competitive BB'ers have to work at aesthetics. PL'ers do not.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Aren't you the same guy who isn't gaining on 6000 calories? :huh:

So I mean, how right are you really, because thus far in your posting history it doesn't actually seem like you know as much as your brain thinks it does...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    What's going on in here?

A newbie who is an expert of all things iron.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What's going on in here?

The usual.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    For anyone interested in more learning more about rep ranges (and why the can be a bit of a misnomer), this is a good video. One of Layne Norton's BioLayne Video Logs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GenviIWIeqA

• ScottJTyler
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What's going on in here?

A newbie who is an expert of all things iron.

Please quote one thing I have said which is incorrect.

Because we all know that 1 day of super high volume > 3 days of more moderate volume, right???

I have recommended higher frequency throughout this whole post. Yes 5x5 has good frequency but the overall volume for the week is too low (only 75 reps). I said to spread the 192-360 reps over the week rather than do it all in one workout.
  • ScottJTyler
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

8-12 reps is easy

Then you're doing it wrong.