If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »
    Poor food, poor health, poor diet is killing more people than Cocaine.
    This part, at least, is true.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So I have learnt that KFC isn't actually chicken, and I am not to blame for eating all the fast food (phew!) but what I am still not sure on is the whole cocaine / sugar /bicarb soda thing and which of these is best with chicken.

I don't know why everyone is dissing cocaine. I mean if you REALLY want to lose weight...coke is it!

But first you have to steal it from the Devil. That's the tricky part, the rest should be smooth sailing.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    We have been biologically programed from the beginning of time to be attracted to the easy fast calories and not to expend calories on tasks that is not needed for survival. Fast forward to this generation where food is easy to get, high in calories, and hits our pleasure centers and you have the perfect storm. Everything we eat and think has memory and those memories have a way of programing us to return to those easy pleasurable events.

You watch too much TV
  • fatcity66
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I don't know why people go so militantly on either side of the fence with this when it's obvious both factors - outside influences, and our own personal choice - come into play.

Because the righteous love to indict their lessers.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Is there data to back that up? Sounds absurd to me...
  • fatcity66
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

Seeing as ischemic heart disease (heart attack) is directly related to diet the majority of the time, I would say so.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    We have been biologically programed from the beginning of time to be attracted to the easy fast calories and not to expend calories on tasks that is not needed for survival. Fast forward to this generation where food is easy to get, high in calories, and hits our pleasure centers and you have the perfect storm. Everything we eat and think has memory and those memories have a way of programing us to return to those easy pleasurable events.

Am I a computer? Am I a computer program? Why do people keep saying I've been "programmed"? I'm having South Park anxiety now

Inputs. Inputs.
    Programming!

PRINT DAMN YOU PRINT!

PC Load letter? wth does that mean?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    So I have learnt that KFC isn't actually chicken, and I am not to blame for eating all the fast food (phew!) but what I am still not sure on is the whole cocaine / sugar /bicarb soda thing and which of these is best with chicken.

I don't know why everyone is dissing cocaine. I mean if you REALLY want to lose weight...coke is it!

But first you have to steal it from the Devil. That's the tricky part, the rest should be smooth sailing.

drama_llama222-95a26627fd034c544a49686bb0518dbb.jpg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

Doesnt sound absurd to me. In fact seems quite logically the case.

Although diet is only one factor in many diseases, there is little doubt that obesity (caused by over eating, ie diet) is a major factor in diseases like heart disease, diabetes, renal failure etc.

Even if one removed cases of the above known to have no lifestyle factor,eg congenital heart disease and Type 1 diabetes, then the number of people dying from cardiac disease and complications of diabetes would still be far more than those who die from cocaine use.

Of course this isnt saying cocaine use is safer than being obese - any more than, say, jumping off Sydney Harbour Bridge is safer than being obese - but it is still a numerical fact that far more people in Australia (for example) die from diseases in which obesity is a major factor, than who die from jumping off the bridge.
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is still going? LOL, page 23 now!

I think the overall lesson from it is, there is no one size fits all.
    I mentioned KFC as being bad, If I eat too much, I will get fat. Then someone aged 25 will reply, "I eat KFC all the time and I don't get fat".
    So, yeah, there is no magic formula that works for everyone. Everyone is different but I think the best, overall message that I'm sure we can possibly agree on? would be the word 'moderation' That covers everything.

Interesting how people pick up on something and twist and change it, take it out of context, rearrange it and come back with something completely different.

I mentioned KFC, that was meant as a generalisation of whats commonly described as fast food or junk food. Not my words.
    That little thing I said was blown up, dissected, changed and turned into 'toxic chicken'.
    Someone else mentioned baking soda, again, derision and mockery. (Not sure what the baking soda thing was about but I'm sure it was meant in a very different way than it was interpreted.)

LOL. Of course, easier to deride and mock rather than deal with the real issues being raised.

No one has the true, definitive answers and as this thread shows, there are so many opinions, truths, half truths and lies as well as a few genuine facts.

One thing that is pretty certain, Governments around the world are seeing what they call, an obesity epidemic. People are getting fatter and sicker and some countries (Denmark stands out here) are trying to get a grip on it all and sort it.

Sadly for me, that means eat more fruit and vegetables but I will still be eating the odd KFC from time to time :)

(Right, now, to help all the flamers, Trolls and people who just have nothing better to do, In the post I put the word 'lies'.
    To give you a head start and help you along a little, I suggest you take that word 'lies' make a post saying, "I said everything everyone has said is lies". There, off you go, have fun)
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I mentioned KFC as being bad, If I eat too much, I will get fat. Then someone aged 25 will reply, "I eat KFC all the time and I don't get fat".

KFC gives me the runs. It might make me lose weight...but I'd much rather eat Hardee's, or Pollards...and not have the runs.
    Anyone remember Po'folks? I miss their chicken and biscuits.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

So, yeah, there is no magic formula

Well, yes there is: eat less than you burn, ie eat at a calorie deficit.
    This is the magic formula that works for everyone.
    KFC is no more bad than anything else in that respect - if you eat too much you will get fat.
    - If a 25 year old, or anybody of any age for that matter, ate KFC every day but kept to a deficit, they would not get fat.

And, yes, the poster who started the baking soda kerfuffle really did say baking soda was toxic; except she used the chemical name.
    Look back and you will find exactly that.

• Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options

KFC is no more bad than anything else in that respect - if you eat too much you will get fat.
    - If a 25 year old, or anybody of any age for that matter, ate KFC every day but kept to a deficit, they would not get fat.

And, yes, the poster who started the baking soda kerfuffle really did say baking soda was toxic; except she used the chemical name.

OK, yeah, fair enough, you wouldn't get fat but you probably wouldn't be very healthy either.
    I think people get a bit hung up on Calorie intake v Health.
    Of course, being overweight isn't healthy but for me, personally it's about health as well.
    I can lose the weight but I also want to be more healthy.

Thin people still die from being unhealthy.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options

OK, yeah, fair enough, you wouldn't get fat but you probably wouldn't be very healthy either.
    I think people get a bit hung up on Calorie intake v Health.
    Of course, being overweight isn't healthy but for me, personally it's about health as well.
    I can lose the weight but I also want to be more healthy.

Thin people still die from being unhealthy.
    What most people here say is very simple. Don't label foods. Example is through all the 23 pages. The main premise is to have a healthy attitude towards food. And by food I mean all food including so called junk trash etc. Taking personal responsibility for your choices. And stop blaming food, corporation s and government for your bad choices. People need to educate themselves regarding nutrition from credible sources. Not from the food documentaries that propogate fear mongering.
  • J72FIT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Seeing as ischemic heart disease (heart attack) is directly related to diet the majority of the time, I would say so.

That's interesting, let's look at the risk factors. Risk factors (dietary) include high blood pressure, high cholesterol and or triglycerides, diabetes and obesity. That's interesting because it's the obesity that is most directly related to high blood pressure. May or may not be related to cholesterol. Definetely related to diabetes. Food in and of itself does not make us obese though, over-eaitng and sedentary lifestyle (no exercise) make us obese.

Other risk factors: tobacco use, age, family history, lack of physical activity, stress, illegal drug use, preeclampsia, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. None related to diet...

So I would say heart attack is not directly related to diet at all...
  • J72FIT
    Options

Doesnt sound absurd to me. In fact seems quite logically the case.

Although diet is only one factor in many diseases, there is little doubt that obesity (caused by over eating, ie diet) is a major factor in diseases like heart disease, diabetes, renal failure etc.

Even if one removed cases of the above known to have no lifestyle factor,eg congenital heart disease and Type 1 diabetes, then the number of people dying from cardiac disease and complications of diabetes would still be far more than those who die from cocaine use.

Of course this isnt saying cocaine use is safer than being obese - any more than, say, jumping off Sydney Harbour Bridge is safer than being obese - but it is still a numerical fact that far more people in Australia (for example) die from diseases in which obesity is a major factor, than who die from jumping off the bridge.

Then we get back to what makes us fat? Certain foods, macros etc or just plain old overeating and sedentary lifestyle?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Agree with me or not I don't care I just think some people need to stop looking for so many reasons to why they got fat or who's fault it is and instead maybe go out for a jog.

I agree with you. It's bizarre that people look for deeper reasons that they overeat and are sedentary, as opposed to seeing overeating and a sedentary lifestyle as the reasons that they're overweight.

The reason I overeat is, and the reason for that reason, and the reason for those reasons, and cuz reasons times infinity.

How fruitless. And seeking out deeper reasons for why we do anything, along with having a ring of scapegoating to it, also has an uncanny resemblance to stalling...dilly dallying...farting around...

• fatcity66
    Options

That's interesting, let's look at the risk factors. Risk factors (dietary) include high blood pressure, high cholesterol and or triglycerides, diabetes and obesity. That's interesting because it's the obesity that is most directly related to high blood pressure. May or may not be related to cholesterol. Definetely related to diabetes. Food in and of itself does not make us obese though, over-eaitng and sedentary lifestyle (no exercise) make us obese.

Other risk factors: tobacco use, age, family history, lack of physical activity, stress, illegal drug use, preeclampsia, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. None related to diet...

So I would say heart attack is not directly related to diet at all...

Then you're fooling yourself.