Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    OP, you're from Hamilton. Most margarine in Ontario is 0 trans fat and 0 hydrogenated oils.
    Eat butter if you like it but there is nothing wrong with most margarines here.
    Go Habs. Leafs suck.

I tend to have margarine more then butter but I stay away from bread so my consumption of either is very minimal.

Are you from Hamilton?
    No, but I lived in Montreal in the 70s :smiley:
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    [/quote]
    A 32oz bag of Tyson chicken nuggets is $4.99. You can buy enough organic, no hormone, no antibiotic chicken, eggs to make egg wash and breading to make the same amount of chicken nuggets (maybe 30 in a bag?) For less than $5? Because when I was at the store this weekend the organic, boneless skinless chicken breast was $8.99/lb.
    [/quote]

Hi, I am not sure what your geographical location is but I my chicken breasts are not 8.99/lbs but I am a bargain shopper of sorts. I look at my local flyers and shop accordingly.
    My grocery bill is always higher when their is boxed foods or processed eats in the cart.

I plan my weekly consumption before shopping and always go with a grocery list.

I am a family of four (6 if you include our four legged members). I have to be diligent with my spending and that includes our groceries.
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    Apparently I am not very good at quoting ^ lol
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

How do you not eat processed foods? Please elaborate.

Only buy fresh fruits and veggies. Uncooked meats from the butcher shop (or local grocery) pay attention to things packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients it's more processed than "clean" eating recommends. Use spices to add more flavor. Processed foods adds sugar and sodium and other things to add flavor to their foods. Go to WHOLE 30 and see their grocery list and that's clean eating, with some paleo added to it. But it will give you an idea.

the meat at the butcher is processed…how do you think it gets into the form of steaks, ground meat, etc?
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

How do you not eat processed foods? Please elaborate.

Only buy fresh fruits and veggies. Uncooked meats from the butcher shop (or local grocery) pay attention to things packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients it's more processed than "clean" eating recommends. Use spices to add more flavor. Processed foods adds sugar and sodium and other things to add flavor to their foods. Go to WHOLE 30 and see their grocery list and that's clean eating, with some paleo added to it. But it will give you an idea.

the meat at the butcher is processed…how do you think it gets into the form of steaks, ground meat, etc?

when "clean" eaters and "healthy" eaters talk about "processing" or "processed" foods, most people understand that they mean added preservatives and artificial flavor enhancements that are not found naturally in the food...i.e. mass produced foods. Noone denies that a butcher cutting up a cow into steaks is a form of processing. BUT...the folks who feel they must make fun of "clean" or "healthy" eating hang onto this fact and beat the poor dead horse relentlessly.

I am not making fun of anything…I am pointing out the fallacy of saying that meat you get at a butcher is not "processed"….

I simply adore your straw man fallacy with the word processed! high five dude.

exactly how is it a straw man to say that meat from the butcher is processed, when it is in fact processed?

take a break. noone will deny that cutting up a cow or pulling a potato out of the ground is a "process". That is not the kind of "processing" that clean or healthy eaters are talking about.

"clean" eaters and healthy eaters are not one in the same....I would consider myself to be a healthy eater, but in no way would I consider myself a "clean" eater.

Most "healthy" eaters , don't throw out the "I don't eat processed food" BS
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Again, my choice IS not avoid and not eat pre-made, boxed/bagged goods found at your fast food or groceries stores.

My opinion and my own commitment to myself. It was not, in anyway, meant to offend or disrespect anyone else or another persons own personal goals.

I love making my own dinners, I enjoying flavouring my dishes and doing the prep work. I stated that clean eating may not have been the correct word choice but my goals are to eat healthier and to commit to my own personal health. Just like the next person here

I am on day 8, I never knew that this was such a hot topic.

So here it goes:
    I, Melanie, make a commitment to eat healthier in a way that is best for my goals and my plans for myself and my family. It is not to offend or persecute anyone on MFP but to see results and make a strong, sustainable, achievable plan for myself.
    I choose not to buy for convenience but to make other foods convenient.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here we are on page seven of the dog pile. OP: Again, good for you for trying to eat more healthy foods. You're on the right track! Now, keep a deficit to lose weight and you'll be awesome.

yet, you keep coming back to the "dog pile"

Indeed. Did I say I wasn't? Nope. Periodically I reply as well. Not part of the pile, however.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

"clean" eaters and healthy eaters are not one in the same....I would consider myself to be a healthy eater, but in no way would I consider myself a "clean" eater.

We really need to eliminate the term "processed", it really doesn't mean much. I prefer the term "convenience" foods. Convenience foods are things like boxed dinners that you add your own meat to. They are heat and eat meals, They are deli meats (whether pre-packaged or sliced at the deli). They are canned soups. They are "instant" anything. I could go on and on. People who are trying to eliminate added sodium, sugar, some additives, etc. would do well to avoid those and make their own from whole foods as much as possible. Some times it isn't practical. I buy deli meats for my sandwiches, but stick to Boar's Head no salt added versions.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

A 32oz bag of Tyson chicken nuggets is $4.99. You can buy enough organic, no hormone, no antibiotic chicken, eggs to make egg wash and breading to make the same amount of chicken nuggets (maybe 30 in a bag?) For less than $5? Because when I was at the store this weekend the organic, boneless skinless chicken breast was $8.99/lb.

Wow, where do you shop? By me they were $3.99 lb. (The regular, non organic were $2.49)

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Again, my choice IS not avoid and not eat pre-made, boxed/bagged goods found at your fast food or groceries stores.

My opinion and my own commitment to myself. It was not, in anyway, meant to offend or disrespect anyone else or another persons own personal goals.

I love making my own dinners, I enjoying flavouring my dishes and doing the prep work. I stated that clean eating may not have been the correct word choice but my goals are to eat healthier and to commit to my own personal health. Just like the next person here

I am on day 8, I never knew that this was such a hot topic.

So here it goes:
    I, Melanie, make a commitment to eat healthier in a way that is best for my goals and my plans for myself and my family. It is not to offend or persecute anyone on MFP but to see results and make a strong, sustainable, achievable plan for myself.
    I choose not to buy for convenience but to make other foods convenient.

No one seems to be offended or feeling disrespected. They're just having a conversation.

When you post a topic, people will discuss it. That's how forums work. Try not to take people discussing a topic you posted so personally.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My choice is to eat healthier to eat smarter and to not add sugar into my diet.
    Again, I state "my choice."

I choose to not eat food that comes out of a box

I choose to eat whole foods

I choose to not add or eat foods with sugar.

I ate real oatmeal today

I will eat chick pea salad with kale

I will eat chicken breast and veggies for dinner

I will drink my water.

I choose not to eat breads. Not only because I do not want to but because it bothers my stomachs.

I do eat meat but not meat out of a box, protein in which I bake myself.

I guess my error was to use the words "clean eating" and to use a photo from google. I was trying to find a starting ground for myself. A goal setting initiative for myself.

I am trying and attempting to eat healthier. I don't want to eat "convenience" foods but rather to meal plan and prep my weeks foods. I want to succeed.

I never meant to start a war or a debate.

It was never a war! What you are doing sounds really good and healthy. And I sure hope you succeed. But just try to think if you can live the rest of your life giving up restaurant meals burgers your favorite dessert s etc. Because to really be successful you have to keep this change forever and make it a lifestyle. If you can do it then you've got it. Personally I know I can't give up chocolate cake burgers etc so I cook meals throughout the week and on weekends try to fit ' junk' in my calorie limit.
    Don't take all the comments personally. If you search for previous clean eating threads they will probably look just like this one.
    Good luck with your endeavor.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi, I am not sure what your geographical location is but I my chicken breasts are not 8.99/lbs but I am a bargain shopper of sorts. I look at my local flyers and shop accordingly.
    My grocery bill is always higher when their is boxed foods or processed eats in the cart.

I plan my weekly consumption before shopping and always go with a grocery list.

I am a family of four (6 if you include our four legged members). I have to be diligent with my spending and that includes our groceries. [/quote]

I'm in Missouri. The price of the organic, hormone free, antibiotic free chicken at the regular grocery store is around $9/lb. The cheapest I've seen it is $4.99/lb and that was for thighs.

I agree convenience foods can add up but you said you could make chicken nuggets cheaper and I'm not sure thats possible if you use the "clean" chicken...

There is also a time cost associated to making all the same food at home. I too have a family of four but I would rather play with my kids after school/work and throw together some hamburger helper than make a full meal from scratch. I enjoy cooking from scratch too, but I usually save that for the weekends.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    More power to you OP. I'm sure you've learned by now that MFP is the land of Butthurt and cat gifs.

If you prefer to eat the way you outlined in the OP, and it makes you feel good, go for it. Not everyone's definition of a good life includes nightly oreos, McDonald's and ice cream poptart sandwiches (which sounds so damn good).

Do you. Enjoy the process. I certainly think your approach does tend to make it much easier to control cravings and many people have attested to having other health improvements eating a diet largely composed of more nutritionally dense, whole fare. You might even be able to consistently lose without calorie counting eating in this manner.

Just know that you aren't bad or wrong if you decide to have some pop, a cookie, chips or grab some fast food once in awhile. Do yourself the favor of not villainizing any food, even if you chose to limit certain kinds of food for your goals. That guilt is worthless and ultimately can be a huge stumbling block.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've learned by now that MFP is the land of Butthurt and cat gifs.

butthurt-cat-o.gif

Two birds, one stone.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm sure you've learned by now that MFP is the land of Butthurt and cat gifs.

butthurt-cat-o.gif

Two birds, one stone.
    Actually, yes.
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    Hi, I do spend time with my kids and really to imply that I spend more time I the kitchen then with them is a low blow. My children cook with me, we sit at the ramble and eat dinner as a family then we finish off by doing the dishes and clean up together. But that is how I run dinner time at home and not necessarily the way every house is or should be.

It takes an all of 15 min to prep a chicken breast to be baked in the oven or my husband to BBQ them.

I work every day and come home and take my kids to events, sports etc and I time manage my day to include dinner. It's how it works for me, for us.

It wasn't me who makes chicken nuggets :( although I am sure my kids would eat that up.

I disagree with pop being drank and I do not permit my kids to have any form of dark pop however there are times when they get it but they understand how bad if is for them. < again is my choice and my right to say so. I am sure I opened up another can just now.

"villainizing" ..... really? I believe I stated numerous times this is my choice and was never meant to make anyone or thing into a villain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi, I do spend time with my kids and really to imply that I spend more time I the kitchen then with them is a low blow. My children cook with me, we sit at the ramble and eat dinner as a family then we finish off by doing the dishes and clean up together. But that is how I run dinner time at home and not necessarily the way every house is or should be.
    Did someone actually suggest that? If so, good Lord we've lost our way as a society.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Kruggeri suggested that making meals from scratch everyday would take time away from her kids, so she'd rather do that on the weekends.

I highly doubt she meant it to insult anyone. Personally I think people assume from-scratch cooking is far more time consuming than it is, but regardless if she thinks that cooking from scratch will cost her play time with the rugrats, than that's her take and prerogative.

I don't think anybody meant to imply that the OP doesn't care as much about spending time with her family (though I know plenty of people do make that implication when they feel cornered and judged about their reliance on convenience foods).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

It takes an all of 15 min to prep a chicken breast to be baked in the oven or my husband to BBQ them.

I work every day and come home and take my kids to events, sports etc and I time manage my day to include dinner. It's how it works for me, for us.

It wasn't me who makes chicken nuggets :( although I am sure my kids would eat that up.

I disagree with pop being drank and I do not permit my kids to have any form of dark pop however there are times when they get it but they understand how bad if is for them. < again is my choice and my right to say so. I am sure I opened up another can just now.

"villainizing" ..... really? I believe I stated numerous times this is my choice and was never meant to make anyone or thing into a villain.

You are working way too hard at being offended. No one said you didn't spend time with your kids, they as you stated their choice to go with quicker prepared meals during the week that allows them more time to play with their kids. So drop the oh poor me, you posted a topic on a public forum, people are discussing that is what forums are for.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

Umm, re-read my post.

And this time try to take note of the fact that I was supporting your dietary choices.

Also yes, when you say pop is a "bad" food you are villainizing that food. That's not a moral judgment, that's just a fact. I was suggesting that if you, or your kids, have a pop, or some chips, store bought cookies, whatever, once in a while there's no need to feel bad or guilty about that. Moralizing food choices, regardless of your diet, can lead to more ill than good. THAT was the point; I was making no commentary on what you actually eat.
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    I am opinionated. Always have been that way. When comments are made that I feel are defensible or even derogatory then I can't stay still or silent. It's not being over sensitive. I quite a strong and level headed person. It's stating my words so they are clear and my points are reiterated when I feel it is required. As you said it is an open forum.

I am not asking for everyone to be on my side or agree with my thought process but my original post was to have a network of people who are trying the same thing.

But I do hope this whole conversation ends. There are so much more beautiful things we can chat about versus this never ending debate.