Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• thornborrow193
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    LOL Montreal Canadiens
    Sorry, that's all I have to contribute.
    The concept of "Clean Eating" is rather ridiculous.

Personal attacks are not welcome but if you insist on going down the NHL road let me clarify a few facts for you
    1. My habs are #1 overall right now with a record of 14-4-1
    2. Habs have the most Stanley cups to date - 24 times
    3. Habs also have claimed another 25 NHL titles and are the most successful team in the League
    3. Founded in 1909, Montreal has one of the richest histories in the game with over 100 years and have produced some of the games all time legends like Rocket Richard, ken Dryden and Guy LaPointe. Currently my Habbitants is the home for Carey Price, PK Subban and Max Paceretti.
    4. Maurice "Rocket" Richard was the first NHL player to ever have a 50 goal season
    5. Jacques Planet was the first goaltender to consistently wear a mask.
    6. Montreal has more then 50 players inducted into the hall of fame.

Ask me why I love my Canadiens, because no other team has more heart, more history within the game. As one of the original six, I am proud to wear any one of my four jerseys on any day of the week!!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Leaving aside the whole "clean eating" debate, and concentrating instead on eating whole foods:

The biggest problem I find is in planning accurately. I often have to throw things out because I purchased too much variety and didn't get to it all, or my beloved whisked me away for a meal so I didn't cook what I had planned. Some things can be frozen, if I remember, but for this reason I try to always have a range of fresh and frozen veggies, and I often make extra servings of anything I cook so I can freeze it.

if you freeze it and then reheat it, it is processed = bad ….< sarcasm…lol

:# But it's different if I process it myself as opposed to some amorphous devil food company processing it with addictive substances and bug legs and stuff...right?

yes, of course..

processed by you = good; processed by food company = evil….

I should think when processing at home though people don't choose to add 0.5g of man made transfats.

But then I doubt food companies would either, I mean apart from making the processing of the meal cheaper, what would be their incentive?

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    So a burger I make myself and eat on a whole grain bun is unclean because it's a burger, even though it's lean meat and brown bread?

This is why clean eating makes no sense.

burgers as in fast food, you know McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, you get the picture.

whats wrong with a wendy's burger if it fits into your calorie and macro goal for the day?

In small quantities nothing is wrong with junk food! but it should be limited!

Sadly not everyone can limit their intake of junk food to 'small'.

• thornborrow193
    Options
    Leaving aside the whole "clean eating" debate, and concentrating instead on eating whole foods:

The biggest problem I find is in planning accurately. I often have to throw things out because I purchased too much variety and didn't get to it all, or my beloved whisked me away for a meal so I didn't cook what I had planned. Some things can be frozen, if I remember, but for this reason I try to always have a range of fresh and frozen veggies, and I often make extra servings of anything I cook so I can freeze it.

:# But it's different if I process it myself as opposed to some amorphous devil food company processing it with addictive substances and bug legs and stuff...right?

I mean apart from making the processing of the meal cheaper, what would be their incentive?

I do not find processed foods cheaper. I can buy 5-6 chicken breast for the same price as a box of breaded chicken nuggets.

They are made for convience that is whole premise around fast food places as well.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I mean apart from making the processing of the meal cheaper, what would be their incentive?

I do not find processed foods cheaper. I can buy 5-6 chicken breast for the same price as a box of breaded chicken nuggets.

They are made for convience that is whole premise around fast food places as well.

A 32oz bag of Tyson chicken nuggets is $4.99. You can buy enough organic, no hormone, no antibiotic chicken, eggs to make egg wash and breading to make the same amount of chicken nuggets (maybe 30 in a bag?) For less than $5? Because when I was at the store this weekend the organic, boneless skinless chicken breast was $8.99/lb.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    So a burger I make myself and eat on a whole grain bun is unclean because it's a burger, even though it's lean meat and brown bread?

This is why clean eating makes no sense.

burgers as in fast food, you know McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, you get the picture.

The post did not say that, and although several of us asked we were not answered, so I don't think you can assume that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

How do you not eat processed foods? Please elaborate.

Only buy fresh fruits and veggies. Uncooked meats from the butcher shop (or local grocery) pay attention to things packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients it's more processed than "clean" eating recommends. Use spices to add more flavor. Processed foods adds sugar and sodium and other things to add flavor to their foods. Go to WHOLE 30 and see their grocery list and that's clean eating, with some paleo added to it. But it will give you an idea.

the meat at the butcher is processed…how do you think it gets into the form of steaks, ground meat, etc?
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes, of course..

processed by you = good; processed by food company = evil….

I should think when processing at home though people don't choose to add 0.5g of man made transfats.

But then I doubt food companies would either, I mean apart from making the processing of the meal cheaper, what would be their incentive?

that was said in jest….
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you eat a regular diet it will, for the most part, be a clean diet. I do not eat processed foods, usually, and I cook for myself every day including meal prep for breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. I feel as though most people who eat regular balanced diets eat pretty clean, and if they want to go out and have a burger and a beer then let them.

PS - if you try to do this 100% clean from eating processed or highly refined foods for 8 weeks you will more than likely go stir crazy. Try to do like 75% clean and 25% dirty or something.

Only buy fresh fruits and veggies. Uncooked meats from the butcher shop (or local grocery) pay attention to things packaged, if it has more than 5 ingredients it's more processed than "clean" eating recommends. Use spices to add more flavor. Processed foods adds sugar and sodium and other things to add flavor to their foods. Go to WHOLE 30 and see their grocery list and that's clean eating, with some paleo added to it. But it will give you an idea.

Lots of meats you can buy from the butcher shop and grocery are highly processed. Ground turkey with essentially no fat, boneless skinless chicken breast, and turkey bacon are popular items for many "clean" eaters that fit that category. Of course all commercially sold meat is processed by law in many states, including that I get from a local farm.

Why is my yogurt, oats, or flour--one ingredient only--not processed. My quick oats are only one ingredient but we were told above they are unclean. In a recent thread it was explained by someone that flour is by definition highly processed and unclean and so, of course, is bread made of just it, water, and yeast.

Also whole30 bans potatoes. How are they more processed or unnatural than the foods I mentioned?

• lemurcat12
    edited November 2014
    Options

Why assume you must eat "clean" to not base your diet on chicken nuggets in a box. I never ate that stuff but don't assume I deserve some prize or label for that.

Processed is a much broader category than food in a box. (Although there are some boxed pasta that have the same basic ingredients as the bagged ones.)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

the meat at the butcher is processed…how do you think it gets into the form of steaks, ground meat, etc?

when "clean" eaters and "healthy" eaters talk about "processing" or "processed" foods, most people understand that they mean added preservatives and artificial flavor enhancements that are not found naturally in the food...i.e. mass produced foods. Noone denies that a butcher cutting up a cow into steaks is a form of processing. BUT...the folks who feel they must make fun of "clean" or "healthy" eating hang onto this fact and beat the poor dead horse relentlessly.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

when "clean" eaters and "healthy" eaters talk about "processing" or "processed" foods, most people understand that they mean added preservatives and artificial flavor enhancements that are not found naturally in the food...i.e. mass produced foods. Noone denies that a butcher cutting up a cow into steaks is a form of processing. BUT...the folks who feel they must make fun of "clean" or "healthy" eating hang onto this fact and beat the poor dead horse relentlessly.

I am not making fun of anything…I am pointing out the fallacy of saying that meat you get at a butcher is not "processed"….
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I am not making fun of anything…I am pointing out the fallacy of saying that meat you get at a butcher is not "processed"….

I simply adore your straw man fallacy with the word processed! high five dude.

• ndj1979
    Options

exactly how is it a straw man to say that meat from the butcher is processed, when it is in fact processed?

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    OP, you're from Hamilton. Most margarine in Ontario is 0 trans fat and 0 hydrogenated oils.
    Eat butter if you like it but there is nothing wrong with most margarines here.
    Go Habs. Leafs suck.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

I would say SOME "clean eaters" (whatever definition you choose to use here) think that way, but I would wager quite a few believe that meat you buy from a butcher isn't "processed"
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

exactly how is it a straw man to say that meat from the butcher is processed, when it is in fact processed?

take a break. noone will deny that cutting up a cow or pulling a potato out of the ground is a "process". That is not the kind of "processing" that clean or healthy eaters are talking about.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

take a break. noone will deny that cutting up a cow or pulling a potato out of the ground is a "process". That is not the kind of "processing" that clean or healthy eaters are talking about.

Lol agreed there - actually paying for a an apple at the store through the checkout is a process!
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    OP, you're from Hamilton. Most margarine in Ontario is 0 trans fat and 0 hydrogenated oils.
    Eat butter if you like it but there is nothing wrong with most margarines here.
    Go Habs. Leafs suck.

I tend to have margarine more then butter but I stay away from bread so my consumption of either is very minimal.

Are you from Hamilton?