What are some good reasons to be thin?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people here don't know what "thin" means.

You all are saying you don't want to be thin and then describing what you do want...and the descriptions are thin bodies, lol. You do want to be thin.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think a lot of people here don't know what "thin" means.

You all are saying you don't want to be thin and then describing what you do want...and the descriptions are thin bodies, lol. You do want to be thin.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess it's okay if you call it toned or lean....which both mean thin.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    almc170 wrote: »
    I'm donating a kidney to my husband in two weeks. By taking care of my health, I'm able to do something that will improve his life.
    Wow! That is a very unselfish reason and awesome reason!
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd rather replace "thin" with healthy & strong... just saying. I don't want to be thin.

^^this!

Good luck - keep reading the good stuff on the forum and you will see changes.

most important: Confidence :)

• SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    if by thin you mean fit and healthy, then the best reason is for respect of yourself! which totally translates into more confidence, sexiness and all that other good stuff in all areas of your life :D plus it feels so much better on your joints moving around weighing less.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I'm donating a kidney to my husband in two weeks. By taking care of my health, I'm able to do something that will improve his life.
    If this is true, you should contact a book agent or TV movie people.

The odds of a person being a match to their spouse are so tiny I don't even know the word for it. You have hit a lottery there and it's the kind of story that would sell.

You should seriously look into writing a book and making some money off of it. God knows you all have gone through enough bad stuff, take some good!!!
  • rsandem
    rsandem Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This might seem silly, but I like that my body jiggles far less when driving over a bumpy road. And I agree with the healthy & fit goal, not "thin".
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If this is true, you should contact a book agent or TV movie people.

The odds of a person being a match to their spouse are so tiny I don't even know the word for it. You have hit a lottery there and it's the kind of story that would sell.

You should seriously look into writing a book and making some money off of it. God knows you all have gone through enough bad stuff, take some good!!!
    It's actually not as uncommon as you might think; I know of several other people who are matches for their spouses. The criteria for matching donors is much less stringent than it once was, due to improved medications and developments from transplant research.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thin is not an indication of health.

Neither is "toned", "lean" or whatever other word you want to use.

Good health is when the body is functioning properly, no disease is present.

There's no one body type that has the market on health.

NO, I'm not one of those "fat and healthy" believers, so let's not go down that road.

Obviously, being overweight can be bad for one's health over the long term.

But people can lose weight and not be "thin", yet still have a clean bill of health.

One can be carrying a few extra pounds (literally a few, not like 50) and still be healthy.

If people want to be "thin", that's fine.

But that's for vanity purposes, not for health purposes.

Some people don't like the word "thin" because it has zero to do with health and everything to do with appearance.

That and it can be an unrealistic goal. Some people out there will NEVER be "thin". Maybe they have loose skin. Maybe they're not interested in "thin" and their goal is to put on muscle. People with high muscle concentrations are not "thin".

"Thin" also is reminiscent of society's expectation of women to have a certain body type, and plenty of women aren't interested in that.

Many people also associate (rightly or wrongly, depending on the person) "thin" with eating disorders.

These are reasons why people say they want to be "healthy" and not necessarily "thin".
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the negative connotations of "thin" are related to societal expectations, and most often applied to men. That is, "thin" as "skinny" or "scrawny", as opposed to "built" or "muscular". The media ideal for a man is to be built, so "thin" is levelled as an insult.

It's far more rare to hear "thin" as an insult being directed at women in 2014 in western countries. Except maybe by old-world Italian or Jewish grandmothers. "Eat something, you're too thin!"

"Thin" can be negative in the context of eating disorders, of course. It can also be negative in the context of people who truly don't have enough to eat, which, let's not forget, still affects millions of people around the world.

Having a little extra fat on your bones used to be a sign of wealth and status, because it meant you could afford to have enough to eat and to live a life of luxury. It's only in relatively recent modern history that we as a society have gotten so rich that we see more obesity among the poor and less among the rich. In the context of human history, this is a bit of an anomaly.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I think a lot of the negative connotations of "thin" are related to societal expectations, and most often applied to men. That is, "thin" as "skinny" or "scrawny", as opposed to "built" or "muscular". The media ideal for a man is to be built, so "thin" is levelled as an insult.

It's far more rare to hear "thin" as an insult being directed at women in 2014 in western countries. Except maybe by old-world Italian or Jewish grandmothers. "Eat something, you're too thin!"

"Thin" can be negative in the context of eating disorders, of course. It can also be negative in the context of people who truly don't have enough to eat, which, let's not forget, still affects millions of people around the world.

Having a little extra fat on your bones used to be a sign of wealth and status, because it meant you could afford to have enough to eat and to live a life of luxury. It's only in relatively recent modern history that we as a society have gotten so rich that we see more obesity among the poor and less among the rich. In the context of human history, this is a bit of an anomaly.

It is an interesting wealth paradox to be in a society that is so awash in food that people actually have diseases related to overeating and actually struggle to not eat as much as they could. It would be a very strange concept to people in most times and places.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It is an interesting wealth paradox to be in a society that is so awash in food that people actually have diseases related to overeating and actually struggle to not eat as much as they could. It would be a very strange concept to people in most times and places.

Indeed. And due to food deserts, educational inequalities, and the fact that the rich can afford to spend more time at the gym or with personal trainers (or, heck, plastic surgery), now we have a weird reverse situation where being thin is a sign of luxury and status.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Indeed. And due to food deserts, educational inequalities, and the fact that the rich can afford to spend more time at the gym or with personal trainers (or, heck, plastic surgery), now we have a weird reverse situation where being thin is a sign of luxury and status.

I'll have to dig up the study but I remember hearing that for women there is a negative correlation between income and weight but for men it's positive. It seems that because men in lower income brackets tend to be the ones with manual labour jobs while women tend to work out more as they rise in income.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    BZAH, I got there with a LOT of help, not just lifestyle changes. I have a team assigned to me including a Dietitian, a Physio therapist, a Psychologist, and a Surgeon. I had gastric bypass surgery this past summer, losing 40 lbs before surgery and now 40 lbs afterwards. Your mom is right to be concerned if she can do this on her own.

We each do what works for us. I don't have a team assigned to me (since I didn't have bypass surgery) but I'm determined to lose over 100 pounds. Including what I lost prior to finding MFP, I'm close to 60 down right now. Losing another 50 will happen. That's what's so great about being able to use MFP, IMO, the tools are free and the process works!

I think her mom CAN do it on her own, if she has the right mindset.

55835802.png

Awesome progress! That's amazing. And thank you for the kind words.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'll throw out another silly reason. I used to drop food on myself all the time. All my shirts were littered with "phantom" stains from it. I always thought it was because I ate fast or was clumsy. As I lost weight I noticed I didn't have the same problem. I still eat fast and still am clumsy. Sauces still end up on my chin etc. I figured out that the reason I don't get food on myself though is because I'm actually sitting closer to the table now. The food is either falling back on my plate and/or the fork/spoon doesn't have to hover over my belly for those extra seconds before getting to my mouth. Sounds silly but it's true.
    That's a great one!

Texting is easier when your fingers are less fat, too.

There are so many small reasons why it's better to be thin. :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

Good for you! I wish you both a speedy recovery and many years of health and happiness!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kelly39014 wrote: »
    As opposed to being overweight just looking for some extra motivation!

To fit between the bars in a jail break attempt.
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    kelly39014 wrote: »
    As opposed to being overweight just looking for some extra motivation!

To fit between the bars in a jail break attempt.
    Haha that's funny the reason I am calling it thin is because when I used to be average my mother would tell me you're too thin! But I feel like society has a certain image we need to obtain to fit in to the ideal image of what's attractive vs what's not and it makes me feel like why should I have to be a certain weight just to appease society? But really in the long run I have really made up my mind that I'm doing it for me not for anyone else so I think that's enough motivation to keep myself going and not caring what anyone thinks as I continue to lose weight
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    More clothing choices
    Cheaper clothing choices (plus size clothes are always more expensive)
    Better bathing suits
    Easier to buy bras
    Can shop in the juniors section if you need more selection

THIS!!