225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    PeteSede wrote: »
    funny thread because my friend and I just made our ´bucket list´ and one of mine is just getting 300lbs 1x. I was getting 265 back when I was in my mid-20s, but haven´t lifted seriously in a long time. At 45 years old, I am going to make the push and see if I can get it.

I'm in a similar situation for my bucket list but I wouldn't mind hitting 3 plates. It has been a bit of a dream for me ever since I hit 275 years ago but haven't been seriously lifting for a long time. It would be nice to see if I could climb back to 275 for the end of next year, which isn't too much more than my current 1rm so should be doable.

Yeah 3 plates here too, and at least 4 plates on squat and 6 on deadlift. Then, maybe... just maybe, I will be able to OHP 135#.

Really? I do 135 OHP for reps and you are stronger then me.
    It's probably that I have shoulder mo issues, and I never OHP, so when I put 105 up, I shuck and jive like Marty McFly in an earthquake.

While eating herring.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    aw I'm sad- my bucket list goal right now is 2 plates. <le sigh>
    - being a chick blows sometimes.

I could take this in so many directions...lol

I mean guys take that direction too- it's not a one gender roll.

just saying. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options

just saying. ;)
    that was college and it was once.

er, thrice.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    funny thread because my friend and I just made our ´bucket list´ and one of mine is just getting 300lbs 1x. I was getting 265 back when I was in my mid-20s, but haven´t lifted seriously in a long time. At 45 years old, I am going to make the push and see if I can get it.

I'm in a similar situation for my bucket list but I wouldn't mind hitting 3 plates. It has been a bit of a dream for me ever since I hit 275 years ago but haven't been seriously lifting for a long time. It would be nice to see if I could climb back to 275 for the end of next year, which isn't too much more than my current 1rm so should be doable.

Yeah 3 plates here too, and at least 4 plates on squat and 6 on deadlift. Then, maybe... just maybe, I will be able to OHP 135#.

It's probably that I have shoulder mo issues, and I never OHP, so when I put 105 up, I shuck and jive like Marty McFly in an earthquake.

While eating herring.

Makes sense now.
  • redfisher1974
    Options

just saying. ;)

You do have a good point!
  • JoRocka
    Options

just saying. ;)
    that was college and it was once.

er, thrice.

it still happened. no shame- but don't hide. come on- that's just worse.
  • dbmata
    Options

While eating herring.

Makes sense now.
    Shoulder dislocs with a pvc are the prescription, and they suck.
  • mitchfergustitus
    mitchfergustitus Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How about the woman doing her body weight? I saw one of the women's fitness competitions and that is what they were doing, seeing who could bench their body weight the most times. The winner was able to bench her body weight 44 times
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    How about the woman doing her body weight? I saw one of the women's fitness competitions and that is what they were doing, seeing who could bench their body weight the most times. The winner was able to bench her body weight 44 times

They are some strong women that's for sure. A few of them work out at my gym and they get nothing but respect.
  • JoRocka
    Options

*kitten* that.... if you're a fat *kitten* that's just not fair.

at 165 pounds that is 90% of my 1 rmp.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Get this, I went to my local pharmacy to buy smelling salts or ammonia capsules.

The pharmacist told me they don't exist, and I must have been thinking about iodine capsules for first aid kits.

>_<

http://www.amazon.com/Nose-Tork-Smelling-Salts-Powerlifting/dp/B00J9PVPW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416867894&sr=8-1

This is what I use.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Excellent rec, thanks. I need to make an amazon order too.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Any guys here that can bench their body weight 44 times. I know I can't.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    10 times for my body weight.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'm not even close right now to benching my body weight one time. :(
    In regards to my earlier posting about my progress stalling out despite only lifting for 6 weeks, I wonder if one issue is that I've primarily been benching in the 10-15 rep range. Perhaps going lower may help?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Any guys here that can bench their body weight 44 times. I know I can't.

Sounds like an interesting challenge. I'm not one for volume but I should be able to get over 25 at my body weight if I worked on it since it's about 65% of my current max.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options

Remember who you are talking about, though. They are very lean and likely on PED just like bodybuilders and other athletes and for their sport this probably includes EPO. Makes a huge difference from natural lifting.
  • dbmata
    Options
    In regards to my earlier posting about my progress stalling out despite only lifting for 6 weeks, I wonder if one issue is that I've primarily been benching in the 10-15 rep range. Perhaps going lower may help?

What program are you using?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

That's a pretty high rep range. I would probably bring it down to the 6 to 8 rep range or lower if you are trying to build strength.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    I have no "scientific" proof backed up by papers and such,(some may get this lol) but One way to increase your bench is to do 3 sets of 6 with enough weight to get the first 2 sets of 6 then only 3 to 5 on 3rd set, When you hit 3 full sets of 6 add 5 lbs next week and start over....You will get stronger.