225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Argh!

My daughter has taken an interest in Legos (yay me!) and I have in a box that measures 24" x 30" x 30" of my lego's from the 80s that I used to build as a kid. Last night, we dragged the box out and I got to work building Lego Main Street, (I found the old plans of that set online.) sitting bent over on the floor constructing the two buildings within the set.

6390-2.jpg

For 4 hours straight.

Ugh. My back kills me. I hope I can get my back ready for tomorrow's test.

Days like those I really appreciate my inversion table.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I should be able to hit 20+ but have never managed it, I always burn out.

My best bench is 170kg/374lb at my heaviest.

I recently got 17 reps with 100kg/220lb x17

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FyUkwQJxmLs
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    and he calls himself little.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    and he calls himself little.

heh

if only this were my struggle.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Nice!

I did get distracted at the end though.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ok..so this thread got me inspired to try. Since it is what the do at the combine figured it would be fun. I got 16, no spotter or I think the brain woulda gave me another 2. Still finished off my working sets of 5x5x285 but was not fun at all. I really think lifting for endurance vs lifting for power is two different msucle types. I got burned after about 12..I never feel burned when doing my sets.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    I have no "scientific" proof backed up by papers and such,(some may get this lol) but One way to increase your bench is to do 3 sets of 6 with enough weight to get the first 2 sets of 6 then only 3 to 5 on 3rd set, When you hit 3 full sets of 6 add 5 lbs next week and start over....You will get stronger.

This. Just do 3x6 and as soon as you can do all 3x6 it is time to increase the weight. You basically never want to be able to easily finish the last set.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    Ok..so this thread got me inspired to try. Since it is what the do at the combine figured it would be fun. I got 16, no spotter or I think the brain woulda gave me another 2. Still finished off my working sets of 5x5x285 but was not fun at all. I really think lifting for endurance vs lifting for power is two different msucle types. I got burned after about 12..I never feel burned when doing my sets.

Congratulations Clowney. Your reward is a million dollar contract and the ability to watch NFL games from the sidelines.

I jest. BP must be crazy difficult for freak anatomies like his... long arms.
  • redfisher1974
    Options

Beast!
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    PeteSede wrote: »
    I have no "scientific" proof backed up by papers and such,(some may get this lol) but One way to increase your bench is to do 3 sets of 6 with enough weight to get the first 2 sets of 6 then only 3 to 5 on 3rd set, When you hit 3 full sets of 6 add 5 lbs next week and start over....You will get stronger.

This. Just do 3x6 and as soon as you can do all 3x6 it is time to increase the weight. You basically never want to be able to easily finish the last set.

Simple and it works!
  • redfisher1974
    Options

16 is awesome!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    PeteSede wrote: »

Simple and it works!
    I did a variant of this when I was just a wee gym-neophyte back in the early 90's. At first it was only two or three sets at twelve reps, but not very heavy. Later, I lifted heavier at 4x8 after some advice I got in the gym because there was no internet in those days. It was your standard linear progression program and I found that the volume (32 total reps in my worksets) did wonders for muscle development and strength. I got both gains that way. The only wrinkle I added was being able two complete all sets in strict form (regardless of exercise) for two weeks before I could increase the weight - usually ten pounds. I wanted to assure myself that I had the load down and mastered.

Later on in my training, I added two or three sets more with ranges of 6-8, followed by 4-6, followed by 2-4 increasing the load by 10 pounds for the last two or three sets.

Then if I was feeling that I needed extra every-so-often, I drop set down to 135 again, before moving onto dumbbell, cable or some other kind of assistance work.
  • redfisher1974
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sounds good ^ I remember training at the gym in the early 90's... Lots of chrome plated universal equipment! Still remember doing seated rows one day and the stack was only 250Lbs so I took a dip belt with another 50lbs and attached it to the stack and did like 5 reps and the cable broke when I was pulling and I did 3 reverse somersaults!!! Good times!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds good ^ I remember training at the gym in the early 90's... Lots of chrome plated universal equipment! Still remember doing seated rows one day and the stack was only 250Lbs so I took a dip belt with another 50lbs and attached it to the stack and did like 5 reps and the cable broke when I was pulling and I did 3 reverse somersaults!!! Good times!

It was always fun to watch the cable snap when it wasn't you! ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I wish there was video.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Weeks worth of BBQ smoked chicken...MMMMM
    brwtu27tbwvn.jpg
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    Hilarious. almost exactly what I do, but way less and more sauce. I´m lucky in that I live in a hot place, so don´t have to worry about salt as much as when I was in the USA.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Weeks worth of BBQ smoked chicken...MMMMM
    brwtu27tbwvn.jpg

Cheater! Everyone knows it's supposed to be ruberized, boiled chicken that makes you hate life! :stuck_out_tongue:
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Love my BBQ, I don't add the sauce to the last 10 minutes..im4b5u48h6o7.jpg
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ this -