Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    So, someone should have told me that bench pressing after two nights in a row of deadlifts would have been tough.

In fact, if I ever do that again, tell me to knock it off. ugh.

In other news, any good suggestions for handling blisters that explode while lifting? Staples? Duct tape? Epoxy? Digital removal?

Rub dirt on it and man up.

One day, when I have a 3 plate bench and 5 plate DL, my nuts will finally drop, and I'll be a man.

Until then, liquid skin. ;)
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This thread made me feel so weak lol, I just maxed at 235 1rm. Three weeks ago I was stuck on 220 1rm (wasn't resting enough). Everyone talking about 225 like it's toy weight, major props to yall!
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    This thread made me feel so weak lol, I just maxed at 235 1rm. Three weeks ago I was stuck on 220 1rm (wasn't resting enough). Everyone talking about 225 like it's toy weight, major props to yall!
    Ah Josh, 225 is a good benchmark, because it's hard. Your 235 is awesome.

Some of these dudes are massive. I feel bad at my 245. lol.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    Ah Josh, 225 is a good benchmark, because it's hard. Your 235 is awesome.

Some of these dudes are massive. I feel bad at my 245. lol.

Lol the struggles of gainz. My lifting buddy has been at it for 3 years and just now reached 205 (dudes 150lbs though, so very Impressive) I'm just glad to finally bench body weight.
  • dbmata
    Options
    205 at 150? That's pretty impressive. 1.37x BW. Your bench is excellent, be proud of it.

Oh interesting, 1.37x bw for me is 315. 3 plates.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    Mine would be 322, so a goal of 325lbs... challenge accepted!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Rock it like a horse.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Interesting. Get a spotter, once you have to worry less about death, you might be able to rep more.

All in all, 9. Quit whining, that's bad *kitten*.

It is the other way around. With Death as your spotter you'll get that adrenaline boost to rep your max at least 5-6 more times.

• dbmata
    Options
    LOL. Maybe. Maybe.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Get a spotter, once you have to worry less about death, you might be able to rep more.

All in all, 9. Quit whining, that's bad *kitten*.

It is the other way around. With Death as your spotter you'll get that adrenaline boost to rep your max at least 5-6 more times.

I once had 225 come down on my throat and with out a spotter (note I could normally do 245 at the time so not sure what happened there). Fortunately, I never use collars when benching without a spotter so I was able to get out and had a nasty scratch from the centre knurling but otherwise ok and went back to benching with a little more respect for the weight. I don't lift without a spotter on anything I can't do 5 with one in the tank for anymore.

Oh and that thing about your life flashing before your eyes is a total lie, either that or my life was so boring I missed it... :\
  • dbmata
    Options
    open grip?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    open grip?

No, normal grip I was racking and something happened on the way to the rack and the bar came down. I was able to slow the decent so it wasn't hard but it did cut off my air for a second or two. I think my shoulder was weak and gave out.
  • dbmata
    Options
    open grip?

No, normal grip I was racking and something happened on the way to the rack and the bar came down. I was able to slow the decent so it wasn't hard but it did cut off my air for a second or two. I think my shoulder was weak and gave out.

Well that's a cautionary whale.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    I was gonna say, anyone who uses a suicide grip deserves it. I always suggest people who bench alone to never use clips on the bar so if anything happens the weights can be tilted off.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I use an open grip because it works better with my shoulders. So I deserve it? Hm.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use an open grip because it works better with my shoulders. So I deserve it? Hm.

It is one of the most dangerous things you can do while weight training. There must be other adjustments you can make for your shoulders other than to risk some sweaty hands ending your life.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I heard of a power lifter that died here in Canada several years ago from using a suicide grip and 450 rolled off and crushed his skull. I guess the grip deserves the name but a I've seen more than a few people use it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That sounds like a freak accident. Still noted.

I've been giving it a few weeks to see how it does, and in that time, PR'ed twice. I do also use chalk because I hate sweaty hands when lifting. Hm.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options

Absolutely ****ing horrifying.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Just be very careful, I'm not convinced it's a horrible grip but I believe in safety first.