Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Half your age +7
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with how people evolve and mature over the years. I'm 45 and I believe it would be a mistake for me to date someone in their 20s. They are at a very different life-stage than me and as we both continue to age, our relationship will probably suffer. (i.e I'll continue to get better and better looking and she will become jealous).
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    jayche wrote: »
    Half your age +7

This generally pretty good IMO.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    stuart160 wrote: »
    God it's making me laugh to see 30's and 40's described as old. I think when I was younger I may would have agreed with age ranges but then I was a lot stupider then. Now I tend to agree that age is just a number. I date people, not ages..

yea them evil stupid young people having preferences ...being older means you are much much smarter eh?

No it might be that you said older people are boring. But I'll say one thing ... being older usually means you're less prone to histrionics. :wink:

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    The bottom limit of creepy is age/2+7. A 36 year old can date, at the youngest, a 25 year old. Any younger is creepy. A 37 year old can date down to 25.5 years old.
    Says who?

It's a commonly known "rule."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#The_.22half-your-age-plus-seven.22_rule
    http://xkcd.com/314/
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=half-your-age-plus-seven

It's a helpful guideline. Most people date withing the half-your-age-plus-seven rule.
    One of the dumbest things I have ever heard. And anyone who would choose who to date based on something like that isn't someone I even want to know, much less date myself.
  • MCarbary31
    MCarbary31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My gf and I have a 7 year age difference and both of our parents have a 10 year difference. We're happy as can be but she is very mature and responsible for her age.
  • ArleneMobley
    ArleneMobley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was a widow at age 43. So when I was dating again, I decided my range should be 7 either way. My husband is 4 yrs older. (My first husband was 5 yrs older). I think it works out well in means of our children, grandchildren, retirement ages, etc.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Reading back on this, I had to chuckle. If the biggest age differences I've been with were in the same room together, there ages would have the same #s but reversed (27 and 72).

Here's the question asked a different way, and see who thinks I am dirty old man after this...... What do you think about someone who is dating someone younger than their oldest child?

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Females date upward in age, males date downward. It is the way of things.

tumblr_inline_mfb7y99zUH1rc8j39.jpg
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    mjtunney wrote: »
    Reading back on this, I had to chuckle. If the biggest age differences I've been with were in the same room together, there ages would have the same #s but reversed (27 and 72).

Here's the question asked a different way, and see who thinks I am dirty old man after this...... What do you think about someone who is dating someone younger than their oldest child?

I wonder about this too! My dad is 66 but my oldest brother is 44... it's feasible that he could date a woman who was younger than that... that might weird me out. If one of my parents was dating someone MY age, I think I'd die. lol
  • southernbuttercup
    southernbuttercup Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My husband is 12 years younger, but we suprisingly have a lot in common and most importantly the same sense of humor. Helps you get through life's challenges. I'm 46 and he's 34. When I was dating I also had dated older. I probably wouldn't date too much further than 12 years either way. If I'm talking about something I wouldn't want to be with a man who, for example, who never heard of eight track tapes, someone who I'd have to explain things to like I'm ancient history. On the other end of the spectrum, I wouldn't want someone so much older I felt like their daughter. Just my preferences.
  • meeyuh
    meeyuh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Boyfriend is 11 years older. Age doesn't generally come up unless we're watching a movie, and one of us points out I wasn't born yet. :p I've dated older and younger. No matter to me as long as we get along and stay happy with each other!
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number....as long as it's a LEGAL number! lol...It's definitely all about the connection! Maturity level and how the person you are with treats you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    mjtunney wrote: »

I wonder about this too! My dad is 66 but my oldest brother is 44... it's feasible that he could date a woman who was younger than that... that might weird me out. If one of my parents was dating someone MY age, I think I'd die. lol
    It might feel weird at first, but if it's a good match I think people would get used to it.

My friend's husband is married to a man 30 years older. She's younger than I am and he's five months older than my mother. He has two adult children from his first marriage. They're younger than his wife, but not by much, and they all get along really well.

My friends just had a baby of their own, too. She's just over a year. They're a great couple and very much in love.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    There's a disconnect between chronological age and maturity levels... ALSO... I think using years as a metric is overlooking the pertinent math... a 30 year old dating a 20 year old is dating someone 33% younger... a 40 year old dating a 30 year old is dating someone 25% younger... and a 50 year old dating a 40 year old is dating someone 20% younger... there is ONLY a 10 year difference in all cases.. and yet... within that a 13 % gap between the oldest group and the youngest... SO.. this discussion would be more relevant if you were discussing the percentage gap in any given age range...

and at 50.. I would date up to 7 years older... and maybe 15 years younger... but that "young lady" would need to be very intelligent and have her *kitten* together.. JUST to date me...
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    and that older lady... well sh'ed need to deal with a lot of my cr*p ... and at some stage .. literally :#
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies but Charles Manson (80) is marrying a 26 years old........no daddy issues there.

Back on topic, I'm 11 years older than my wife.........
  • seththealmighty
    seththealmighty Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No age limits here. While you could reply with "so you would date a 12 yr old?"; I would just say that there is no way I would ever attain feelings for a 12 yr old, so that doesn't come into play.

I went from dating girls 5 years younger to me, to dating a women 7 years older. I guess you could say I cheated though, because they looked 18 even though they were almost 30. lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Females date upward in age, males date downward. It is the way of things.

That seems to be tradition, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it is because women often mature earlier than men (in my experience)? Regardless, I often prefer older women, but if a younger woman is mature enough, then that is alright.
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Suz_8589 wrote: »
    I've always dated older, Way older in my opinion. I was 16 he was 26? And another relationship when I was 18 and he was 32. And my last one I was 24 and he was 37. Lol age is just a number but also none of these relationships worked out so maybe I need to date my own age again lol

I would say it's not the age difference, you just have not found "the one" yet. Since my divorce, I have dated younger, older and same age range. I have just not found that certain woman that is my perfect match. I would also say that I was not a perfect match for them as well, or maybe it would have worked out.

Just remain open minded like you are and you will find him :)