Dating age difference

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    For me at a 25 yr old female, I looked for 2 years younger/5 years older. My boyfriend is 1 year younger than me. Which oddly seems to be the trend in my friends.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    It's Manson.... I don't think her issues are just Daddy issues
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    mjtunney wrote: »
    It's Manson.... I don't think her issues are just Daddy issues
    True.....

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Since I've been an adult I have always preferred men in their 30s. When I'm 50 I still might prefer men in their 30s ;)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and married -- if I were single right now I'd probably be seeking men in the 28-44 range, but wouldn't rule out someone a bit outside of that range. I just have always tended to date/marry younger men and have more in common with men who are my age or close to it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Reading back on this, I had to chuckle. If the biggest age differences I've been with were in the same room together, there ages would have the same #s but reversed (27 and 72).

Here's the question asked a different way, and see who thinks I am dirty old man after this...... What do you think about someone who is dating someone younger than their oldest child?

my parents are in their late 40s and if either one of them dated someone my age or younger I would be very repulsed
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    Reading back on this, I had to chuckle. If the biggest age differences I've been with were in the same room together, there ages would have the same #s but reversed (27 and 72).

Here's the question asked a different way, and see who thinks I am dirty old man after this...... What do you think about someone who is dating someone younger than their oldest child?

my parents are in their late 40s and if either one of them dated someone my age or younger I would be very repulsed

You may be repulsed. I try to think of Auntie Mame saying "Live! Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It's hard enough to find interested people, so I'm not going to add an age limit as well. Why would I deny anyone based on age, attractiveness, etc?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I like someone of a similar age - like at least within the same generation. It's nice to share the same pop culture references and inside jokes, to have a shared experience of being in a similar stage of development at the same point in time - it's a shared context/frame of reference kind of thing. But that's just me...
  • gwb77
    gwb77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    I'm married but if I were dating, He would have to be late 20's+
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    gwb77 wrote: »
    Age is just a number.

True, but at some point there are legal ramifications. Just sayin' :)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    For me, personally, I like someone of a similar age - like at least within the same generation. It's nice to share the same pop culture references and inside jokes, to have a shared experience of being in a similar stage of development at the same point in time - it's a shared context/frame of reference kind of thing. But that's just me...

I understand that... I also enjoy many friends of different ages that offer different perspectives. Some I adore in a more romantically inclined way because they share the same intense passion about something that is important to me, it could be something like music, reading - even though it might be a different genre.
    If we both share the same idea on how to live life, well... I'm quite happy. :)

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I get the impression you'd be repulsed by birds singing and babies laughing. :wink: Seriously, at some point you need to grow up and hope your parents are happy. If dating someone much younger makes them smile, maybe you could just be happy for someone you love.
  • danibrosseau
    Options
    I'm 19. It's a tricky age to date! I never go older than 23-24, just because guys 25 and older are typically looking for something more serious than I am. I also don't date more than one year younger than myself. (I'm a sophomore in college.. two years younger than me is high school! Yikes!)

Once I'm 24-25, guys up to about 32 will be fair game, I think. Still no one more than a couple years younger, though.

These rules have never applied to one-night things, though. If they're attractive (and over 18), who cares?
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I met my husband, 21 when we married. He is 22 years older than I am. I have found, however, that the ages of people I am attracted to has expanded downward a bit, but not too much (30s at the youngest now) although I've grown older. Guess this means that once husband kicks it, I'll become a cougar, because I'll be 50 or 60 and the guys I'm attracted to will still be close to 40. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

I get the impression you'd be repulsed by birds singing and babies laughing. :wink: Seriously, at some point you need to grow up and hope your parents are happy. If dating someone much younger makes them smile, maybe you could just be happy for someone you love.

the thought of my parents dating someone my own age is very triggering to me

for reasons that are none of your business

do not assume to know me or my life experiences.I said what I said and have the reaction I do to that for a very very valid reason

Btw my parents are currently happy dating people their own ages
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    So long as everyone is a consenting adult, I'm happy.

There's 9 years between my SO and I, and we've been going strong for around 2.5 years, living together for 2 of that.

I've found many of my friends were more judgmental than his over the age gap, which I've always found somewhat surprising.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Dating? I say just keep it legal. I personally have not been attracted to younger men, but up to 20 years older is good. However, if you are wanting to start a family, there are more things to consider regarding age.
  • 13shark77
    13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right if you want to consider starting a family.