Dating age difference

Options

Replies

• fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it depends a lot on your age. When you're younger, a five year age difference can be rather substantial. When you're older, not so much.

Think this is it but a large gap as you get older can mean becoming a carer to your partner.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a little less than a year younger than I am and he's the youngest I'm willing to date. As far as older, well, I went through a phase where I dated men who were ten, twenty and even thirty years my senior, but none of those relationships were serious (I was 21 at the time).

I'm 24 now and I think ten years older would be the cut off for a long term relationship, but I'm open to older than that if it's nothing too serious. I am attracted to older men. But honestly, I don't think someone my age can have a serious relationship with someone that much older 9/10 times. Very obvious discrepancy in maturity, life experience, etc.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    When I was 27, I dated a man who was 43 (and, I later discovered, married...but that's another story). That would be the largest age gap. I only ever dated one man younger than me...by just over a year.

My husband is three years, three months older than I am. Which seems about right (my dad is three years, three months older than my mom).
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    Friend and I were having this debate and I was surprised at how much our opinions differed...

How much older or younger than you would someone have to be for you to consider them un-dateable?

I'm female, 25 and I wouldn't really have much interest in dating anyone younger than me but as far as older...I think 36-37 would be the limit that way.

If I were single I would not date anyone under 25 and would probably not date anyone older than 34.

• beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am 20 (not far off 21) and if i was single i don't think id date anyone younger than me just cause i prefer older men. With older males my cut offline would be 30 just cause of the different points in our lives, in next couple of years I will have finished uni and be starting my career and a 30 year old maybe considering marriage and having children within the next couple of years. Don't get me wrong i want marriage and children there's just things i want to do before that stage in my life
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »
    I never saw much issue with someone older...my mom and dad are 11 years apart and started dating when she was 17 and he was 28. It sounds a LITTLE weird to me but now at 55 and 66, (and 27 years of marriage) it doesn't even make a difference.

Why does 19 and 30 sound more acceptable...or 21 and 32, but not 17 and 28? It's still the same age difference.

Because a 17 and 28 year old are experiencing different worlds. And the 17 year old can't get into a bar.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I never saw much issue with someone older...my mom and dad are 11 years apart and started dating when she was 17 and he was 28. It sounds a LITTLE weird to me but now at 55 and 66, (and 27 years of marriage) it doesn't even make a difference.

Why does 19 and 30 sound more acceptable...or 21 and 32, but not 17 and 28? It's still the same age difference.

Because a 17 and 28 year old are experiencing different worlds. And the 17 year old can't get into a bar.

17 will get you 15 around here.
  • arditarose
    Options
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

17 will get you 15 around here.

And that
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    hubby is 4 years older than me. I like it that way but have been out with/attracted older guys before, I found them much more attractive when I was dating, something to do with being big and strong and mature lol any way I wouldn't go younger as I'm only 22 now :-o and have been with hubby since I was 19. If I went too much younger I'd be a cradle snatcher haha
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm six years older than my husband He's 36 and I'm 42 and we don't really consider it an age difference. I've gone 15 years younger and got along great with him but difference in life stages prevented it from going anywhere. I've also gone 19 years older no big deal. The older you are the larger age range of "dateables" What matters most is that you both have the same relationship goals. IF you both are ready to settle down and start a family or if you both are looking to keep it casual then great, you're on the same page and age should not be an obstacle.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    I'm six years older than my husband He's 36 and I'm 42 and we don't really consider it an age difference. I've gone 15 years younger and got along great with him but difference in life stages prevented it from going anywhere. I've also gone 19 years older no big deal. The older you are the larger age range of "dateables" What matters most is that you both have the same relationship goals. IF you both are ready to settle down and start a family or if you both are looking to keep it casual then great, you're on the same page and age should not be an obstacle.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Because the govt. (in USA) is trying to get people under 18 to not have the hokey pokey, and if they do (even if same age), they're trying to make it a federal crime.

Other than that, no reason why it should.

Edit.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am 20 (not far off 21) and if i was single i don't think id date anyone younger than me just cause i prefer older men. With older males my cut offline would be 30 just cause of the different points in our lives, in next couple of years I will have finished uni and be starting my career and a 30 year old maybe considering marriage and having children within the next couple of years. Don't get me wrong i want marriage and children there's just things i want to do before that stage in my life

I thought this too and then I met 'the one' got married and had a child :open_mouth: but I'm still finishing my degree and we're planning to travel. You can have it all ;)
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    lunalee84 wrote: »
    I think that if there is mutual attraction and common interests between two adults there should be no age requirement and it is nobody else's business as long as no one is being used or taken advantage of!

I agree 100%

yes!

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i've never really had an absolute as far as age of my partner goes. I always knew I wasn't too into younger guys though. And as it turns out, I'm now with a man 20 years older than me and it is the best relationship I've ever been in. I think it's unfortunate when people limit themselves with absolutes. They could be missing out on something really incredible.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »

Because the govt. (in USA) is trying to get people under 18 to not have the hokey pokey, and if they do (even if same age), they're trying to make it a federal crime.

Other than that, no reason why it should.

Edit.

The hokey pokey haha. If that's the hokey pokey, maybe it really IS what it's all about.
  • moogplayer
    moogplayer Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Us guys have a rule: she must be at least half your age + 7 years
  • emilyasdf
    emilyasdf Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I think the cut off for me would be about 34… That's 11 years difference.
  • DreamBigEatLarge
    DreamBigEatLarge Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    no more than 15 years older I think....as for younger...hmmmm..not sure, maybe 5-8 years??