Us guys have a rule: she must be at least half your age + 7 years

haha I like this!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »
    kshadows wrote: »
    I never saw much issue with someone older...my mom and dad are 11 years apart and started dating when she was 17 and he was 28. It sounds a LITTLE weird to me but now at 55 and 66, (and 27 years of marriage) it doesn't even make a difference.

Why does 19 and 30 sound more acceptable...or 21 and 32, but not 17 and 28? It's still the same age difference.

Because a 17 and 28 year old are experiencing different worlds. And the 17 year old can't get into a bar.

Well, we're talking almost 40 years ago too though, so it wasn't far off the drinking age (because it was 18 at that time). I think society has had a lot to do with people's decisions too.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The older you get, the less it matters. I've dated as far as 13 years younger than me and 15-20 years older than me and had fabulous times with most of them.

Edited to add: When I was 30-ish I went out with a 20 year old guy. HE could get into bars, but couldn't drink. That was wonderful for me because he could keep track of all my stuff!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Friend and I were having this debate and I was surprised at how much our opinions differed...

How much older or younger than you would someone have to be for you to consider them un-dateable?

I'm female, 25 and I wouldn't really have much interest in dating anyone younger than me but as far as older...I think 36-37 would be the limit that way.
    Every time I have tried to say, "I won't date more than X years older," I have met a man who exceeded that. So I stopped setting a limit. The oldest I have dated was 15 years older. I was 19 when I met him and when it was all said and done as far as a romantic relationship, I was 28. (The reasons it didn't work out had nothing to do with age or compatibility. Just bad timing.)

I also used to say I'd never date younger, but the older I get the less younger seems to be an issue in my head. I don't think I'd date a man younger than 35, though. Of course, I've been in a serious, committed relationship for the last 9 1/2 years so this is all speculation at this point. lol
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and my boyfriend is 35. I've always dated older because of maturity levels. Age itself is not an issue for me, it's compatibility and the likes. For me and my boyfriend, age was more of an issue for our friends than anyone else - even my parents were always okay with it. The only problem I ever really had was an insecurity in the fact that his career is pretty well established and I am only about to start mine, but that passed because he is very supportive of me.

But it's all personal preference, I don't think there's anything wrong with setting limits, you have to do what is going to make you happy. My happy just happens to be 13 years older than me.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've always dated younger women, it just depends on how mature the person is and of course common interest is important.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    The bottom limit of creepy is age/2+7. A 36 year old can date, at the youngest, a 25 year old. Any younger is creepy. A 37 year old can date down to 25.5 years old, so yeah, you pretty much hit the exact limit when you were discussing this with your friend. As you get older, the range widens.
  • mystiquecal
    mystiquecal Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Dated younger guys in the past - didn't work out. I never really liked older men.. until I dated one. It was awesome! I'd go as far as 10 years older than me.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I'll be 42 in January and I once considered the ages 36 - 48 pretty acceptable for dating. Then I dated several 36 year olds and they were way too immature for me. It depends on the people involved. I'm trying to not go below 38 these days.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year limit . My guy barely made that limit . I joke with him that he was 4 months from being too old for me .
    True that complete opposites attract, but you need to have some common goals and interests .
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I have no desire to date men my own age
  • _Southern_Comfort_
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »
    I never saw much issue with someone older...my mom and dad are 11 years apart and started dating when she was 17 and he was 28. It sounds a LITTLE weird to me but now at 55 and 66, (and 27 years of marriage) it doesn't even make a difference.

Why does 19 and 30 sound more acceptable...or 21 and 32, but not 17 and 28? It's still the same age difference.
    Because the govt. (in USA) is trying to get people under 18 to not have the hokey pokey, and if they do (even if same age), they're trying to make it a federal crime.

Other than that, no reason why it should.

Edit.

I don't do the hokey pokey. I get all turned around. The chicken dance and the boot scoot boogie, on the other hand, are both winners.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care... there are other factors that are more important to me than age. I'm 29, so I would not date below 21 (because we would not be able to go out for drinks) and not older than 50 (because I tried that once and she was just too old (we had too little in common anyway).

I have noticed that a lot of women will only date men who are older. Unfortunately, that leaves me having difficulty finding someone who is willing to date me (i.e. she is younger than me) and who fits other qualifications (there are way too many 24-year-old immature girls and not enough 24-year-old mature women).
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I'll be 42 in January and I once considered the ages 36 - 48 pretty acceptable for dating. Then I dated several 36 year olds and they were way too immature for me. It depends on the people involved. I'm trying to not go below 38 these days.
    Damn lady you look great for your age. Every time I see your profile pic I think you're like late 20's to mid 30's! I had to just stalk your pics lol
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5 years older than me and I think it's perfect but I've dated a guy that was 11 years older than me who acted like a teenager so I guess it all depends but from my experience a good 3-5 year gap is healthy, you can reminisce on roughly the same things in your childhood, there is for the most part a similar maturity level, you typically want kids around the same time. Every relationship is different, this is just my experience.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The bottom limit of creepy is age/2+7. A 36 year old can date, at the youngest, a 25 year old. Any younger is creepy. A 37 year old can date down to 25.5 years old.
    Says who?

• johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I am married. I really think it all has to do with the persons. My wife is 6 years older than I am. When we were first married it wasn't a big issue. But now 30 years later.... it seems to be more of an issue. She says I act to young. Well, let's look.... I run, work out and laugh. When I work at the ER my co-workers can't believe that I'm as old as I am, that I don't act it. It's not that I'm immature, I just love to have fun. I have one kid (hes 24) and he says I'm more of a father then his father his. He seeks my advice. Anyway.... I think age is just a number... people and people. I think (if I were single) IF I had to put an age limit... I could date someone as old as 55 (again depending on how active, and much fun they are) or as young as probably 35... depending on our mature they are. Anyway.. my two cents worth.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    For me it's 10 years either way. 25-45.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I like older men, however if I hit it off with a younger guy then I wouldn't have a problem. I mean, I don't have an absolute age in mind. In general though, I prefer older men as in 35-50 ish I guess.