Squat Pains a Plenty - Low Bar

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    second video, 0:17 your knees squeezing inward?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Now that's a quick response. I didn't feel it during the lift but when watching it does appear that way. I was focused on several things today: fewer steps out of the rack, chest up, elbows under, stay rigid. I may have not even been thinking about pushing knees out.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Looked pretty good, other than the knee comment. It's hard to tell from the angle though....

Depth was there, better with the chest position and driving elbows under.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    The more I review it the more I see my butt rising and elbows going back. I've started 5/3/1 and light on purpose, so I should have a few training cycles to work out these issues before it gets heavy again.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you're low bar working it, I think you'll have a more vertical torso, but get those elbows pointed a little more towards the ground, bubba. Maintain the neutral head, and it should get you a little more solid on the torso.

How is your bracing? Also, these look a lot better, you're working hard.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Bracing has always been an issue. I feel like I take a deep breath into my belly but sometimes I think I subconsciously let it go during the descent. It seems that when I focus on keeping a tight back and full belly one or the other always disappears throughout the movement.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Now that's a quick response. I didn't feel it during the lift but when watching it does appear that way. I was focused on several things today: fewer steps out of the rack, chest up, elbows under, stay rigid. I may have not even been thinking about pushing knees out.
    Form looks good. Great depth. The only thing I would watch is your hip/chest syncing. Your hips rise before your chest during the last few reps, which makes you lean/tip forward and makes it look like you're doing a mini good morning.

As I was reading through the thread, I made a few notes :

- Squat as wide/narrow as your body likes. I would prefer to squat wider (less distance to travel to proper depth), but I have a muscle imbalance as well as hip dysplasia, so I instead squat with a very narrow stance (closer than hip width). The cue that helps me is 'leg pressing' the floor.

- If you've got some knee pain, invest in a pair of knee sleeves. They'll keep your knees warm and your knees will track better

- If you've got hip pain like I do, always warm up your hips with hip opening dynamic stretches before squatting/deadlifting. My favorites are : Standing hip circles, fire hydrant kicks, side kicks, and high front kicks. What also helped me is doing a few light sets of hip thrusts on the side that has the pain. Hip pain can also be due to inactive glutes/hams, so hip thrusts will help strengthen your hips as well as your glute activation.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Pause squats have helped me with bracing issues in the past. Perhaps consider a few lighter weight back off sets after the main sets as paused work.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Can't let go during the descent. If you lose your core there you are in big trouble. Once I get back up through about a 3/4 squat I will start to release my breath. Pretty much at the point where I know I'll complete the rep.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Bracing has always been an issue. I feel like I take a deep breath into my belly but sometimes I think I subconsciously let it go during the descent. It seems that when I focus on keeping a tight back and full belly one or the other always disappears throughout the movement.

You're going to murder yourself dude.

You do not lose that tightness. Drop the load until you have that bomber.
  • shimaura
    shimaura Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read that squating below parallel puts undue stress on the knees. Some people, genetically, can overcome this but most may experience knee problems in the future. I noticed that smitty's lower back is rounding a bit at the very bottom of the squat. That may be a reason to not squat so low, at least until you've stretched out enough to squat low without rounding you lower back.

mho
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Eeeek nooo

Breathing properly makes such a difference. If it helps, take a huge gulp of air before a rep, hold it, descend, and keep holding it until you start grinding up, then release.

• dbmata
    Options
    shimaura wrote: »
    I read that squating below parallel puts undue stress on the knees. Some people, genetically, can overcome this but most may experience knee problems in the future.
    It's a good idea to quit reading the weekly world news.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I always squat below parallel. If there is one thing I put zero thought into it's am I going low enough because I know I am. That being said, I do see the lower back rounding (had not noticed it before). Is this something, depth, I should retrain while using lighter weights? Or do I just need to work on hamstring flex?
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    I read that squating below parallel puts undue stress on the knees. Some people, genetically, can overcome this but most may experience knee problems in the future. I noticed that smitty's lower back is rounding a bit at the very bottom of the squat. That may be a reason to not squat so low, at least until you've stretched out enough to squat low without rounding you lower back.

mho
    It actually seems like I put more stress on the knee if I try to control it and go at or above parallel because I'm 'stopping' my decent. Going parallel or below allows me to drive from my heels instead of trying to straighten my knees. ...Not sure if that makes sense. Lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Fujiberry wrote: »

mho
    It actually seems like I put more stress on the knee if I try to control it and go at or above parallel because I'm 'stopping' my decent. Going parallel or below allows me to drive from my heels instead of trying to straighten my knees. ...Not sure if that makes sense. Lol.
    yeah, stopping above parallel puts massive shear force on the knees, basically the opposite of what shimaura suggested.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I'm going to ask this in relation to staying tight in the core and for no other reason. Would there be any upside to me trying a belt, only as something to press my belly against just to get the feeling. I wouldn't use it for long as I don't want to use a belt for work weight (personal preference). I think I've heard this mentioned before, but would like more input on the matter.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm going to ask this in relation to staying tight in the core and for no other reason. Would there be any upside to me trying a belt, only as something to press my belly against just to get the feeling. I wouldn't use it for long as I don't want to use a belt for work weight (personal preference). I think I've heard this mentioned before, but would like more input on the matter.

I actually have seen this recommended. If you buy the belt and use it for a set, focus on bracing your stomach correctly (this came up because a whole bunch of people were being told to brace, and everyone was talking about how they sucked their stomach in). It's easier to focus on when you physically have the belt to push against even though you don't need the belt in the traditional sense.

ETA: And I would definitely not use it all the time, but every now and then when you feel your form slipping and you need to double check.
  • Fujiberry
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I use a belt when my back's not feeling up to the task that day and when I'm trying at 85-90+% of my 1RM. It helps to use it to prevent injury at higher weights, but it shouldn't be used as a crutch during working sets. If you feel like you need it, use it.

I'm not sure if your back is actually rounding, I can't really tell. :/ I do pause squats for core strength though and explosive power. It helps me keep my torso more upright and my back tight, especially when I need it most--in the hole.

• smittybuilt19
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I actually have seen this recommended. If you buy the belt and use it for a set, focus on bracing your stomach correctly (this came up because a whole bunch of people were being told to brace, and everyone was talking about how they sucked their stomach in). It's easier to focus on when you physically have the belt to push against even though you don't need the belt in the traditional sense.

ETA: And I would definitely not use it all the time, but every now and then when you feel your form slipping and you need to double check.

That's what I'm thinking. Simply a training aid.