Squat Pains a Plenty - Low Bar

Options
12346»

Replies

• shimaura
    shimaura Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Squating below parallel is something i used to do years ago. Just thought i'd put that out ... food for thought and if its urban legend i'm open for input.
    not sure what you can do about working on not rounding you back other than not squating so deep. You may be able to squat deeper overtime. I do alot of stretching and not sure if that has helped me. As was mentioned previous, it would be safe to unload some weight to work and perfect form. I was into 20 rep squats and would stop if i felt like i was getting too sloppy in form due to fatigue.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't see any rounding... I see stretch reflex as he reverses out of the bottom.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    shimaura wrote: »
    Squating below parallel is something i used to do years ago. Just thought i'd put that out ... food for thought and if its urban legend i'm open for input.
    not sure what you can do about working on not rounding you back other than not squating so deep. You may be able to squat deeper overtime. I do alot of stretching and not sure if that has helped me. As was mentioned previous, it would be safe to unload some weight to work and perfect form. I was into 20 rep squats and would stop if i felt like i was getting too sloppy in form due to fatigue.
    This is rather tongue in cheek, but a fun read.

http://tonygentilcore.com/2010/12/let-me-know-if-youve-heard-this-one-before-a-personal-trainer-walks-into-a-bar-and-says-squatting-below-parallel-is-bad-for-the-knees/
  • shimaura
    shimaura Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dbmata: Thank you for the link, I enjoyed reading the article and the information provided. i have a adominal hernia of sort now and gave up lifting "heavy". currenly doing low weight high reps until i find a way to go heavier.

OP, hope you can resolve your knee problem.

take care.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I don't see any lower back rounding, there's just some butt wink at the bottom of the movement. This is likely caused by a bit of excess depth. I don't think it's a big deal, personally. Everyone has at least a small amount of butt wink.

Good video:

If it bothers you or causes pain or you want to decrease ROM on squats, then limit depth slightly. I used to squat that low but I gradually limited my depth to keep form better (I commonly would "fall" forward at the bottom of a squat). Plus I can squat more weight without going so deep. Depends on your goals.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I don't squat as wide as possible either. Try shortening your stance and see if the pain goes away.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Dopeitup - Thanks for posting the video, great watch.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Eddie Munster lifts?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I always squat below parallel. If there is one thing I put zero thought into it's am I going low enough because I know I am. That being said, I do see the lower back rounding (had not noticed it before). Is this something, depth, I should retrain while using lighter weights? Or do I just need to work on hamstring flex?

If you find out, let me know pls. I'm the same, in that, I'm always below parallel - I don't even need to think about it. But I've managed to pick up a bit of butt wink since widening my stance (on advice of strength coach - stance was too narrow so not hitting hammies). Seems like when you fix one thing, something else goes :/

I personally, didn't notice any rounding on your video but those wrists didn't look good - that'll be fine just now but not so good when it gets heavier - looks like a lot of weight sitting on your wrists.

And like everyone else says, didn't notice you bracing before the start - you're probably doing it, it just wasn't noticeable.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I don't see any lower back rounding, there's just some butt wink at the bottom of the movement. This is likely caused by a bit of excess depth. I don't think it's a big deal, personally. Everyone has at least a small amount of butt wink.

Good video:

If it bothers you or causes pain or you want to decrease ROM on squats, then limit depth slightly. I used to squat that low but I gradually limited my depth to keep form better (I commonly would "fall" forward at the bottom of a squat). Plus I can squat more weight without going so deep. Depends on your goals.

Good post! All of the "butt-wink police" are friggin' ridiculous already.