People on here need to stick to feedback the user asks for?!?!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    Man, I love these threads. I guess I am getting off on it, but not on "abusing" people. I like the whiners of MFP, really.

Anyone remember Meeratalia? She used to get into it with me ALL THE TIME about how sugar was the devil and she "quit" sugar and compare sugar to nicotine. I would always tell her that a restrictive diet was not sustainable and she would do better if she learned moderation and she and others would tell me I was an abuser who didn't just let people live their life. She hasn't logged in for a month, her last logged day of food was a 5000 calorie binge.

Score one for the meanie, should have taken my advice I guess.

Perhaps, or just perhaps this way of eating works for her. I don't know of whom you speak, but restrictive diets do work for some, even if they do binge. Eating low calories 6 days a week with a 5000 calorie binge day can still average out to a deficit for the week.

There is more than one way to get to goal.

So...you're saying a VLCD with a 5000 calorie binge day is a healthy lifestyle? You're seriously just arguing for the sake of arguing now.
    Told ya'll. but no one listens to ol me.

Gotta learn for yourselves eh? Go on, learn!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This site is full of cry-babies

As I say to my children: toughen up buttercup

The people I see shedding 90% of the tears are the ones engaging in near-constant whining drama about being perceived as "mean". Either be a d-bag and accept that people are gonna think you're a d-bag, or don't be one and then people won't think you're one. Pretty easy, IMO.

The responses on those threads were still taken as being mean even by people genuinely trying to help (I was one on the exercise one).

The fact of the matter is, this OP specifically is opening threads and playing a victim.

Ah, link pls? I'm thinking of the recent 'how not to lose fat' and 'tough love' threads...remind me of the exercise one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=Thcguy123&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&within=1+day&date=

Here are the threads in question.

Also, I don't think those other ones relate to op at all. I mean to be fair, it looks like people were trying to be helpful and many gave helpful responses.

One of the negative ones?

"I know you are looking for a book to tell you what to do... Have you considered doing your own research and making a list of foods and recipes that you like? Also, what about joining a gym and highering a personal trainer? The two of you could then discuss your goals and the trainer can work up a personal plan just for you.

Edit: You could also schedule time with a nutritionist and get food ideas and recipes from them as well."
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

The people I see shedding 90% of the tears are the ones engaging in near-constant whining drama about being perceived as "mean". Either be a d-bag and accept that people are gonna think you're a d-bag, or don't be one and then people won't think you're one. Pretty easy, IMO.

The responses on those threads were still taken as being mean even by people genuinely trying to help (I was one on the exercise one).

The fact of the matter is, this OP specifically is opening threads and playing a victim.

Ah, link pls? I'm thinking of the recent 'how not to lose fat' and 'tough love' threads...remind me of the exercise one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=Thcguy123&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&within=1+day&date=

Also, I don't think those other ones relate to op at all. I mean to be fair, it looks like people were trying to be helpful and many gave helpful responses.

"I know you are looking for a book to tell you what to do... Have you considered doing your own research and making a list of foods and recipes that you like? Also, what about joining a gym and highering a personal trainer? The two of you could then discuss your goals and the trainer can work up a personal plan just for you.

Edit: You could also schedule time with a nutritionist and get food ideas and recipes from them as well."

Right, that's why people like me come into these threads and get called mean. Because no one was even mean to the OP. So I come in, being like "why you frontin'" and then a storm of pants-wetters are like "no, really you are SO mean."

And then I get fired because I haven't done any work for the past 2 hours.

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    quote="rainbowbow;30370942"]

Edit: You could also schedule time with a nutritionist and get food ideas and recipes from them as well."[/quote]

There's nothing "negative" about that response, save for what YOU and others like you project onto it.

You're fighting windmills.

What's "negative" about telling someone to take the bull by the horns and do their own research about how to incorporate THEIR food preferences into a way of eating they can live with, exercise more (join a gym) and seek guidance from a professional?

• rainbowbow
    edited November 2014
    Options
    quote="rainbowbow;30370942"]

There's nothing "negative" about that response, save for what YOU and others like you project onto it.

You're fighting windmills.

What's "negative" about telling someone to take the bull by the horns and do their own research about how to incorporate THEIR food preferences into a way of eating they can live with, exercise more (join a gym) and seek guidance from a professional?

Uh, what.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's not that people are giving bad information -- lots of time, the OP is asking the wrong questions. If I come in here and ask "how do I lose 5 pounds next week?", the following are all correct answers:

You can't
    You cant, but here are a bunch of things you can try to lose some weight next week
    Cut off a limb

I shouldn't get butthurt because people don't give me the answer I wanted, because they're actually giving me accurate information.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

You think that response is negative? I just don't even know what to say at this point.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    Options
    Did you not say that the one response was negative?

If not, I'm wrong and retract my response.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I think you're missing some sarcasm.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    Options
    So it would seem.

Damn lack of a sarcasm font.

::shakes fist::
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Ummm what?? What is negative about that statement? I don't get it. I just don't get it.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Yeah... OP was claiming these people are negative for responses of this fashion.

I said "OP specifically is opening threads in this fashion and playing a victim" because the responses received were in no way rude or negative as they claim.

Someone asked for the threads in question and I provided it along with one of the "negative responses".
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yeah... OP was claiming these people are negative for responses of this fashion.

I said "OP specifically is opening threads in this fashion and playing a victim" because the responses received were in no way rude or negative as they claim.

Someone asked for the threads in question and I provided it along with one of the "negative responses".

Ah. I need a sarcasm font.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

I totally missed the sarcasm too...oops!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The forums are just CRAAAAAAAAZY since the new format....

:trollface::trollface::trollface:
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    sigh
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    thcguy123 wrote: »
    LEVITATEME's post above is a good example of what I mean. Not the positive feedback most people need.

It's great it takes you 45 seconds to make a shake - I don't have that time so I am looking for something I can grab from fridge and walk out door. But I didn't ask that anyway so don't comment unless you know of a good pre-made shake suggestion.

Eat less - move more - really?!?! Yes it's true but it's about the least helpful thing I have ever heard. What people on here need is something in depth - links to a website you use, a book that really turned things around, some tales from your journey that might inspire them. Eat less and move more doesn't help lay out any specific plans which is what people here need.

And "you don't need a grocery list". Do you realize people who go the store without a grocery list tend to overeat and buy fattening items they don't need. Your always better shopping with a list. Yes - many of us DO need a grocery list and don't know how to make a healthy one ourselves.

POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS WHAT WE NEED! Not just you telling us it's all so simple and acting like why can't we all just figure this out.

Why is it my job to tell you how to make a grocery list? and why is it rude of me to say you should be able to figure that out yourself? This is a website that tells you the calorie content of every single food on earth. Pick out foods you like that fit the calories provided to you and go to the store and buy them.

From now on, my canned answer to every thread will be "you are doing everything exactly right. Good job."

And then people will be like "but wait you didn't answer any of my questions" and I will be like "You're so smart and strong."

I just wonder, why do you get off so much on making people feel like crap? If we can stop all of the weak pretending for a moment - you're not trying to help, you're not trying to offer advice or wisdom or share any of your own experiences for the betterment of mankind. You're just deliberately and constantly taking craps on people who are asking for help. Whether or not they come across as annoying, lazy or stupid, I really want to know why is it so very very very important to you to let them know that you find them annoying, lazy and stupid?

I guess this is probably the Question at the Heart of the Internet: Why can't anyone just STFU if they don't have anything to add to a thread?

I understand that - its not "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" it should be "If you don't have anything useful and detailed to say, don't say anything at all". I see no point in replying with lines like "you are doing everything exactly right. Good job." unless you mean it. If you don't think anyone is going to listen to you... just don't post. It's not like it's a one on one conversation where someone is expecting an answer specifically from you. If you don't comment, someone else will. And the someone will have thoughtful advice.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    LEVITATEME's post above is a good example of what I mean. Not the positive feedback most people need.

It's great it takes you 45 seconds to make a shake - I don't have that time so I am looking for something I can grab from fridge and walk out door. But I didn't ask that anyway so don't comment unless you know of a good pre-made shake suggestion.

Eat less - move more - really?!?! Yes it's true but it's about the least helpful thing I have ever heard. What people on here need is something in depth - links to a website you use, a book that really turned things around, some tales from your journey that might inspire them. Eat less and move more doesn't help lay out any specific plans which is what people here need.

And "you don't need a grocery list". Do you realize people who go the store without a grocery list tend to overeat and buy fattening items they don't need. Your always better shopping with a list. Yes - many of us DO need a grocery list and don't know how to make a healthy one ourselves.

POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS WHAT WE NEED! Not just you telling us it's all so simple and acting like why can't we all just figure this out.

I haven't made it through all the pages yet (trust me, I will when I have the time) but I think the answers you got were actually very helpful. Maybe if they elaborated more you wouldn't have thought they were so mean?

Like your questions about shakes, premade shakes are very costly compared to powders and few and far between. It doesn't take long to make your own and you have a lot more variety available if you do.

Eat less and move more is extremely helpful in my opinion. When I first came on here if someone had told me "you need a structured plan. Learn to love grilled chicken and veggies for lunch and dinner everyday. You'll never be able to eat Taco Bell again." I would have kindly told them to stick it where the sun don't shine and continued my life being fat.

I think people continue to try to give the types of responses you call mean because the people who ask the questions think this has to be a miserable experience and they can't enjoy food. I know I for one am pissed off at how easy it actually was for me to lose weight. I'm pissed off that for 20+ years of my life I was overweight and tortured myself every time I tried to lose weight only to give up because I made it so difficult. The answers you're calling mean are mostly people trying to tell you that it doesn't have to be so hard. What could be more supportive than that? I know I wish someone had given me that sexy pants link when I a fat teenager starving myself everyday trying to lose weight only to crash and burn and stuff my face because I couldn't take being hungry anymore.

As far as your grocery list comment, I think they were saying you don't need a specific list. I make a list every time I go to the store but it's based off my dinner schedule that I make every two weeks. Yes, I need a list. No, I don't need someone to make a list for me because I wouldn't know what to do with someone else's grocery list.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Your supposed to act as teachers, peers, coaches, positive influences and yes - maybe even share some knowledge so we don't have to take forever to learn it the hard way.
    Teachers are paid for their work.

We are not a communist or socialist society.

THIS IS NOT CANADA.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I agree with the O.P. in a way. SOME of the people on these boards are angry and egotistical beyond belief. Its their way is the best and they know it all. HOWEVER, I find the majority of the people on this site are sincere and really trying to help their fellow peers on here improve their lives and health. I guess it is a microcosm of our american culture and society today. I have got many many kind responses on this site from a lot of good,caring people,and the sarcastic,non-helpful comments I get I just ignore. About 1 week ago I asked a question about maintenance,(which I just started) and the thread got way off on a tangent to the point that only 1 person really bothered to answer what I had asked. I thanked the person that answered me and ignored the others. Just my 2 cents