People on here need to stick to feedback the user asks for?!?!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• thcguy123
    thcguy123 Posts: 55
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh and as far as grown ups not knowing how to work out.

Well when I walk into a gym I look around and have no idea how to use a single machine, weight, etc for the most part. It normally leads to me walking on treadmill for 10 minutes and going home because I don't have a workout to follow or know to use the items provided. Or I try a random set of machines with instructions on them and then get to hear about how I shouldn't be using those when I get online here.

We are not all gym rats and not all of us have been to a gym before and learned to use it the correct way. I know pushup and sit-ups - unfortunately I can't do either!

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - I am speaking for everyone else who also feels abused and talked down too on this board. Many people chimed in saying they have stopped using the site, stopped using the boards, etc because of it -- too bad cuz it's sad.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hey OP - how'd that crash diet for your honeymoon work out for you? No really, I'd like to know.........
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I went thru all your posts OP... you're crazy!! You want the fast and easy method of losing weight. And when it doesn't happen for you, you assume it's cuz you have a thyroid problem. It's cuz you're not trying. You don't want to cook, you don't want to exercise, you still want to go drinking a lot... you're not losing cuz you're not trying to lose. No matter what you've asked, in the end you always say, "never mind I'm going to do <blah>." So you keep asking for advice and help, yet in the end you don't even care for what people tell you. So of course people are going to be fed up that you keep asking all these questions for fast and easy ways to lose weight, when we all know that's not gonna happen. Because no matter what advice people give you, you end up doing what you want anyways. It's a damn cycle you've been going thru since September. Ugh... never mind... at least I know who you are and I won't feel bad if you think people are bullying you. :noway:
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    thcguy123 wrote: »
    BENNETINFINITY: your completely right in saying "I think people who want specific advice about their personal course of action are better served finding like minded people in the groups".

That is what we are doing when we post here - trying to find like minded people to help us.

mommyrunning - I love your comment. Not everyone here knows how to design meals, cook, work out, etc. They need help from people (supposedly all of you) who have already learned it, gone through it, know more. They can learn though with your help - not sarcastic comments.

Your supposed to act as teachers, peers, coaches, positive influences and yes - maybe even share some knowledge so we don't have to take forever to learn it the hard way.
    That's rich! Dictating MY responsibilities, while taking absolutely none for yourself.

So I have the responsibility to be the teacher, but you have no responsibility to be the student? Being a good student means that you take responsibility for independent research and to exercise independent thought when presented with advise that doesn't match your own preconceived notions.

In a public forum YOU have the responsibility to pick and choose which bits you take and which you leave behind - if you don't like the advice you get, you're free to ignore it, yet you take it as an opportunity to lecture the very people who are trying to help you.

Good luck in meeting your goals - I mean that sincerely.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Did you miss that post from the gentleman who said he asked another man at the gym for advice, OP?

Maybe you should try that instead of flailing on your keyboard about how people on the internet are mean and won't help you.

You say you don't know how to use the machines, yet you're in a gym. With trainers. And other assorted people you could potentially befriend and learn from in REAL LIFE.

Mind boggling. Absolutely mind boggling.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    BENNETINFINITY: your completely right in saying "I think people who want specific advice about their personal course of action are better served finding like minded people in the groups".

That is what we are doing when we post here - trying to find like minded people to help us.

mommyrunning - I love your comment. Not everyone here knows how to design meals, cook, work out, etc. They need help from people (supposedly all of you) who have already learned it, gone through it, know more. They can learn though with your help - not sarcastic comments.

Your supposed to act as teachers, peers, coaches, positive influences and yes - maybe even share some knowledge so we don't have to take forever to learn it the hard way.
    That's rich! Dictating MY responsibilities, while taking absolutely none for yourself.

So I have the responsibility to be the teacher, but you have no responsibility to be the student? Being a good student means that you take responsibility for independent research and to exercise independent thought when presented with advise that doesn't match your own preconceived notions.

In a public forum YOU have the responsibility to pick and choose which bits you take and which you leave behind - if you don't like the advice you get, you're free to ignore it, yet you take it as an opportunity to lecture the very people who are trying to help you.

Good luck in meeting your goals - I mean that sincerely.
    tumblr_myou6xbFhB1t8solfo1_500.gif
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Well when I walk into a gym I look around and have no idea how to use a single machine, weight, etc for the most part. It normally leads to me walking on treadmill for 10 minutes and going home because I don't have a workout to follow or know to use the items provided. Or I try a random set of machines with instructions on them and then get to hear about how I shouldn't be using those when I get online here.

We are not all gym rats and not all of us have been to a gym before and learned to use it the correct way. I know pushup and sit-ups - unfortunately I can't do either!

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - I am speaking for everyone else who also feels abused and talked down too on this board. Many people chimed in saying they have stopped using the site, stopped using the boards, etc because of it -- too bad cuz it's sad.

walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes is a good start.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

OP--I agree with you somewhat about the sarcasm and people not answering your questions,BUT
    When I first walked into a gym,I asked a guy in there the proper form of bench-pressing.That was how do I bench press. That was 33 years ago and I got my bench up to 350lbs. Today I still go to a gym 6 days a week and at 62 years old I can still bench a lot of weight.I never quit the gym BUT my first question was HOW!!!
    This was my response to someone else BEFORE you wrote the above post--You didn;t read my post or you would have seen this---When you go into a gym
    do what I did 33 years ago--IT works--people in a gym setting WILL help when they are done with their own workouts. IF they don't--- hire a trainer

P.S.>Why can't you do a pushup or situp?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I mean... you just... do it. Take a step. The rest follow. I guess it's a matter of, are they self directed individuals or not.

A self directed individual will not say how. They may ask which or why, but not how. A non-self directed individual will ask how, and not stick with it anyway.

When I first walked into a gym,I asked a guy in there the proper form of bench-pressing.That was how do I bench press. That was 33 years ago and I got my bench up to 350lbs. Today I still go to a gym and at 62 years old I can still bench a lot of weight.I never quit the gym BUT my first question was HOW!!!

You mean you asked which way was the right way to benchpress, and not how do you make up a bench pressing program that will have me pressing 300 for reps in 21 days?

correct--I see your point
    That's really what I was getting at.

You also made the first action of getting in and doing it. I'm talking about someone prior to actually put out effort to go to a house of sweat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I posted the ones that had no place on the board and the poster should have just kept their opinions to themselves.
    That's the neat thing. Anyone can post here, and anyone can post what they think is helpful to you.

Just like anyone can create their own forum. In fact, you could create your own thcHealth forum where you'd be able to enforce your own rules, and actually legitimately and reasonably say something along the lines of "x had no place on y".

Until then, it's not really your call. Just like it isn't my call.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    LEVITATEME's post above is a good example of what I mean. Not the positive feedback most people need.

It's great it takes you 45 seconds to make a shake - I don't have that time so I am looking for something I can grab from fridge and walk out door. But I didn't ask that anyway so don't comment unless you know of a good pre-made shake suggestion.

Eat less - move more - really?!?! Yes it's true but it's about the least helpful thing I have ever heard. What people on here need is something in depth - links to a website you use, a book that really turned things around, some tales from your journey that might inspire them. Eat less and move more doesn't help lay out any specific plans which is what people here need.

And "you don't need a grocery list". Do you realize people who go the store without a grocery list tend to overeat and buy fattening items they don't need. Your always better shopping with a list. Yes - many of us DO need a grocery list and don't know how to make a healthy one ourselves.

POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS WHAT WE NEED! Not just you telling us it's all so simple and acting like why can't we all just figure this out.

Why is it my job to tell you how to make a grocery list? and why is it rude of me to say you should be able to figure that out yourself? This is a website that tells you the calorie content of every single food on earth. Pick out foods you like that fit the calories provided to you and go to the store and buy them.

From now on, my canned answer to every thread will be "you are doing everything exactly right. Good job."

And then people will be like "but wait you didn't answer any of my questions" and I will be like "You're so smart and strong."

I just wonder, why do you get off so much on making people feel like crap? If we can stop all of the weak pretending for a moment - you're not trying to help, you're not trying to offer advice or wisdom or share any of your own experiences for the betterment of mankind. You're just deliberately and constantly taking craps on people who are asking for help. Whether or not they come across as annoying, lazy or stupid, I really want to know why is it so very very very important to you to let them know that you find them annoying, lazy and stupid?

I guess this is probably the Question at the Heart of the Internet: Why can't anyone just STFU if they don't have anything to add to a thread?

Ask yourself the same question. What compels you to attack me as someone who defecates on people? Where did I say the words "stupid, "lazy" or "annoying?"

Please, let me know.

If someone says "i need you to give me a grocery list I have no idea what to eat!" and I say "You can literally eat any food you like, MFP sets a calorie goal for you, just make what you like fit." How is that calling them stupid, lazy or annoying? How is it mean? How am I "getting off" on it (which, by the way, totally sexual and inappropriate to say to me)

Please, please, please, help me. Explain it to me.

Oh wait no, sorry, they are being extremely overly sensitive.

No, when they're asking that question they're saying they are stuck in a rut, having issues with tunnel-vision at the store, aren't sure how to break patterns or don't cook AND they do not know what to Google or where to find answers. If they really had no idea how to eat, they'd have died of starvation ages ago. You choose to interpret the post as "I'm too lazy to look up recipes and stuff and I can't count to that high number of calories MFP gave me" and you reply in kind. I refuse to believe that you don't know exactly what you're doing and how you're making people feel.

And speaking of "extremely overly sensitive"....get a grip. Unless that's also a 'sexual and inappropriate" thing to say? Thanks for the major lulz on that one!

Yeah I'm being sarcastic, because you and a lot of other people take all this crap WAYYYYY too seriously. Go outside, fly a kite.

I'm really not the one freaking out. I'm asking what I feel is a legitimate question after reading quite a few of your...hot...responses. I just want to understand.

She's from Queens and now lives in NJ. What's to understand lol

Well, my dad is from Queens so maybe we can make up.
    You're okay in my book friend. I am not a mean person. :flowerforyou:

Well now I feel like I might be lol <3