People on here need to stick to feedback the user asks for?!?!

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    thcguy123 wrote: »
    BENNETINFINITY: your completely right in saying "I think people who want specific advice about their personal course of action are better served finding like minded people in the groups".

That is what we are doing when we post here - trying to find like minded people to help us.

mommyrunning - I love your comment. Not everyone here knows how to design meals, cook, work out, etc. They need help from people (supposedly all of you) who have already learned it, gone through it, know more. They can learn though with your help - not sarcastic comments.

Your supposed to act as teachers, peers, coaches, positive influences and yes - maybe even share some knowledge so we don't have to take forever to learn it the hard way.

Just curious, how does a grown adult "not know how" to exercise?

I'd be curious to see the answer to this question.

I don't think she actually meant "doesn't know HOW". It's more a case of if you grew up with little to no physical activity, didn't play outside a lot, didn't play sports, have no active role models, etc. the "where to begin" can seem overwhelming due to the multitude of exercise programs advertised. I'm sure true beginners wonder, "do I get on the treadmill? what do I do with all those machines at the gym? can I just go for a walk?", etc. That's how I took it anyway.

But it's so simple. You start MOVING. The answer "move more" is not intended to be inflammatory. It's the truth! Try something.

Start walking. Walking becomes boring, then start running. Don't like running? Do cycling. Cardio not your thing? Try a strength program. Not sure which program is best for you? Google. Don't like strength training? TRY SOMETHING ELSE.

I think these were responses to my comment so I will answer. I could have chosen my words better or explained it more when I said some people don't know how to exercise. I didn't mean that people don't know how to walk or run for example. I meant that some people don't know something as simple as a 20 minute walk can help them lose weight or that they don't have to run 5 miles a day and lift hundreds of lbs to get fit. Some people don't have any clue how many calories exercise burns. Maybe something like, "some people don't understand exercise well or how to use it for weight loss" would have been better.

I get that, but how is an answer like "Doesn't matter what you do, just do anything," i.e. move more, an inappropriate response?

I really don't understand the whole "I don't know where to start" when it comes to exercise. Whenever I personally see a thread like that, I always ask the OP what their goals are and what tools they have at hand, and then I try to respond appropriately.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    LEVITATEME's post above is a good example of what I mean. Not the positive feedback most people need.

It's great it takes you 45 seconds to make a shake - I don't have that time so I am looking for something I can grab from fridge and walk out door. But I didn't ask that anyway so don't comment unless you know of a good pre-made shake suggestion.

Eat less - move more - really?!?! Yes it's true but it's about the least helpful thing I have ever heard. What people on here need is something in depth - links to a website you use, a book that really turned things around, some tales from your journey that might inspire them. Eat less and move more doesn't help lay out any specific plans which is what people here need.

And "you don't need a grocery list". Do you realize people who go the store without a grocery list tend to overeat and buy fattening items they don't need. Your always better shopping with a list. Yes - many of us DO need a grocery list and don't know how to make a healthy one ourselves.

POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS WHAT WE NEED! Not just you telling us it's all so simple and acting like why can't we all just figure this out.

Why is it my job to tell you how to make a grocery list? and why is it rude of me to say you should be able to figure that out yourself? This is a website that tells you the calorie content of every single food on earth. Pick out foods you like that fit the calories provided to you and go to the store and buy them.

From now on, my canned answer to every thread will be "you are doing everything exactly right. Good job."

And then people will be like "but wait you didn't answer any of my questions" and I will be like "You're so smart and strong."

I just wonder, why do you get off so much on making people feel like crap? If we can stop all of the weak pretending for a moment - you're not trying to help, you're not trying to offer advice or wisdom or share any of your own experiences for the betterment of mankind. You're just deliberately and constantly taking craps on people who are asking for help. Whether or not they come across as annoying, lazy or stupid, I really want to know why is it so very very very important to you to let them know that you find them annoying, lazy and stupid?

I guess this is probably the Question at the Heart of the Internet: Why can't anyone just STFU if they don't have anything to add to a thread?

Ask yourself the same question. What compels you to attack me as someone who defecates on people? Where did I say the words "stupid, "lazy" or "annoying?"

Please, let me know.

If someone says "i need you to give me a grocery list I have no idea what to eat!" and I say "You can literally eat any food you like, MFP sets a calorie goal for you, just make what you like fit." How is that calling them stupid, lazy or annoying? How is it mean? How am I "getting off" on it (which, by the way, totally sexual and inappropriate to say to me)

Please, please, please, help me. Explain it to me.

Oh wait no, sorry, they are being extremely overly sensitive.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This site is full of cry-babies

As I say to my children: toughen up buttercup

The people I see shedding 90% of the tears are the ones engaging in near-constant whining drama about being perceived as "mean". Either be a d-bag and accept that people are gonna think you're a d-bag, or don't be one and then people won't think you're one. Pretty easy, IMO.

The responses on those threads were still taken as being mean even by people genuinely trying to help (I was one on the exercise one).

The fact of the matter is, this OP specifically is opening threads and playing a victim.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Can we have a group hug now?

I promise I'll keep my pants on.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    LEVITATEME's post above is a good example of what I mean. Not the positive feedback most people need.

It's great it takes you 45 seconds to make a shake - I don't have that time so I am looking for something I can grab from fridge and walk out door. But I didn't ask that anyway so don't comment unless you know of a good pre-made shake suggestion.

Eat less - move more - really?!?! Yes it's true but it's about the least helpful thing I have ever heard. What people on here need is something in depth - links to a website you use, a book that really turned things around, some tales from your journey that might inspire them. Eat less and move more doesn't help lay out any specific plans which is what people here need.

And "you don't need a grocery list". Do you realize people who go the store without a grocery list tend to overeat and buy fattening items they don't need. Your always better shopping with a list. Yes - many of us DO need a grocery list and don't know how to make a healthy one ourselves.

POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS WHAT WE NEED! Not just you telling us it's all so simple and acting like why can't we all just figure this out.

Why is it my job to tell you how to make a grocery list? and why is it rude of me to say you should be able to figure that out yourself? This is a website that tells you the calorie content of every single food on earth. Pick out foods you like that fit the calories provided to you and go to the store and buy them.

From now on, my canned answer to every thread will be "you are doing everything exactly right. Good job."

And then people will be like "but wait you didn't answer any of my questions" and I will be like "You're so smart and strong."

I just wonder, why do you get off so much on making people feel like crap? If we can stop all of the weak pretending for a moment - you're not trying to help, you're not trying to offer advice or wisdom or share any of your own experiences for the betterment of mankind. You're just deliberately and constantly taking craps on people who are asking for help. Whether or not they come across as annoying, lazy or stupid, I really want to know why is it so very very very important to you to let them know that you find them annoying, lazy and stupid?

I guess this is probably the Question at the Heart of the Internet: Why can't anyone just STFU if they don't have anything to add to a thread?

Ask yourself the same question. What compels you to attack me as someone who defecates on people? Where did I say the words "stupid, "lazy" or "annoying?"

Please, let me know.

If someone says "i need you to give me a grocery list I have no idea what to eat!" and I say "You can literally eat any food you like, MFP sets a calorie goal for you, just make what you like fit." How is that calling them stupid, lazy or annoying? How is it mean? How am I "getting off" on it (which, by the way, totally sexual and inappropriate to say to me)

No, when they're asking that question they're saying they are stuck in a rut, having issues with tunnel-vision at the store, aren't sure how to break patterns or don't cook AND they do not know what to Google or where to find answers. If they really had no idea how to eat, they'd have died of starvation ages ago. You choose to interpret the post as "I'm too lazy to look up recipes and stuff and I can't count to that high number of calories MFP gave me" and you reply in kind. I refuse to believe that you don't know exactly what you're doing and how you're making people feel.

And speaking of "extremely overly sensitive"....get a grip. Unless that's also a 'sexual and inappropriate" thing to say? Thanks for the major lulz on that one!
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Words on a screen make people "feel like crap"?

Two pieces of advice:

Stop giving your power away.

Don't assign tone where there is none.
  • levitateme
    Options
    Man, I love these threads. I guess I am getting off on it, but not on "abusing" people. I like the whiners of MFP, really.

Anyone remember Meeratalia? She used to get into it with me ALL THE TIME about how sugar was the devil and she "quit" sugar and compare sugar to nicotine. I would always tell her that a restrictive diet was not sustainable and she would do better if she learned moderation and she and others would tell me I was an abuser who didn't just let people live their life. She hasn't logged in for a month, her last logged day of food was a 5000 calorie binge.

Score one for the meanie, should have taken my advice I guess.
  • dbmata
    Options
    And speaking of "extremely overly sensitive"....get a grip. Unless that's also a 'sexual and inappropriate" thing to say? Thanks for the major lulz on that one!
    It's getting hot in herrrre.
  • levitateme
    Options

Please, let me know.

No, when they're asking that question they're saying they are stuck in a rut, having issues with tunnel-vision at the store, aren't sure how to break patterns or don't cook AND they do not know what to Google or where to find answers. If they really had no idea how to eat, they'd have died of starvation ages ago. You choose to interpret the post as "I'm too lazy to look up recipes and stuff and I can't count to that high number of calories MFP gave me" and you reply in kind. I refuse to believe that you don't know exactly what you're doing and how you're making people feel.

Yeah I'm being sarcastic, because you and a lot of other people take all this crap WAYYYYY too seriously. Go outside, fly a kite.

• levitateme
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Can we have a group hug now?

I promise I'll keep my pants on.

Is that a milkyway or are you happy to see me?

FLAGGED FOR SEXUAL PERVERSION

• dbmata
    Options
    Words on a screen make people "feel like crap"?

Two pieces of advice:

Stop giving your power away.

Don't assign tone where there is none.

Now this is an interesting point of view.

People who are "affected" by forum posting are actively giving away their agency. Hmmmm. I can't argue that one bit.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Please, let me know.

Yeah I'm being sarcastic, because you and a lot of other people take all this crap WAYYYYY too seriously. Go outside, fly a kite.

I'm really not the one freaking out. I'm asking what I feel is a legitimate question after reading quite a few of your...hot...responses. I just want to understand.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Man, I love these threads. I guess I am getting off on it, but not on "abusing" people. I like the whiners of MFP, really.

Anyone remember Meeratalia? She used to get into it with me ALL THE TIME about how sugar was the devil and she "quit" sugar and compare sugar to nicotine. I would always tell her that a restrictive diet was not sustainable and she would do better if she learned moderation and she and others would tell me I was an abuser who didn't just let people live their life. She hasn't logged in for a month, her last logged day of food was a 5000 calorie binge.

Perhaps, or just perhaps this way of eating works for her. I don't know of whom you speak, but restrictive diets do work for some, even if they do binge. Eating low calories 6 days a week with a 5000 calorie binge day can still average out to a deficit for the week.

There is more than one way to get to goal.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

The people I see shedding 90% of the tears are the ones engaging in near-constant whining drama about being perceived as "mean". Either be a d-bag and accept that people are gonna think you're a d-bag, or don't be one and then people won't think you're one. Pretty easy, IMO.

The responses on those threads were still taken as being mean even by people genuinely trying to help (I was one on the exercise one).

The fact of the matter is, this OP specifically is opening threads and playing a victim.

Ah, link pls? I'm thinking of the recent 'how not to lose fat' and 'tough love' threads...remind me of the exercise one?

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Please, let me know.

I'm really not the one freaking out. I'm asking what I feel is a legitimate question after reading quite a few of your...hot...responses. I just want to understand.

She's from Queens and now lives in NJ. What's to understand lol
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Perhaps, or just perhaps this way of eating works for her. I don't know of whom you speak, but restrictive diets do work for some, even if they do binge. Eating low calories 6 days a week with a 5000 calorie binge day can still average out to a deficit for the week.

There is more than one way to get to goal.

So...you're saying a VLCD with a 5000 calorie binge day is a healthy lifestyle? You're seriously just arguing for the sake of arguing now.
  • levitateme
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »

Please, let me know.

Okay, now you're actually abusing me.

I CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE OF THIS.

THE WORDS

THE WORDS ON THE SCREEN

THEY BURN

• sofaking6
    Options

Please, let me know.

Well, my dad is from Queens so maybe we can make up.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Ah, link pls? I'm thinking of the recent 'how not to lose fat' and 'tough love' threads...remind me of the exercise one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=Thcguy123&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&within=1+day&date=

Here are the threads in question.
  • levitateme
    Options

Please, let me know.

Well, my dad is from Queens so maybe we can make up.
    You're okay in my book friend. I am not a mean person. :flowerforyou: