Smoking

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.

I'd like you to read through the responses of the successful quitters posting here who DID use the ecig to transition to being a non smoker. For quite a few of us, it did work. Research/studies etc aren't always in tune with what works in the real world, so maybe allow for actual life experience to color your advice.

Celebrate any product that helps a smoker to quit.

Truth. With the success people are having, I'm sure there will be more research published in the near future. They don't work for everyone, but they help A LOT of people quit. I'd say a little over half of the people I know who have tried it (myself included) have been successful. And they've been successful with little to no side effects (like weight gain and depression) that usually come along with quitting.

And I agree that I would not take advice on quitting smoking from someone who has never smoked.

i always liked smoking, idk how addicted i really was to the nicotine... but a suppose i had to be. If its the nicotine drug effect that draws you to smoking (whatever that really is lol) then it would probably help.

but if you really the act of drawing smoke into your lungs (i know to nonsmokers that probably sounds hella disgusting), then it probably wont do a lot for you.

You've got it backwards. They work better than patches and gums BECAUSE you still get the act/sensation of drawing "smoke" into your lunges.

That doesn't change the fact that they still contain chemicals that can increase the risk of getting cancer.

I'm *not* at all trying to be combative or argue with you. But consider this: using a potentially dangerous, short term device to quit a proven dangerous, long term addiction - don't you think the benefits outweigh the risks in this situation?

The damage is already done so at that point it really won't matter. I was just stating that it's not exactly a "hazard free" option and ultimately, quitting cold turkey is the way to go; if the person is able to do so. But obviously not everyone is capable of doing that and some need the assistance of an e-cig.

Anecdotally, e-cigs have done a solid job of helping quitters. Just look at my or some of the other ex-smoker's comments in this very thread.

Also, you seem to have a lot invested in this thread...there is plenty of good advice already in here from people who have been through this. Maybe you don't need to try so hard, eh? It's detracting from the actually helpful conversation. :mrgreen:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.

I'd like you to read through the responses of the successful quitters posting here who DID use the ecig to transition to being a non smoker. For quite a few of us, it did work. Research/studies etc aren't always in tune with what works in the real world, so maybe allow for actual life experience to color your advice.

Truth. With the success people are having, I'm sure there will be more research published in the near future. They don't work for everyone, but they help A LOT of people quit. I'd say a little over half of the people I know who have tried it (myself included) have been successful. And they've been successful with little to no side effects (like weight gain and depression) that usually come along with quitting.

And I agree that I would not take advice on quitting smoking from someone who has never smoked.

i always liked smoking, idk how addicted i really was to the nicotine... but a suppose i had to be. If its the nicotine drug effect that draws you to smoking (whatever that really is lol) then it would probably help.

but if you really the act of drawing smoke into your lungs (i know to nonsmokers that probably sounds hella disgusting), then it probably wont do a lot for you.

You've got it backwards. They work better than patches and gums BECAUSE you still get the act/sensation of drawing "smoke" into your lunges.

That doesn't change the fact that they still contain chemicals that can increase the risk of getting cancer.

I'm *not* at all trying to be combative or argue with you. But consider this: using a potentially dangerous, short term device to quit a proven dangerous, long term addiction - don't you think the benefits outweigh the risks in this situation?

The damage is already done so at that point it really won't matter. I was just stating that it's not exactly a "hazard free" option and ultimately, quitting cold turkey is the way to go; if the person is able to do so. But obviously not everyone is capable of doing that and some need the assistance of an e-cig.

Let's recap. You stated NUMEROUS times, smoking is bad, cancer, chemicals, bad bad bad, you must quit. . . BUT once you decide to quit the damage has already been done so at that point it really wont matter?? In what parallel universe does that make any sense?? Please enlighten me.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Re: the post that said there aren't studies saying that e-cigs help people quit, this study popped up on my Facebook feed today.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20141119/E-cigarettes-reduce-cravings-for-tobacco-cigarettes.aspx

Let's recap. You stated NUMEROUS times, smoking is bad, cancer, chemicals, bad bad bad, you must quit. . . BUT once you decide to quit the damage has already been done so at that point it really wont matter?? In what parallel universe does that make any sense?? Please enlighten me.

I was wondering the same thing!

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Rereading this thread and I love the support, the personal stories, etc. For me, e-cigs didn't work at all; however, it's nice to hear that they have helped some people, so I can quit discounting those when I give advice.

On another note: FatFreeFrolicking, I really want you to stop talking. Please stop talking. Please.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    seinfeld.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

it would be more effective in that respect then a patch but still very different from inhaling smoke

and i actually also agree that quitting cold turkey is the way to go with quitting any drug (any drug who's immediate withdrawal isn't likely to cause greater health risk).

Its also the cheapest option, and WILL get you over the hump the fastest (thought not the easiest).

I would think this really should be your first option or at least something that should be attempted.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

it would be more effective in that respect then a patch but still very different from inhaling smoke

Yeah I went all out for a fancy e-cig but the 'fake' smoking actually triggered more cravings. For me the physical addiction is very small, it's the habit that's everything. Maybe I should try different e-cigs.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me need a cigarette....
  • xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just quit been 3 weeks but broke down and got me a vape for the times I really wanted to smoke. I feel better & didnt gain weight
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Re: the post that said there aren't studies saying that e-cigs help people quit, this study popped up on my Facebook feed today.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20141119/E-cigarettes-reduce-cravings-for-tobacco-cigarettes.aspx

I was wondering the same thing!

Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer that quitting cold turkey is the only way to quit (atleast for me). I found everything else to just be transferring my addiction from one thing to another. That being said, I find it horrific for someone who never smoked and has no idea how hard it is to quit get all preachy on people (who happen to be grown adults) who do indeed know what it feels like to go through nicotine withdrawls and then to top it all off make statements of pure contradiction.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Yeah I went all out for a fancy e-cig but the 'fake' smoking actually triggered more cravings. For me the physical addiction is very small, it's the habit that's everything. Maybe I should try different e-cigs.

The vaporizers with the tank and battery where you put the liquid in yourself are, in my opinion, the best. The ones that look like actual cigarettes suck.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

The vaporizers with the tank and battery where you put the liquid in yourself are, in my opinion, the best. The ones that look like actual cigarettes suck.

Lol I'm screwed then :)

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone eats "clean" and still smokes?
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I wonder if anyone eats "clean" and still smokes?

Nobody I know! I'm really careful about the beef and chicken I eat, but nothing else. But I do exercise on the regular...so I got that going for me..

• QueenKristine7
    Options
    grlgemini wrote: »
    I quit smoking 3 years ago. I smoked since my teenage years (quit when I was 40). I still think about smoking. Even have smoker dreams every once in awhile. However, it was soo difficult for me to quit that I don't think I will ever go back. But, I am just one cigarette away from smoking a pack a day. I know I can't smoke socially. I sure wish I could! :) I don't think the feeling ever goes away, but it isn't like I obsess over it constantly. I don't think of it every day or even every month. I gained 15 lbs when I quit, but I was okay with it. Now I have 20 lbs to lose. I don't regret it for a minute!

this was the same for me except it was a bit over 2 years ago now. I started when i was about 17 and quit a month before my 41st birthday. I still think about it now and again but really only when i'm bored.

• NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer that quitting cold turkey is the only way to quit (atleast for me). I found everything else to just be transferring my addiction from one thing to another. That being said, I find it horrific for someone who never smoked and has no idea how hard it is to quit get all preachy on people (who happen to be grown adults) who do indeed know what it feels like to go through nicotine withdrawls and then to top it all off make statements of pure contradiction.

I agree 100% with bran. I smoked for about a decade and then used smokeless tobacco for the next decade. When I quit I was taking in about 4 cigarette packs worth of nicotine a day and quit cold turkey. All the research shows if you really want to quit and stay quit cold turkey gives you the best chance. Any NRT (nicotine replacement therapy) like gums, patches, or vap still deliver the addictive chemical to your body.

Cold turkey.. deal with the suck. After 3 days all the nic is out of your system. You will never forget those first 3 days. Each day will be a little easier than the next(for the most part).

Good luck! You can do it!!!
  • LawOfFives
    LawOfFives Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy, but Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking, which you can get as a book or an audio book, works better than patches/gum (did that 4 times) stop smoking drugs (did that twice) or going "cold turkey" (too many times to count).
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through all the posts.. But

Personally: I'm now 90+ days smoke free, using an e-cig. It's the BEST thing that has worked for me. And I've tried everything from cold turkey, patches, Champix in the past all to no avail. I smoked a pack a day for the past 21yrs. Picked up an e-cig & haven't even had a puff off a real cig since. I have stabilised weight wise (guess the NRT helps balance that out. In fact I've still dropped a few lbs since quitting). Horses for courses & all that stuff. But at the end of the day nicotine vs cigs there's no comparison re: health hazards. Nicotine still contracts the vascular system.. So I guess that does cause some issues. But at least it doesn't come with all the additional crap that cigarettes do.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

You're right and thank the Lord for that.

I'm curious though… since when must you be a smoker to comment on a thread about smoking? Is it some sort of new rule?

I didn't think so. So kindly "shhh" yourself.

I basically had a nervous break down/chronic anxiety attacks so bad I couldn't go to work for several days when I quit smoking cold turkey in September. You have no frame of reference, and thus are not qualified to give advice to smokers about quitting. I greatly endorse using nicotine replacement therapy. I would have saved myself a lot of drama if I had.

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I had a cigarette, well, 1 1/2 cigarettes for the first time on Sunday after almost 10 years. It was a really bad day.

Sometimes the cravings hit you. When you're stressed and know that hit will help relax you. But most of the time I could bring my hands to my lips and inhale, like a 'mock smoke' and it would relax me and I could move on from there.

Weird...maybe. Funny looking, definitely. But it helped.

And it should be noted that on Sunday, I also drank 3 manhattan's and puked in the shower for the first time. I can easily handle 3 manhattan's. I apparently can't handle them when I decide to smoke. I also kept tasting 'smoke' when I would breathe/cough/burp - anything that got air from deep in my lungs for the first few hours on Monday.

Gotta say, this experience helped expel most of any lingering feelings I had for romanticizing smoking in my head.