Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes...Its a new FDA approved diet pill. Yes..I know its not a magic pill. Have you tried it? Is it taking the "edge" off the hunger and cravings like its supposed to?

Hello
  • FinallyHopeful
    FinallyHopeful Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree that diet pills are not magic pills and that we need to learn a new way of eating and living. However, I also assert that obesity is very much a disease. For example, I believe that frequently once one hits a certain weight that it messes up your insulin and metabolic functions which results in overwhelming physiologic urges to overeat again and again. I have read that when there is too much insulin that the insulin grabs you by the shoulders and screams, "Eat! Eat!." I also believe that many are also afflicted with food addictions also probably resulting from brain chemicals gone haywire. Then, there are many who overeat out of habit.

I think I have all three problems. I realize that generally lower carbs, more protein, more vegetables, less starchy vegetables, more good fat, and low glycemic fruit help to curb hunger. However, it can feel like climbing Mount Everest if you are grappling with all of the above with some depression thrown on top due to your predicament. For over a decade I felt like I was in a hole and unable to eat well for any longer than 3 months and constantly regaining any weight I lost. I do not think it is a matter of will power because if it were than more people would have success with weight loss.

Fortunately, my weight loss doctor at a major university prescribed Metformin and Contrave for me. For once, I feel like I am not plagued by constant urges for sweets and overeating. In fact, I finally feel that I have the willpower of steel for the past month. For the record, I have had the discipline in the past to quit smoking after 17 years and to become a successful critical care nurse educator and so and so forth. I just could not deal with this weight thing and now I am hopeful that I can. I feel medication can be a tool to help me gain control while also changing my habits.

Contrave is composed of 2 meds that have been around for decades and both have good safety records. I did find the wellbutrin component of contrave made me very jittery to first couple of weeks so I immediately cut out coffee and most caffeine. They say most folks get over the jitters after several weeks. I also have only been on one pill of contrave a day and will only very slowly increase to recommended dose as needed after discussing with my doctor. I recommend giving it a try for anyone struggling like I did since unlike other weight loss pills this one actually is safe and both drugs have long track records.

Metformin is used for pre-diabetes and diabetes. I have pre-diabetes which I suspect I have had a long time despite normal bloodwork (I had gestational diabetes). It is very safe as well and has a long track record. They are also studying its use in obese individuals without pre-diabetes and diabetes. I would ask about this drug too in the extended release form and start slowly with one pill a day gradually increased over weeks or months to desired dose as ordered by your doctor. It does frequently cause gastrointestinal issues which usually go away after several weeks. Using the extended release form and slowly increasing dose and taking with meals helps avoid these issues. I have had no problems. I was also astounded how it took away my hunger pangs that have plagued me forever.

I hope this helps someone. I also believe that one should try to fix things without meds when possible. However, meds when used correctly can also be a lifeline for someone.
  • FinallyHopeful
    Options
    I forgot to add that my jitters from the contrave are gone. I am still on one pill a day and will discuss with my doctor.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed me Contrave and I've been taking it for a little over two weeks now. I have noticed that it does help with making better decisions and makes me feel "normal". By that I mean that I don't think about food 24/7. I'm not sure if the pill helps me with overeating though. It just helps with cravings and makes me not feel so "blah".
  • silviasfb
    silviasfb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just filled my prescription for Contrave. Will start tomorrow. I'll keep you updated. @UnoDrea3732‌ Have you lost weight?
  • hallsh1
    Options
    I've been on Contrave for 5 days and so far it has really worked to control my appetite. I was pessimistic and cautious at first b/c it's so new. But my doc and I will watch closely to see how I respond. In fact, on NYE we went to my fav restaurant and I had to practically make myself eat AND drink wine. I didn't finish anything. It was weird. The only SE I've experienced started today - dizziness and nausea all day. Also, a general feeling of malaise to the point of only wanting to lie down, which is not like me. I felt bad for my 5yr old who really wanted to play today. I'll stay on for a couple more days to see if it passes. But if not, I'll have to stop taking it. And that sucks b/c it's really working to curb my cravings and appetite.
  • nbk7680
    nbk7680 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave in November. I lost 7 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks. I had headache issues when I started week 3 which is 2 pills in the AM and 1 in the PM. I scaled back to just 1 pill/2 times daily but I was no longer feeling the adversion to food that I felt during the first 2 weeks. Yesterday, I started taking 3 pills again but spacing them out (1 pill AM/1 afternoon/1 evening) and I did well. I will try that again today.
  • StephElizabeth88
    StephElizabeth88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am in my 4th week on contrave. I just started the 2 pills in the morning and two pills at night 3 days ago. The first 2 weeks I didn't feel any different but I definitely feel different now. I have a constant "groggy" headache and some really intense fatigue. I do have to say that it has worked miracles for my appetite. I have never been able to turn down cravings and I was someone who thought about food 24/7 but now I don't. I have no cravings at all, I feel satisfied faster so I'm not over eating and I only think about food when it's time to eat. I also noticed that I'm usually a Happy Hour drinker on work nights and the last few nights I haven't been interested in a glass of wine. I can't wait to see what the next 4 weeks hold, I'm excited but I'm also ready for the headaches and fatigue to go away.
  • herchevy
    herchevy Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am in my 4th week on contrave. I just started the 2 pills in the morning and two pills at night 3 days ago. The first 2 weeks I didn't feel any different but I definitely feel different now. I have a constant "groggy" headache and some really intense fatigue. I do have to say that it has worked miracles for my appetite. I have never been able to turn down cravings and I was someone who thought about food 24/7 but now I don't. I have no cravings at all, I feel satisfied faster so I'm not over eating and I only think about food when it's time to eat. I also noticed that I'm usually a Happy Hour drinker on work nights and the last few nights I haven't been interested in a glass of wine.ait to see what the next 4 weeks hold, I'm excited but I'm also ready for the headaches and fatigue to go away.

Glad to hear you are doing well. My dr. Gave me script for contrave. I will be starting next week. How much weight have you lost? Thanks and good Luck!
  • StephElizabeth88
    StephElizabeth88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed recently but my clothes are fitting better. I do have an update on the side effects. Most of the people trying it are experiencing the headaches and extreme nausea and I have too. It was so bad yesterday afternoon that I left work and felt like I needed to go straight to bed but instead I stopped by Walgreens. Let me tell you, if you are experiencing the terrible side effects you need to get some Bonine motion sickness medicine, Dramamine and Aleve. I took a Dramamine last night and it completely wiped out that terrible sick feeling but it also made me very sleepy. I chewed the Bonine this morning since it's non drowsy and it kicked all those symptoms. Fatigue is gone, headaches are gone, nausea is gone and best of all, cravings and hunger is still gone too! Just wanted to share the wealth :)
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The headache is likely from your blood pressure going up. Simple walking seems to help me with that. Not long, or vigorously, but get up & move around a little. I start week 3 tomorrow. In someways, the grogginess has been great for sleeping at night. I'm a very light sleeper & toss & turn a lot.

I've noticed less snacking & craving certain foods. I don't have a scale, so not sure if any weight has been lost at this point. But I FEEL better. I'm motivated, whereas before, I was very BLAH about it. Just didn't care anymore. I was tired of fighting it & yet hated how I looked. I'd lost & regained 50 lbs numerous times. This last time, I regained 70 & felt so defeated. So far, it's not the normal struggle it has been in the beginning of past tries to lose weight.
  • villalobosmelisa
    villalobosmelisa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking contrave Dec 8 2014, I have had excellent results down 20 lbs. The first week was very hard because I am addicted to carbs and sweets; I was also feeling nausea and weak and just very strange being that I never take any meds at all, by day 5 I felt alot better I had energy and o was not craving any sweets or carbs. I started eating clean and I'm not saying I didn't sneak I'm a little sweet something in there I but overall I have been ok. Some days I will have breakfast and have to force my lunch in. I have expierenced stomach pains lately but it's because I am not eating at all at time and it's because I don't feel hungry. All I have to say about this medication is that it is a great product and I recommend 100%, I will continue to update my results Good luck to everyone taking the product.
  • reba62
    reba62 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Contrave now for 2 weeks. It has dulled my cravings, but not taken away hunger. I do not eat alot therefore I am going with when I feel hunger pains, my body is truly hungry. I try drinking a glass of water first and if in 10-15 minutes I am still hungry I eat some protein or fruit. I have slight high blood pressure that I take medication for. This has increased my blood pressure some. The biggest thing with this that I am not liking is the jitteriness. My hands shake, I have a quiver that has started on the inside of my upper lip and I just have an overall feeling of anxiousness. I am hoping this goes away with another week or so. If not, I will not stay on this as I do not like feeling like this. I have not had queasiness or vomiting. I am more tired, but I attribute that to going off of my Phentermine which gave me great energy without jitters. I had good luck with Phentermine, but you have to go off every 3 months for one month. For those of you that said you didn't have a scale, Contrave offers a free scale that they send you to track your weight wirelessly and they also send you text messages and emails with helpful hints on keeping your weight loss going. I have only lost 1.6 lbs in 2 weeks. We shall see what the next few weeks offers. I am 5'6", 52 years old and weigh 217. Needless to say, I have at least another 50lbs to lose. Good luck to all.
  • FinallyHopeful
    Options
    I am down 20 pounds so far on Metformin and one pill a day of Contrave-see my previous post. Usually this time of year I gain 20 pounds with the holidays and what not so I am quite happy and I am confident I will lose even more now. My cravings are still almost entirely gone after 3 months on contrave.
  • tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been on Contrave for four weeks now. The first two weeks I didn't lose any weight. But I didn't gain either. I think its because they slowly want you to introduce it to your body. I have since lost weight. And I don't find myself eating out of habit, normally I would eat just because or wake up during the night craving something sweet. I haven't done that at all since I have been on Contrave. I know there are people who say its not a miracle pill and yes I am fully aware of that. I just wanted a boost in the right direction, I hit a plateau and wasn't losing any weight. Ultimately it is your choice and your doctors whether or not you take the pills. Good luck to you.
  • kskarp
    Options
    I've been on Contrave for almost 3 months. First 4 weeks are hell. I'm serious. It's horrible. Pushed through it and everything evened out. No more hellish symptoms. I'm mean hellish too. Sweating, naseua, pounding headache, & just in general crappy. I have lost 15 pounds but I'm not sure it's the Contrave. I am starving all day long. I'm losing weight through a very strict diet & exercise. I never got the energy increase & appetite suppress they talked about. I can still eat all day if I wanted to. I just fight through it with no help from Contrave. I do however like the Wellbutrin as it seemed to even out my emotions. I get bad pms & this seems to have helped ween the systems. My systems were 1 week before my period & 7 days of a period. 1/2 a month of yo yo emotions. Which I think the Wellbutrin would work fine alone for the emotional eating habits. I don't think its worth the cost since my insurance won't pay for it. I am going to talk to my dr about just a RX for Wellbutrin, which will be cheaper. I will see what he says. He may like my progress & tell me to stay on it. Not sure.
  • SSuziSlim
    Options
    Hello:

I have been taking Contrave since Jan 2015. I have also been on WW since 2009, lost over 110 pds and kept is off. Also received the scale and on the ScaleDown progam (totally do not like weighing every day as it contradicts what WW tells me).

To date, the medicine not really helped at all. Scale false readings (compared to my own scale).

I am scheduled to visit my physician on the 11th. Will know if I will continue or discontinue. Will update with my post.

Have a nice day all.
  • Jhearn2011
    Jhearn2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started Contrave this morning and have around 60 lbs to lose. definitely wil be needing extra support :smiley:
  • mommy2mjh
    Options
    I've been on Contrave for a week. I'm down 5 lbs. so far. I haven't noticed any side effects. I also don't feel like it's curbing my appetite or cravings yet. I start the 2 pills a day today, so we'll see what happens.
  • Skinnymindy456
    Skinnymindy456 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started today and I have 70 pounds to lose. I need something to help me with the cravings. Will keep you guys updated.