Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    No they really can't. People assume that the person is an idiot who is looking for a quick fix. I'm sorry I even asked.

The drug has only been FDA approved for 2 months, so how could anyone here tell you if they've had success with the drug? It takes much longer than 2 months to know if a weight loss program is successful.

I was on it for almost 3 weeks. Started in October. Some people may have been part of the trails also.

I just don't think 3 weeks is long enough to know if something weight loss related is successful, but that's my opinion. I'm sure others have the same opinion, but OP thinks that means we think she's an idiot (?)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hbm616 wrote: »
    weird...I just learned about this drug but for people with opiate and alcohol dependence (the population that I work with)....How is it supposed to help weight loss?

interesting. how do they work for substance dependence? (my line of work also, in the uk)

Contrave is a combination of naltrexone and wellbutrin (bupropion). Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist so it blocks the mu receptors in the brain. The wellbutrin is an antidepressant which is also used to decrease tobacco cravings so I imagine it must work for all types of cravings (alcohol, opiates and even food apparently).

thanks for the info :smile:
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Its supposed to help suppress appetite and cravings. I'm fully aware of how, what, how much I'm supposed to eat. I was hoping to find out of it helped anyone with those issues because I'm miserable. I would just like to be one of those people who eat to live instead of living to eat. I'm 40 and 5'2". I have an appetite and love of food that doesn't gel very well with the calorie needs of a person that size.

You just described the reason most overweight people start to use MFP, including myself. The drug will work until you stop taking it and then it will not work because you didn't learn the skills necessary to moderate your intake on your own. Would you rather people lie to you or be helpful and let you know that taking diet pills is a bad idea?
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes...Its a new FDA approved diet pill. Yes..I know its not a magic pill. Have you tried it? Is it taking the "edge" off the hunger and cravings like its supposed to?

Ohhh. I didn't know what "contrave" was. Thank you for enlightening me. I'm taking the drug free approach though.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    No further responses needed. Thanks to everyone for their replies. Special thanks to Grace215...that was the type of response I was looking for.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Its supposed to help suppress appetite and cravings. I'm fully aware of how, what, how much I'm supposed to eat. I was hoping to find out of it helped anyone with those issues because I'm miserable. I would just like to be one of those people who eat to live instead of living to eat. I'm 40 and 5'2". I have an appetite and love of food that doesn't gel very well with the calorie needs of a person that size.

You just described the reason most overweight people start to use MFP, including myself. The drug will work until you stop taking it and then it will not work because you didn't learn the skills necessary to moderate your intake on your own. Would you rather people lie to you or be helpful and let you know that taking diet pills is a bad idea?

That is if it works.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

The pills won't change that. ;( I found that out the hard way. You need to change your mind set. I'm sure your GP would tell you this too. As I said before. I would binge and the pills DO NOT help with that, which is why this medication didn't work for me. I'm 5'1.

My issue was mental, I just wanted to eat more and more not because I was hungry. I'd tell myself it's fine, I can eat more today and get back on track tomorrow and I never got back on track. These pills didn't help me with it at all. How ever the more strict diet I was put on did. I also have signs up around the house showing my highest weight and lowest, which keeps me in check. I weigh everything now that I eat so I can't make excuses. I think that might be what you need to start doing and I hope that works! The mind set is the hardest thing to get past.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    No they really can't. People assume that the person is an idiot who is looking for a quick fix. I'm sorry I even asked.

I don't think people that use diet pills are idiots. I do worry about what happens to their success when they stop taking the pills. The safest way to go about all this is to establish good habits so your success is long term. Once you stop taking the pill, you'll have to start all over, IMO.

Best of luck to you either way.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

The pills WONT change that. ;( I found that out the hard way. You need to change your mind set. I'm sure your GP would tell you this too. As I said before. I would binge and the pills DO NOT help with that, which is why this medication didn't work for me. My issue was mental, I just wanted to eat more and more not because I was hungry. I'd tell myself it's fine, I can eat more today and get back on track tomorrow and I never got back on track. These pills didn't help me with it at all. How ever the more strict diet I was put on did. I also have signs up around the house showing my highest weight and lowest, which keeps me in check. I weigh everything now that I eat so I can't make excuses. I think that might be what you need to start doing and I hope that works! The mind set is the hardest thing to get past.

I guess this is what OP wanted....to hear from someone experience that it was a waste of money.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good job OP choosing the one comment you wanted to read.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No further responses needed. Thanks to everyone for their replies. Special thanks to Grace215...that was the type of response I was looking for.

Glad you received your confirmation bias, just as I predicted
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes...Its a new FDA approved diet pill. Yes..I know its not a magic pill. Have you tried it? Is it taking the "edge" off the hunger and cravings like its supposed to?
    Please rethink taking a weight loss pill. You can take the edge off hunger by eating foods higher in fat and protein, by drinking water, or by spacing meals every few hours.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and 5'3". You're eating the wrong foods if you're that hungry all the time. That was my point.

But if you'd rather take drugs than try a different eating approach, that's up to you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    People just can't resist writing insults and stupid comments that have nothing to do with the question. Hopefully you get some real response to your questions. I'm curious also about Belviq so I'll watch for answers. (Have not tried either of them)
    Mmmmmm.....insulting others because you don't like the answer? Not good.

People are giving real responses, they are just not the ones that the OP or you want to hear.
  • Grace215lbs
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hello,
    Please rethink taking a weight loss pill. You can take the edge off hunger by eating foods higher in fat and protein, by drinking water, or by spacing meals every few hours.

This is what I did! ^ And it worked for me unlike the pill. Plus the food was really good =D

Bacon and eggs in the morning omg yes!
  • Grace215lbs
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Probably not the best example as I ate a heap of tasty salmon and went over my sodium today but it still gives you an idea of a diet that can help keep you full. I'm 5'1 and this has been helping me.

gracediary.png
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

The drug has only been FDA approved for 2 months, so how could anyone here tell you if they've had success with the drug? It takes much longer than 2 months to know if a weight loss program is successful.

Because it takes about 20 years for a drug to make it to the public market and with that they do clinical trials of said drug. Perhaps someone was a guinea pig. I tried V-Bloc (a weight loss surgery) for 4 years...that was 3.5 years ago and it still has not make it to the market. All drugs are usually old news by they time they make to the shelves.

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Those who get offended by "magic pills" best get use to the concept since a lot of obesity research gets funded with the hope of producing drugs to help people lose and manage their weight.

Yes we all know that creating a consistent deficit works, but majority of people who are fat fail to wrest control of their weight problem and shed the excess, and the pharmaceutical companies are only too happy to eventually cash in on a series of drugs that can provide the crutches they long for.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

If you're hungry, you're not eating enough. No need to kill yourself with magic pills.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    weird...I just learned about this drug but for people with opiate and alcohol dependence (the population that I work with)....How is it supposed to help weight loss?

interesting. how do they work for substance dependence? (my line of work also, in the uk)

Contrave is a combination of naltrexone and wellbutrin (bupropion). Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist so it blocks the mu receptors in the brain. The wellbutrin is an antidepressant which is also used to decrease tobacco cravings so I imagine it must work for all types of cravings (alcohol, opiates and even food apparently).

Hate to tell them but wellbutrin doesn't do squat to help with hunger cravings, I take a big enough dose a day i shouldn't want to eat at all lol. Then again it could vary by person too like most drugs.