Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• shenan32
    shenan32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If anyone is using Scaledown do you know how to change your goal weight?

I know you set your text preferences in "Account Settings" Maybe goal weight is there too?
  • krenlw
    krenlw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Contrave for a couple of months now and had very little success. I've lost roughly 7 lbs. My problem is that I haven't taken it regularly. More often than not I only take 2 pills per day. My complaint is that it makes me sweat like crazy, it's 68° in here I'm sweating! I am going to try taking the 4 a day every day this week and see what happens.
  • amberly006
    amberly006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    krenlw wrote: »
    I have been taking Contrave for a couple of months now and had very little success. I've lost roughly 7 lbs. My problem is that I haven't taken it regularly. More often than not I only take 2 pills per day. My complaint is that it makes me sweat like crazy, it's 68° in here I'm sweating! I am going to try taking the 4 a day every day this week and see what happens.

LMAO, Giiiiirl I am so happy to hear this! I have been sweating like im sitting in a sweatbox! LOLOL

• amberly006
    amberly006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just an update, Im 2.5 months in and 27lbs down! Woot! How is everyone doing?!?
  • shenan32
    shenan32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    amberly006 wrote: »
    Just an update, Im 2.5 months in and 27lbs down! Woot! How is everyone doing?!?

Certainly not as good as you! Ha! I started taking it on June 7th and I'm just down a couple of pounds. I haven't gained, but I'm certainly not loosing. :( I'm counting calories and everything. I even do Jiu Jitsu twice a week. What the heck?!
  • jindolove
    jindolove Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, I"m new here, and loving reading all your posts. Today is 1 week of the two drugs in contrave, taken separately, and in different doses than contrave. (Cheaper w/ insurance to do it this way.) So far I am very pleased. Down some, the scale is flipfloping a bit--it actually broke-- but think I'm down between 5-7 lbs. My energy has increased, and the SEs are minimal. I take a homeopathic called nux vomica the second my stomach feels funny, and I've not really experienced and feelings of nausea because of it. Dreams are interesting and pleasant. Overall, I am extremely happy with my results so far. Three questions: Anybody else taking the drugs separately? Any girls out there still feel PMS cravings? Any reports from long term users? Does the effect begin to wear off, or stay constant with long term use? Thanks, and good luck, everybody! Edit... i think I posted this in the wrong place. Oops!
  • GSanc2
    GSanc2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Very interesting that you are not taking Contrave, but the 2 pills that make up Contrave. I'm on day 2 of Contrave. The only side effect I've experienced last night was insomnia. It wasn't too bad, but I had it. Good luck to you!!
  • GSanc2
    GSanc2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Thank you for your response, however I'm only actually looking for people who can answer the question. You've not taken this prescription. I'm looking for people who have.

Look I understand that weight management is hard for a lot. MFP use at 100% can get you to your goal without wasting money on magic pills. Placebo effect I call them. You do not need that crap OP. Use your money on something of better value. A medical issue makes things a little diffcult but not enough to buy magic pills.

Some people, like me, have tried doing it with diet & exercise alone. It gets frustrating. No one wants to be on medication to lose weight, but often times that's the only alternative. Other than my weight, I am very healthy. If I don't lose weight now in my 40's, then I'll be susceptible to all sorts of things, diabetes, high cholesterol, High blood pressure. I'm trying to avoid those things. They may still come, but if they do, it'll be later in life.
  • margybuono
    margybuono Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes...Its a new FDA approved diet pill. Yes..I know its not a magic pill. Have you tried it? Is it taking the "edge" off the hunger and cravings like its supposed to?

Yes, I am currently on Contrave. I haven't had any side effects, and it is not a stimulant based drug. It works on the pleasure center of your brain where dopamine is released. It's geared towards helping people whose relationship with food is more addictive rather than speeding up the metabolism. You need to meet the criteria of BMI, it's not for people who need to lose 10, 15 lbs, it is for people who have a BMI of over 30. I have not been taking it long, but it my craving for sugar is greatly diminished, and I find sweets to be overpowering. Since it isn't like phentermine it won't work if diet and exercise are not being worked on. It is a cocktail of two well established as safe drugs that have been around and have been found that in combination work to reduce feelings of hunger and cravings. There are potentially a lot of side effects, I haven't had any but that doesn't mean you won't. You can't drink alcohol, or take pain meds, because one of the two meds in it is used for treatment of addictions. If you have any questions about my experience on and you don't want to post publicly since asking apparently gets your skewered for not doing exactly what the some other fitnesspal member tells you must do, feel free to privately message me. Good luck to you.
  • susandawson6510
    susandawson6510 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave a week ago, after Wellbutrin on it's own didn't work and trying Qsymia (which made me terribly depressed) and I love it! My only question for everyone who is on it is: who out there is taking it solely at night? I woke up three times last night but went right back to sleep and slept until my alarm actually went off this morning -which was kind of a miracle- last week it was sleep at 11pm and waking up at 5 am with no good rest at all. I have switched my one pill and (and now, two pills starting next week) to nighttime and I think it helps w/ my insomnia that I had when I started and definitely helps with the grogginess that I had during the day. Does anyone else take it at night only now and how has it affected their sleep? I woke up three times last night but went right back to sleep and slept until my alarm actually went off this morning -which was kind of a miracle! Thoughts from anyone out there please? I can't get much info from the doc!
  • mothertucker78
    mothertucker78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on my 3rd week of contrave and so far no side effects but also no weight loss. My question though is this. Has contrave messed up anyone's menstrual cycle? I'm currently 5 days late and I'm pretty regular. There is no possibility of pregnancy so I'm thinking it has to be from the medicine. Anyone else experience this?
  • Jane_smith1920
    Jane_smith1920 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on Contrave. I've experienced an upset stomach so far today and I'm tired, but that is about it. I've heard and read great things about it, so I'm going to try and stick with it and also update on here to see and discuss the experience.
  • idgaboy
    idgaboy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My first posting...April 30th I weighed 283 pounds in my physician's office (not my personal "best" but close). Today I weigh 232.6 pounds. I have lost some 50 pounds in roughly 13 weeks using Contrave. I have no idea why this particular mix of chemicals has worked so well for me (and not as well for others). I think one clue is that I also stopped biting my nails - a behavior I have exhibited since I was a small child. Maybe my overeating (and nail-biting) was part of some sort of compulsive behavior that this combination of drugs has resolved.
  • idgaboy
    idgaboy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    GSanc2 wrote: »
    Very interesting that you are not taking Contrave, but the 2 pills that make up Contrave. I'm on day 2 of Contrave. The only side effect I've experienced last night was insomnia. It wasn't too bad, but I had it. Good luck to you!!
    I started off with the generic bupropion and naltrexone (my physician figured out the dosing) because I believed the availability of a generic alternative would act to keep the prescription Contrave price down. I started off with the two drug cocktail, used it for a month (it worked!) and then switched to Contrave (the cocktail price was about $10 more then the coupon provided by Takeda Pharmaceuticals). And I have to confess that the Scale Down program included with Contrave also helped make my decision to move to Contrave from the generics.
  • crochetpaws
    crochetpaws Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Took my first dose of contrave this morning! Hoping I don't have many side effects and that the pill works for me like it has worked for so many of you!
  • Mommasays22
    Mommasays22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this discussion. I filled my prescription probably 6 weeks ago but stopped taking for awhile bc of extreme fatigue. Started it again and just added my second AM pill and feel terrible. Headache, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. It helps to know that I'm not the only one. I'm going to scale back to 1 AM and 1 PM and hopefully it will help. I have lost 10 pounds and haven't changed much. But I can't eat much either.
  • crochetpaws
    crochetpaws Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    are u eating with the dose?

I noticed that if I eat a fatty meal I feel nauseous after I eat.
    I had a bad headache the first day I took it. Still on my first week tho day 4.
  • ktmbmw
    ktmbmw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Contrave a few months ago, it took a little getting used to but I have lost over 45 pounds so far. It really helped me with my manic eating and now I am able to feel full much sooner since I am eating slower.
  • ktmbmw
    ktmbmw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If anyone is using Scaledown do you know how to change your goal weight?
    I don't think there is a way to change your goal weight; it looks like it is calculated based on your "Survey" data.
    I guess you could adjust (Edit) your Survey and work the system to adjust the goal weight.
    Personally, I turned off the daily notifications; too many reminders.
    but it is a nice scale.
  • peppertine
    peppertine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting my 3rd week of Contrave (2am/1pm). So far, I have not seen much progress, but I am hoping this will change starting with this week and taking 3 pills/day.