Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Started taking Contrave on July 14, 2015. As of today, November 23, 2015 I have lost 55 lbs. 30 lbs in the first 2 months and 25 lbs. in the second 2 months. At first I had some stomach cramping but that went away fairly quickly. I do sweat more, but I don't feel any hotter. No headaches, no nausea. I eat about a quarter of what I used to. I love Contrave. With my Insurance I only have to pay $20 a month for it, but I would still get it even if my insurance didn't cover it and I had to pay full price. My doctor is taking me off of 1 of the 2 blood pressure medications I take and he is lowering my dosage or Metformin.
    I know that I am lucky because I barely had any side effects. But this medication has literally changed my life.
  • vgentieu
    vgentieu Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Did anyone feel sad the first week on it? I'm on day 4 and am impressed with how well it's working with my obsessive thoughts on food and haven't binged or even wanted to binge since I started but I feel so down. Not sure if this will pass in time.

I wonder if I'm feeling down becuaSe food had always been my go to and I need to find something elsE to take its place. I like miss it. I know I sound crazy but food was always my bff.
  • LeighRoss12
    LeighRoss12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just started Contrave a couple of weeks ago..I'm getting ready to start 2 pills in the morning and 1 in the evening. I feel it's definitely helping with the cravings. I've just registered for the Scale Down program....I see the membership is free for the first few months, then you have to pay for the subscription. Anyone know if you decide not to continue with a subscription, do they charge you for the scale? Or is it yours to keep, regardless?
  • Michelleyet
    Michelleyet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on Contrave for a couple weeks but I'm taking it separate Wellbutrin and naltrexone and I am having major joint pain. My back, neck and shoulders are killing me. Anyone else? Even my gums hurt?
  • Michelleyet
    Options
    I saw what you posted and I am feeling some of the same symptoms. I am feeling weak and joint pain. I don't have energy or in to much pain I guess to work out. I am in 3rd week now and hoping this gets better? I like effects of weight loss and I don't want to give up yet but I'm struggling.
  • Michelleyet
    Options
    How do u reply to people lol
  • Michelleyet
    Options
    I'm having severe joint pain anyone else?
  • stretchbigguy
    stretchbigguy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not really a person who does a lot of posting on internet sites---basically none. But because of the incredible experience that I am having with contrave feel the need to let others know of my experience. Here's what I posted on November 3.

I started contrave on October 1--32 days ago. I followed the directions, beginning with one pill for the first week, two pills the second, three pills the third and then didn't feel the need to go to the four pills. Luckily I have experienced no side effects. So far I have lost approximately 14 lbs and have about 50 more to go.

I find it very difficult to explain the way it has changed my attitude towards food other than to say, i'm just not hungry in the ways that I used to be.

I have been very careful in limiting my food intake but don't find it difficult at all unlike previous attempts without it. I was very skeptical going in and still can't quite believe that its working as well as it is.

Since then, 36 days later I have lost another 16 lbs for a total of 30 lbs in 68 days. I am scrupulous about putting all my food into MFP which I think is important as an aid.

Not much to add from my original post other than that it continues to work. If you've struggled with weight loss, and your doctor agrees, give it a shot. From what I've read from others, it seems like a large percentage of users can't deal with it and another group has had a similar experience to mine.

For me, it has been life changing.
  • tyabx6
    tyabx6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 and so far no symptoms at all and down 7lbs. Hope it stays like this
  • jkkasser
    jkkasser Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 37 yrs old and started logging my calories, exercise and weight over 2 years ago. I'd log my calories and exercise and most days I'd binge and blow up my allowed calories. I didn't start losing weight until I started taking contrave. My doctor offered me this diet pill saying it contained wellbutrin and neltrexon and has given people good results with minor side effects in comparison to other weight loss pills. In the last 4 months I've lost 20 lbs and now I'm no longer considered obese. :) Yes, I'm overweight and I can loose many more lbs, but with contrave I can actually stay within my allowed calories. I'm more proactive with self care activities and exercise. I have less negative thinking and emotions. I really haven't ever experienced sustained good emotions like I do now. It is not because I lost 20 lbs, it's because this medication works good for me. I lost the weight because I now feel so much better as a person. I'm so thankful for MyfitnessPal, for my friends and family who joined me in logging, for my doctor who prescribes me contrave and for the community of people I've met at the gym
  • skb1013
    skb1013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started Contrave this week. I'm the type that I can take one pill of anything and it impacts me significantly. So, immediately just taking one pill I felt the effects and was pleased. That night I got a terrible headache and dizziness. Day two I had dizziness and nausea. Today (day 3) I'm throwing up constantly and I don't want to eat anything ever again. When I do, I vomit, and when I force myself to eat some crackers to try and get something in my stomach it makes the nausea worse. Maybe I can just stay on the 1 pill since it's working for me ....

I've tried most of the suggestions - open to any others. #Solidarity
  • rpracing1
    rpracing1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started week two with dose at night. Keep me awake all night. Can I take this right before bedtime so I can sleep?
  • ivy024ruiz
    ivy024ruiz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @skb1013 I also was experiencing horrible nausea and as well as other systems. I was getting motion sick and my eyes were sensitive to the light. I began taking Contrave on Nov. 6,2015 and I did well Week 1 and 2, only mild nausea, but week 3 that happened on Thanksgiving week I was motion sick all week with severe headaches and neck/shoulder pain. At first I thought my headaches were due to sinus pressure but saw an ENT who did a CT Scan and ruled out sinus pressure headaches. He mentioned I was developing migraines and recommend I see a neurologist. My sleep pattern was off where I felt I was not sleeping or at least I didn't feel rested. At work I felt horrible and even requested my doctor prescribe me something for motion sickness. I hoped that the side effects would go away with time but they did not and only seemed to get worst. I stopped Contrave week 4 and was off for 15 days. All my symptoms went away after 3 days that I stopped the medication. I recently decided since it was a costly medication and I even was called to refill which I picked up that I would give it another try. I started it again this Sunday Dec 20th. Started with 1 pill and I am getting the mild nausea here on day 2. My weight has not changed its been stable but I don't think these horrible headaches, nausea, eyes sensitive to light and muscle tension neck/shoulder area is worth it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I do wish this worked for me as I read all the success stories. Just wanted to share my story. I applaud all of you who have lost weight. If anyone has advise as to how to take this medication and not have side effects (in my case-miracle) please share. I was hoping this gave my weight plateau a boost.
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thrilled that this medication exists. If you believe that I can do this long term without this medication, then you do not understand addiction. I am on a journey to long term healthy living. I have been on this since July and have lost 30 pounds. I gave myself leave to not worry about losing weight in the past month or so. Today I started being serious again and am logging my food, exercise and water. I did have a few side effects in the beginning, but none now. I appreciate that I no longer obsess about food. It is refreshing to think about things other than food. If you are on this journey as well - feel free to add me as a friend! I love the motivation of others on the same journey. Happy new year all!
  • jakummerle
    jakummerle Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Glad I found this - just started Contrave after the holidays - on 01/02/2016. No significant side effects but can't say I'm completely not hungry quite yet although I'm not obsessing about what I am going to eat in the next 15-20 minutes and can walk past the work kitchen without grabbing a snack. I had gotten so off track with logging and tracking in MFP for so long (like I deleted the app to avoid the guilt) but am back at it again. Keeping calorie intake at 1200 (have had to just grab glass of milk or handful of nuts to make the 1200 calories) but not starving by any means. I've got a long ways to go but have already dropped 4 lbs in these three days - probably mostly water but hey - I'll take it. Will keep posting progress and following others.
  • buckbrie
    buckbrie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am on qsymia not contrive but for those of you who are having such bad side effects (I was on topirimate alone and had bad side effects) talk to your doctor about belviq and qsymia and there is another that is daily injections. I go to dr Kushner (dr in Chicago) he knows his stuff.
  • allouzion
    allouzion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on Belviq last year (which worked wonders for me!) but my doctor decided to switch me to Contrave... it was awful for me!! I had terrible side effects! Instead of surpressing my appetite, it made me SOOOO hungry. I could not get enough food in me. At the same time, I knew I was full because my stomach would be so tight from eating but I was still hungry. I actually sat at my kitchen table crying from how full my stomach felt because it hurt, but being sooo hungry at the same time. I ate MORE while on Contrave than when I didn't take it. It also had me in some massive mood swings... I would be sooo mad and start laughing then immediately burst into tears...

Needless to say, that backfired on me real good! I just started taking the Belviq again today, hopefully it works for me like it did the first time! My 2 aunts and I lost ~30 lbs each on it.. but I gained half back while on the Contrave :neutral:

Goodluck with what you all try!
  • jakummerle
    Options
    Just checking back in - I see not too many new posts or updates - sorry to see that, but I'm going to keep updating and hope others will follow. So as I said above - started Contrave on 01/02/2016 and am up to 2 pills a day (start 3 pills a day on Saturday) still nothing significant to complain about. I have lost 8.5 lbs. in the 13 days I've been on it and that's without any exercise - just cutting calories, keeping to 1200 calories a day and logging everything - I MEAN EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. This really does help as I can see if at lunch I'm getting too low on remaining calories for dinner and can adjust before eating that cheeseburger or as I did one day - third street taco!! Damn those street tacos!! Back to the Contrave though - I am not going to say that I don't feel hungry occasionally as some people have indicated sometimes due to nausea (I haven't really experienced nausea) but when I do feel hungry I can quickly curb it by drinking some water and having a healthy snack. What I'm not doing is obsessing about food...what I'm going to eat next, what's for dinner, where should I go for lunch, which dessert item to order...etc. That definitely has to be from the Contrave. As for the mood swings - the first couple of days I was on them and there was some issues at home - nothing horrible - just life stuff and I found myself crying and thinking oh no...it's the Contrave. Fortunately, this passed along with the issue that now I can't even recall what the problem was. Heading to sign up at a local gym really close to my house this afternoon and start to get moving in hopes of dropping the weight maybe a little faster but more so to add to my lifestyle change of getting healthy in 2016. Would love to hear some updates - especially from those that have been on Contrave for a few months.
  • kbob246
    kbob246 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started taking contrave around the same time, (dec. 30, 2015) my starting weight was 260 (I'm 5'9", 30 y.o. female). I am already down 14 lbs as of today (Jan 16). I cut out all alcohol, most carbs and only eat around 1200-1500 calories/day. Each day I try to walk at least 2 miles, and I try to do yoga (DDP yoga) every 2-3 days. Honestly I cannot believe I am down to 246 lbs, that just makes me happy! I did sign up for the scale down program, I just received my FREE SCALE (very nice) in the mail yesterday! So make sure you get your free "scale down" scale by searching for a discount pharmacy card for contrave. Anyways, my side effects have been really vivid crazy dreams, minor agitation, sometimes I forget to eat, other times I'm ravenous! Sometimes I don't feel like the medicine is actually "doing" anything, but it's obviously working & I am so relieved! I was terribly concerned this rx wouldn't work for me, but I've been praying and asking the Lord for help to overcome this issue, and thankfully He is my deliverer! I want this success to continue, I will post on here in a few weeks!
  • jakummerle
    Options
    You've done really well kbob - Congrats! Day 17 and down 12 lbs. I was hoping it would be faster but just over 2 weeks and down 12 lbs. --- I'll take it. I know it will slow at times but if I could keep this up I will be to my goal weight (or have lost my goal % body weight in about 6-8 months. I just joined a fitness place as my work insurance covers the cost of membership and that 12 lbs. loss has not included any exercise at all. So starting this evening going to go get on the treadmill for an hour or so and check into Yoga classes too...I love Yoga! Keep posting when you can as it seems like there's not too many that "check in" after starting.

Oh, one thing though - I'm on the 3 pills a day as of Saturday and went out to lunch yesterday afternoon - felt eehhh the rest of the day. Not sure if it's what I ate for lunch (Mongolian BBQ), the pills or perhaps I have a bug as still feeling blah today. Other than this - I've really had none of the drastic side effects some others have reported.