Looking for people who are trying out Contrave? Thoughts? Is it working?

Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    rowlandsw wrote: »

Hate to tell them but wellbutrin doesn't do squat to help with hunger cravings, I take a big enough dose a day i shouldn't want to eat at all lol. Then again it could vary by person too like most drugs.

I was on Welbutrin years ago to help myself quit smoking, and it did kill my appetite, although that wasn't why I was taking it. It made me really agitated and hostile, though, so I stopped the Welbutrin. (I was successful quitting smoking, which is kind of OT here but I thought I'd put it in in case anyone wondered.)

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm not looking for a miracle drug. Food for some is an addiction just like drugs, just like alcohol etc....

No, it's not.

• CrystalQ222
    CrystalQ222 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I'm not looking for a miracle drug. Food for some is an addiction just like drugs, just like alcohol etc....

No, it's not.

Actually it is. When I was 18 I was addicted to drugs so I have experience in saying it is.
  • CrystalQ222
    Options

No, it's not.

It may not be for you which is wonderful, I'm happy for you but it is for a lot of people.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

No, it's not.

well lets see. Is there a physical change in the brain that can be seeing on some sort of scan like with drug addicts? Until then they do not compare
  • CrystalQ222
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

No, it's not.

well lets see. Is there a physical change in the brain that can be seeing on some sort of scan like with drug addicts? Until then they do not compare

That is your opinion, to each their own.....if food wasn't an addiction there would be millions of overweight people.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I started taking it this week. First night I threw up and was up all night dizzy and puking because I started out on 2 a day instead of one. Decided I would give it another try and the next day got a bad headache and felt like throwing up but didn't. 3rd and 4th day I'm fine and side effects are gone. You have to start out slow. 1 pill in the morning none in the evening. Then week 2 , one pill in morning and one in evening. And so on. We will see if it works I guess.
    You continued taking it even though you started out with horrible side effects?
    I'm not looking for a miracle drug. Food for some is an addiction just like drugs, just like alcohol etc....what some people don't understand is yes you can lose weight by being healthy, eating right and exercising. But if you don't get the addiction under control you will always go back to it.
    Nope, food is not an addiction like alcohol, etc. If you were truly addicted to food in the way you describe, you would not be able to eat it at all. ;)

And, no you don't lose weight by being healthy, eating right, and exercising, you lose it be eating at a calorie deficit.
    I lost 50 lbs, no pills all on my own and because I couldn't break the chain of addiction I gained 20 lbs back. After all that hard work, the addiction won again. What Contrave is supposed to do is help fight the addiction part of eating and help you fight cravings. It does NOT burn fat, it does NOT burn extra calories, it is helping with the addiction part of overeating. So to all those saying you just eat healthy you don't need pills, I say it doesn't work like that. Yes you can lose weight by eating healthy and exercising, I know I lost 50 lbs but for some food is a worse addiction than a street drug. It is something that is an everyday thing. You have to eat to survive so food is always shoved in your face....you have to face it everyday, unlike a street drug where you don't have it shoved in your face all the time....so please don't tell people they don't need pills. Everyone is different. That's like telling a person with high blood pressure to not take BP meds, because they can lower it by lowering cholesterol and eating healthy.
    Oh for goodness sake, no. No offense intended, but it sounds to me like Contrave has you hooked with their propaganda. No offense intended again, but your wording above sounds like a victim stance.

The only thing required to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit.

As for food addiction- it's purely psychological. Drug and alcohol addictions are physical.

• Hornsby
    Options

No, it's not.

Actually it is. When I was 18 I was addicted to drugs so I have experience in saying it is.

Actually it isn't. Drug addiction is a physical dependency on a certain drug. Food "addiction" is psychological.

• yopeeps025
    Options

No, it's not.

That is your opinion, to each their own.....if food wasn't an addiction there would be millions of overweight people.

Actually it is science hence it shows up on a medical scan. They know what alcoholism is. Does food addict show up on a brain scan?
  • CrystalQ222
    Options

No, it's not.

Actually it isn't. Drug addiction is a physical dependency on a certain drug. Food "addiction" is psychological.

Psychological and physical are both addictions. Anyways I'm not gonna argue I have my opinion I was giving to OP and you have yours have a good day! :)
  • Hornsby
    Options

No, it's not.

Psychological and physical are both addictions. Anyways I'm not gonna argue I have my opinion I was giving to OP and you have yours have a good day! :)

You said the addictions were the same, not me. I was just pointing out that they aren't anywhere close. I'm not arguing whether you are addicted to food or not. That's a different thread, but to say they are the same is ludicrous. I prefer not to play the victim role, though.
  • CrystalQ222
    Options

No, it's not.

You said the addictions were the same, not me. I was just pointing out that they aren't anywhere close. I'm not arguing whether you are addicted to food or not. That's a different thread, but to say they are the same is ludicrous. I prefer not to play the victim role, though.

Actually yes brain studies have been done and it does show the same dopamine reaction as alcoholism.

In 1993, Wilson reviewed the scientific research on binge eating and found the theory that foods cause physical cravings was “without convincing empirical support.” In l994, Nobel et al at UCLA discovered that some obese adults who were “bingeing on dense carbohydrates” and who were neither alcoholic nor drug addicted had the same D2 dopamine gene marker that distinguished alcoholism and other drug addictions. In the following years, Hoebel et al at Princeton reviewed 251 animal studies designed to mimic human ingestion of sugar and found positive indication of physical craving. More recently, Ahmed’s research in France showed that intense sweetness – not just refined sugar, but also artificial sweeteners – surpasses cocaine as a reward in laboratory animals. Just this year (2009), Leibowitz of Rockefeller University demonstrated that overconsumption of fats can be correlated with brain systems which, when activated, further stimulate the intake of fat. Gold at the University of Florida presented summaries of the brain imaging research at several leading universities showing that “palatable food” created the same types of changes in the dopamine receptors of the human brain as alcohol and other widely recognized addictive substances. And a series of studies by Wang of the Brookhaven Institute now demonstrates that those with severe problems with foods can be triggered simply by viewing pictures of the foods on which they tend most often to binge. At such times, their brains look like they are already experiencing a state of biochemical craving.
  • CrystalQ222
    Options

No, it's not.

Actually yes brain studies have been done and it does show the same dopamine reaction as alcoholism.

In 1993, Wilson reviewed the scientific research on binge eating and found the theory that foods cause physical cravings was “without convincing empirical support.” In l994, Nobel et al at UCLA discovered that some obese adults who were “bingeing on dense carbohydrates” and who were neither alcoholic nor drug addicted had the same D2 dopamine gene marker that distinguished alcoholism and other drug addictions. In the following years, Hoebel et al at Princeton reviewed 251 animal studies designed to mimic human ingestion of sugar and found positive indication of physical craving. More recently, Ahmed’s research in France showed that intense sweetness – not just refined sugar, but also artificial sweeteners – surpasses cocaine as a reward in laboratory animals. Just this year (2009), Leibowitz of Rockefeller University demonstrated that overconsumption of fats can be correlated with brain systems which, when activated, further stimulate the intake of fat. Gold at the University of Florida presented summaries of the brain imaging research at several leading universities showing that “palatable food” created the same types of changes in the dopamine receptors of the human brain as alcohol and other widely recognized addictive substances. And a series of studies by Wang of the Brookhaven Institute now demonstrates that those with severe problems with foods can be triggered simply by viewing pictures of the foods on which they tend most often to binge. At such times, their brains look like they are already experiencing a state of biochemical craving.

In his overview Dr. Gold asserted that “neuro-imaging studies have supported the hypothesis that loss of control over eating and obesity produced changes in the brain which are similar to those produced by drugs of abuse.”
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oh look it's the food addiction / substance abuse argument again

673.gif
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No, it's not.

This is your paraphrasing. Please provide citations to peer reviewed studies showing that (1) food addiction exists and (2) if food addiction does exist, that it is the same type of addiction as to drugs and alcohol.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, it's not.

This is your paraphrasing. Please provide citations to peer reviewed studies showing that (1) food addiction exists and (2) if food addiction does exist, that it is the same type of addiction as to drugs and alcohol.

LOL

• SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, it's not.

LOL
    :smile:
  • sim_moore
    sim_moore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Chances are the Pills were developed in concert with the food industry as a way of trapping you in a vicious cycle.. Eat our food and gain weight.. Take this magic pill and lose it..> Sorry but my faith in the FDA and medical establishment in general is that they are in it for the profit... (you don't know what investors/companies are involved in what these days)

I quit smoking and started a new diet and 6 months later I am down nearly 30KG. No Fad diets just plain old protein, vegies and fruits.. With some wine and goodies in there on occasion... Not much in the way of exercise yet except Eating less, moving more...

The antidepressant features of this pill along with the inhibitor would seem to suggest that it could be effective but perhaps start with a Shrink first and see if they think you require antidepressants before asking your GP (Unless they are really invested in you they are just another drug pusher or clock puncher)...

Sorry been wanting to vent that for a while but my suggestion is try the real approach first, only turn to drugs if you are desperate and have already taken all other avenues first and have the blessings of trained professionals.. You must identify the reason for your weight before you can attack it In my personal non expert humble opinion...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anyone mention that particular medication here. Did you search?