Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Eggs were bad and then they were good and then they were bad....etc etc etc. I've learned to not put faith in any single study. We all know what's good for us intuitively. We don't need a study to understand the simple concept of moderation in all things.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For folks who are considering this article with any seriousness, I urge you to refer to the study linked, rather than just the university press release.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously. Fat has little affect on blood glucose.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well, HERE'S the problem:
    This work was supported by the Dairy Research Institute, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the Egg Nutrition Center.

Follow the money, sheeple! No wonder the findings supported LCHF!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    Eggs were bad and then they were good and then they were bad....etc etc etc. I've learned to not put faith in any single study. We all know what's good for us intuitively. We don't need a study to understand the simple concept of moderation in all things.

+2
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This work was supported by the Dairy Research Institute, the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the Egg Nutrition Center.

Always a concern unfortunately.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Whats proven today will be dis-proven tomorrow... Doctors use to think smoking was good for you....

I'm pretty sure no one ever thought smoking was "good for you," maybe just not "bad for you." Difference.

Actually, Teddy Roosevelt was prescribed cigars as a child because it was thought that it would help cure his asthma (along with drinking coffee and whiskey). It didn't work out so well, but not surprisingly he did much better when he started incorporating vigorous exercise into his life.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Well, those groups certainly have a vested interest in this study having results which would benefit their industries but it doesn't change the fact that eating fat doesn't make one fat and a high carb diet is problematic for those with certain medical markers. There have been other studies which have suggested the same (and no I don't have links to them while I'm at work) in the past and hopefully more coming in the future.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Whats proven today will be dis-proven tomorrow... Doctors use to think smoking was good for you....

I'm pretty sure no one ever thought smoking was "good for you," maybe just not "bad for you." Difference.

Actually, Teddy Roosevelt was prescribed cigars as a child because it was thought that it would help cure his asthma (along with drinking coffee and whiskey). It didn't work out so well, but not surprisingly he did much better when he started incorporating vigorous exercise into his life.

Oh jeez...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Don't forget Atkins foundation
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0113605. Funny how they weren't mentioned in the Competing Interests section.
    Funding: This work was funded by a grant from Dairy Research Institute, The Beef Checkoff, the Egg Nutrition Center, and the Robert C. And Veronica Atkins Foundation. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript. Partial funding for Open Access provided by The Ohio State University Open Access Fund.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm done for. I love carbs.

Me too. It will be a delicious death though.
    fainting-kittens-o.gif
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    for 6 months I have been eating low carb high fat, I have lost 112 pounds...i was type 2 diabetic and taking 49 units of insulin a night and on high blood pressure meds... Doctor says i am no longer diabetic ..i no longer take any insulin...i dont take high blood pressure meds.... I had a hard time grasping the fact that you can eat high fat and have good results but it has worked for me...it doesnt work for everybody..but did for me....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    All the subjects had metabolic syndrome. Is it surprising that increasing carbs was bad for them?
  • auddii
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Guess I'm done for. I love carbs.

Me too. It will be a delicious death though.
    fainting-kittens-o.gif
    This is an awesome gif.

Also, chicken skin should only be consumed if it's crispy. Soggy skin is just sad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    While both diabetes and heart disease can be acquired/increase risk from lifestyle, eating habits, and being very overweight/obese, genetics will play a more significant role.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

The good ole days..lol, They also had women who where uptight and stressed come into the docs office and he would *kitten* them to orgasm once a week to relive the stress.....Off topic but hey cool none the less....lol
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Not sure why Master Bate is blanked out..
  • auddii
    Options
    Not sure why Master Bate is blanked out..

Especially as it now reads completely differently if you replace the asterisks with a more common cuss word...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    because fa4ping isn't allowed here
  • redfisher1974
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    because fa4ping isn't allowed here

Guess I should stop logging the calories burned from that then.... :(