Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What is considered LCHF? When I was logging here, I was always over on fat and under on carbs, but I've never really considered my eating habits high or low anything.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What is considered LCHF? When I was logging here, I was always over on fat and under on carbs, but I've never really considered my eating habits high or low anything.

Depends on how strict you're being. In essence, it's "as few carbs as you can get away with" and then sub fats in for them.

I'm following the 'keto' diet, so I try to keep below 15g per day, but generally end up around 30. Fiber "doesn't count."

I would also ask, is the point to enter ketosis at ALL? Because that affects the answer - if you're just cutting them because of BECAUSE, then maybe under 100 or so?

Alas, I'm a bit of an extremist, might be worth googling.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I follow the 80/15/5 rule of thumb. 80% of my calories (~1400/day) are from fats, 15% from protein and 5% carbs (not to exceed 20g per day NET). As rprussell2004 stated though it depends on how strict you're being. When I coach people on eating this way I typically have them start at 100g carbs per day - just to get used to tracking them. After a week or so we drop to 80g - and stair step down from there. Helps them adjust easier and the detox is not quite as much of a shock to their system. I went straight to 20g per day (Atkins) and I felt like garbage for about 2 weeks - then it tapered off. I was HEAVILY addicted to sugar, carbs and wheat in my diet. It's different for most everyone. Even on bad eating days I never exceed 50g per day.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SCIENCE!

"New research links diabetes, heart disease risk to diet high in carbs, not fat."

I'm gonna do them a few better and quadruple it.

While this was a very small study it does make sense when one considers CARBS are optional for humans unlike Fat and Protein.

I am finding the 80/15/5% that volfan22 uses for Fat/Protein/Carbs is working well for me. It is not crash diet and while the scales are slow to drop in my case I do have muscle is replacing a lot of my body fat already.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »

I follow the 80/15/5 rule of thumb. 80% of my calories (~1400/day) are from fats, 15% from protein and 5% carbs (not to exceed 20g per day NET). As rprussell2004 stated though it depends on how strict you're being. When I coach people on eating this way I typically have them start at 100g carbs per day - just to get used to tracking them. After a week or so we drop to 80g - and stair step down from there. Helps them adjust easier and the detox is not quite as much of a shock to their system. I went straight to 20g per day (Atkins) and I felt like garbage for about 2 weeks - then it tapered off. I was HEAVILY addicted to sugar, carbs and wheat in my diet. It's different for most everyone. Even on bad eating days I never exceed 50g per day.

Uh oh. You used the "D-word". Another word that makes people mental here.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE!

"New research links diabetes, heart disease risk to diet high in carbs, not fat."

I'm gonna do them a few better and quadruple it.

While this was a very small study it does make sense when one considers CARBS are optional for humans unlike Fat and Protein.

I am finding the 80/15/5% that volfan22 uses for Fat/Protein/Carbs is working well for me. It is not crash diet and while the scales are slow to drop in my case I do have muscle is replacing a lot of my body fat already.

How does that work?
  • Justloselb
    Options
    Great news for bacon lovers
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    LolBroScience - my experience with ketogenics has been a reduction of 6% body fat since June 2014 (when I started) - I was at 40% and I'm shrinking my body fat by using it for energy. I work out 2x per week (crossfit) with a trainer and I am building muscles I didn't even know I had. :) I get the impression you're not a fan of this WOE - and that's absolutely fine. It's not for the faint of heart! ;) But it works and it works because reducing (eliminating even) glucose in your blood and replacing it with ketones allows your body to burn your own fat as an energy source (because it will use glucose first if available). I'm sure you're smart enough to know all of this. As someone who has done EVERY diet on the planet to no avail (me) - this one has actually worked for me and is quite easy to stick with. It's now no longer a diet - it's just simply how I eat. I eat real food, pizza, steak, biscuits, etc. I just use different ingredients than the standard "flour/sugar." Oh and bacon? Sweet Jesus - buy stock! My triglycerides went from 245 in April of 2014 to 131 in August (after only 2 months of keto eating.) My total cholesterol went from 293 to 169. I have been carefully monitored by my doctor (who actually recommended this to me after a full thyroidectomy caused me to gain quite a bit of weight) and he is pleased with my progress. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Depends on how strict you're being. In essence, it's "as few carbs as you can get away with" and then sub fats in for them.

I'm following the 'keto' diet, so I try to keep below 15g per day, but generally end up around 30. Fiber "doesn't count."

I would also ask, is the point to enter ketosis at ALL? Because that affects the answer - if you're just cutting them because of BECAUSE, then maybe under 100 or so?

Holy crap! 15g of carbs per day?!? :o No, that is not for me. I can't imagine how I could eat vegetables and keep carbs that low.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    LolBroScience - my experience with ketogenics has been a reduction of 6% body fat since June 2014 (when I started) - I was at 40% and I'm shrinking my body fat by using it for energy. I work out 2x per week (crossfit) with a trainer and I am building muscles I didn't even know I had. :) I get the impression you're not a fan of this WOE - and that's absolutely fine. It's not for the faint of heart! ;) But it works and it works because reducing (eliminating even) glucose in your blood and replacing it with ketones allows your body to burn your own fat as an energy source (because it will use glucose first if available). I'm sure you're smart enough to know all of this. As someone who has done EVERY diet on the planet to no avail (me) - this one has actually worked for me and is quite easy to stick with. It's now no longer a diet - it's just simply how I eat. I eat real food, pizza, steak, biscuits, etc. I just use different ingredients than the standard "flour/sugar." Oh and bacon? Sweet Jesus - buy stock! My triglycerides went from 245 in April of 2014 to 131 in August (after only 2 months of keto eating.) My total cholesterol went from 293 to 169. I have been carefully monitored by my doctor (who actually recommended this to me after a full thyroidectomy caused me to gain quite a bit of weight) and he is pleased with my progress. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Great to hear your health is doing well and great to hear you are reducing body fat.

However, I still think you're mistaken as it relates to "building muscle", so much as you're losing fat and the muscle is now becoming more visible. In order to add additional LBM, you would need to be a caloric surplus (outside of those who are entirely new to training or extremely obese - even in that case, the amount added would not be entirely noticeable).

You are not converting fat to muscle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Holy crap! 15g of carbs per day?!? :o No, that is not for me. I can't imagine how I could eat vegetables and keep carbs that low.

How many do you get from vegetables? I don't get much more than 15. Dairy is the big carb for me. And legumes.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It's quite difficult to find science based diet and nutrition studies with "neutral" funding sources.

exactly. its difficult to find ANY scientific study with neutral funding sources. who is going to shell out money for a study that isn't beneficial?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

How many do you get from vegetables? I don't get much more than 15. Dairy is the big carb for me. And legumes.

Well, I condsider legumes a vegetable, but even without counting them I'm sure I get more than 15g. Many root vegetables have quite a few carbs. One medium sweet potato or a cup of butternut squash has more then 15g. A medium turnip or just one cup of brussel sprouts has more than half that. One cup of cooked kale would be almost half. And I can't think of any fruit I could eat trying to stay that low.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have lost weight with the Atkins diet and even kept it off for over a year. Ultimately I found the diet too restrictive and slowly gained it all back. This time around I just kept track of CICO and have managed to keep the weight off for over two years now. I like the freedom of being to eat anything that fits within my calorie limits. Literally the only thing I count are calories.

For weeks like this one (Thanksgiving) where I know I'm going to overeat on a certain day, I purposefully undereat on the days prior, plus maybe a day or two after if needed. No induction phases or other long strict regimens to follow. And yes, my body fat %, blood sugar levels, cholesterol and blood pressure are all fine. It's amazing how self regulating your body is when you are no longer obese!
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    All the subjects had metabolic syndrome. Is it surprising that increasing carbs was bad for them?

I wonder why they did not do it on individuals with no metabolic syndrome?

Also, they said they changed their diets every three weeks, but I thought it takes four to six to see any appreciable change from dietary or marco changes…

Interesting, but I think the design has some flaws...

the study was about people with metabolic syndrome.. I don't see why that's a problem.

it takes far less than four to six weeks to see change from a diet/macro switch up in some situations. mine included.

most studies will have design flaws. not all variables can always be accounted for..
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    What a load of rot!

The fat you eat is the fat you wear!

is this a joke? as long as youre not eating over your calorie goal, you will not be 'wearing' any fat you eat..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Well, I condsider legumes a vegetable, but even without counting them I'm sure I get more than 15g. Many root vegetables have quite a few carbs. One medium sweet potato or a cup of butternut squash has more then 15g. A medium turnip or just one cup of brussel sprouts has more than half that. One cup of cooked kale would be almost half. And I can't think of any fruit I could eat trying to stay that low.

Keto people talk "net carbs", so they subtract out fiber. It makes veggies much easier to fit in if they are not starchy veggies.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    The insulin/carbohydrate argument is not accurate. Your body has an strong insulin response to protein as well.

And this will become an issue when people pound down the protein the way they do sugar and starch. Happily, this is already on the no-no list because it'll destroy your kidneys.

What are you more likely to snack on several times a day - a supersize coke and bag of chips, or a pound of beef sticks?

What's at the base of the food pyramid and the proposed major component of most meals?

What do they add to "LOW FAT!!!" foods to make them palatable?

Sure, insulin also shuttles protein to its destination - all that means is that a diabetic is extra-screwed when their pancreas goes belly up (hurr).

What I was responding to was your quote:

Eating low-carb (from a physiological sense) also (a) stops excess insulin from keeping leptin from telling you you're full and should, Idunno, maybe STOP EATING NOW, and (b) keeps your blood sugar levels smooth so you don't have spikes and crashes.

My point is that eating low carb does not eliminate an insulin response. If all you ate was fat, only then the insulin would be significantly reduced. Insulin is not the enemy. It has been demonized by many who now have faded into the woodwork.

Type one diabetics do have a tough time of it. While it is much easier to control the BG swings by eating a low carb diet, I fear that they may not be benefiting from the other food components due to the lack of insulin needed to assimilate them.

False. Where are you getting your information?? I eat about 75g of protein, 18g of carbs, and 115 g of fat per day.. I eat more than only fat and my insulin production has been significantly reduced.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    The insulin/carbohydrate argument is not accurate. Your body has an strong insulin response to protein as well.

And this will become an issue when people pound down the protein the way they do sugar and starch. Happily, this is already on the no-no list because it'll destroy your kidneys.

What are you more likely to snack on several times a day - a supersize coke and bag of chips, or a pound of beef sticks?

What's at the base of the food pyramid and the proposed major component of most meals?

What do they add to "LOW FAT!!!" foods to make them palatable?

Sure, insulin also shuttles protein to its destination - all that means is that a diabetic is extra-screwed when their pancreas goes belly up (hurr).

What I was responding to was your quote:

Eating low-carb (from a physiological sense) also (a) stops excess insulin from keeping leptin from telling you you're full and should, Idunno, maybe STOP EATING NOW, and (b) keeps your blood sugar levels smooth so you don't have spikes and crashes.

My point is that eating low carb does not eliminate an insulin response. If all you ate was fat, only then the insulin would be significantly reduced. Insulin is not the enemy. It has been demonized by many who now have faded into the woodwork.

Type one diabetics do have a tough time of it. While it is much easier to control the BG swings by eating a low carb diet, I fear that they may not be benefiting from the other food components due to the lack of insulin needed to assimilate them.

One of the biggest issues I have with most studies and articles (and pretty much every criticism I've come across of low carb) is that they all conflate low carb and low fat. When you stay stuck in the mindset that fat is bad, then reduce carbs on top of that, all you're left with is protein. This is actually very bad for a variety of reasons, and for purposes of insulin and blood sugar control, counterproductive.

Thankfully, low carb does not necessitate high protein (nor should it). A proper low carb diet, especially for insulin control, is low carb, high fat, adequate protein. And yes, that means getting nearly all your calories from fat (a full ketogenic diet can be upwards of 80-90% fat). Generally speaking, the recommendations are only enough protein to maintain or build muscle (generally, around 100g, give or take), enough carbs to get necessary micronutrients that are difficult to obtain from non-plant sources (and to account for glycogen consumption from meats), and the rest from various fats. This setup minimizes the insulin response from food to only what's needed to handle the protein and muscle building/retention needs and the little bit of carbohydrates from non-starchy vegetables and incidental sugars and glycogen.

Also, protein generates an insulin response, yes, but unless you're getting all your protein from whey, that insulin response is a fraction of what it is from starches and sugars. This drastically reduces the amount of insulin in the body at any given time, even after eating.

I've never seen even the most adamant low-carb/keto proponents "demonize" insulin. In my experience, they've all acknowledged that its role is largely for building mass and that when insulin levels are elevated, it prevents the reduction of mass. They acknowledge that this is a double-edged sword -- on the one hand, it helps retain muscle, but on the other, excess insulin hinders fat loss. (It's possible that there have been people who demonize insulin, just as there are people who demonize animal products and fat and just about any other thing. However, the big names in LCHF -- the ones that people who follow this WOE follow and recommend -- do not.)

Also, it's not possible to completely eliminate insulin from the body, short of removing or killing the pancreas. Ketone production is regulated by insulin, as well, and the body can create the sugar it needs even in a diet completely devoid of carbs, and that production is regulated by insulin, as well. This is why ketone production goes down as carb (and to a lesser extent, protein) ingestion goes up, and why ketoacidosis doesn't happen in people who can create sufficient amounts of insulin (ie - the people who go on such diets in order to reduce their insulin levels).

And don't worry, there is still sufficient insulin in the body to assimilate protein (from what I've seen in my T1D friends who are keto, their basal or little bit of bolus insulin is sufficient -- none have reported loss of muscle mass or inability to gain muscle -- though I don't have exact figures to back it up, as to my knowledge, keto for T1D hasn't been studied much, and such specifics even less). A ketogenic diet is actually quite protein-sparing in the long run (there is a period where protein is catabolized, but it's during the transition period, when the body hasn't yet reached its full efficiency at relying on fat metabolism for fuel), in no small part due to using fat for the primary fuel, instead of sugar. Dr. Peter Attia has some awesome charts on his intake, weight, and athletic performance as he transitioned to a ketogenic diet.

<3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Keto people talk "net carbs", so they subtract out fiber. It makes veggies much easier to fit in if they are not starchy veggies.

As I said, this is not the plan for me. But out of curiosity, what would a typical days worth of vegetables look like at 15g net grams of carbohydrates.