Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    White sugar? As in that crystalized stuff you are normally handed if you say "Please pass the sugar"? That stuff is not natural.

Sucrose isn't natural? Weird how it's found in all sorts of fruits

I bought a length of sugar cane from a local grocer, peeled it a bit and gnawed on the end for a while before just pitching it.

It amazes me that someone, sometime, found a field of that stuff, likely did the same thing I did, but decided "HEYYYYYY - sure it tastes like dirty grass NOW, but let's shred it, boil it down and grind up the results and I bet we'll REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD!"

Crazy stuff, man.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    White sugar? As in that crystalized stuff you are normally handed if you say "Please pass the sugar"? That stuff is not natural.

I bought a length of sugar cane from a local grocer, peeled it a bit and gnawed on the end for a while before just pitching it.

It amazes me that someone, sometime, found a field of that stuff, likely did the same thing I did, but decided "HEYYYYYY - sure it tastes like dirty grass NOW, but let's shred it, boil it down and grind up the results and I bet we'll REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD!"

Crazy stuff, man.

there are many things that make me ask myself

"how the fk did some one decide that seems like something I want to try to put in my mouth"
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    volfan22 wrote: »
    Ok - the bullies win - I'm out! Good luck to each of you in whatever you're attempting to do here.

I believe we have MFP bingo …bullies, keto, and high fat superiority oh my!

I'd write to Santa and ask him to get you and your other shirtless brethren a 6-pack of t-shirts since the vast income you get from all your bingo wins is not adequate to the task. But you are all probably on the naughty list already.
  • baconslave
    Options

Crazy stuff, man.

laugh-c107160f171147f3c214bb30e43c803f.gif Homo SAPIENS.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Some interesting myth-busting science on obesity. http://jaymans.wordpress.com/obesity-facts/
  • baconslave
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think her point is that you have to process it to get it in that form (white sugar), but I still don't see how that makes it different (or less "natural") than various forms of processed stevia, which were claimed as "natural" and what I (jokingly) was comparing to sugar.

Or for that matter than any cooked food, which is hardly in a state of nature. Why is it okay to add some dried cherries to rhubarb to sweeten it, but not a bit of sugar?

Indeed, being on a plate seems kind of "unnatural" if you are going to be a purist about it.

Exactly what kinds of "naturalness" are we supposed to care about when it comes to food and on what basis? This is the argument that always comes up re milk and I've never understood it there either.

The problem with stevia, and any other artificial sweetener, is that it's often mixed with a carrier, since it isn't bulky enough in powder form, and has a filler, like maltodextrin or dextrose, which adds carbs to it to the tune of 1g per teaspoon. That's why you want to get the "purer" stuff, not because it was blessed by baby Jesus.

I know you probably know that lemurcat, I'm just clarifying.

People, EVERYTHING is "processed" in one way or another before you eat it.
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I think her point is that you have to process it to get it in that form (white sugar), but I still don't see how that makes it different (or less "natural") than various forms of processed stevia, which were claimed as "natural" and what I (jokingly) was comparing to sugar.

Or for that matter than any cooked food, which is hardly in a state of nature. Why is it okay to add some dried cherries to rhubarb to sweeten it, but not a bit of sugar?

Indeed, being on a plate seems kind of "unnatural" if you are going to be a purist about it.

Exactly what kinds of "naturalness" are we supposed to care about when it comes to food and on what basis? This is the argument that always comes up re milk and I've never understood it there either.

The problem with stevia, and any other artificial sweetener, is that it's often mixed with a carrier, since it isn't bulky enough in powder form, and has a filler, like maltodextrin or dextrose, which adds carbs to it to the tune of 1g per teaspoon. That's why you want to get the "purer" stuff, not because it was blessed by baby Jesus.

Trader joes sells an organic stevia powder that's JUST STEVIA. Like, if you use a tenth of a tablespoon you're overdoing it. No binders at all.

That's what I tend to use in my coffee.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! Truth is like beauty, it is in the eyes of the beholder! There will always be those researchers who bring their on agenda to the forefront to get published. It is your choice chicken skin fat or fat from almonds.
  • baconslave
    Options

Trader joes sells an organic stevia powder that's JUST STEVIA. Like, if you use a tenth of a tablespoon you're overdoing it. No binders at all.

I use a liquid stevia/monkfruit blend. Ordered it from Amazon and it is not bad. Literally one drop is 1 tsp worth. It's lasting pretty well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Yep, I get that reasoning. Was just kind of lightheartedly responding to what was actually said here (a while ago), because the whole "natural" thing always intrigues me, and it apparently got blown out of proportion.

For what it's worth, the version of the "natural" or "unprocessed" argument that amazes me the most--well, other than the anti-milk stuff--is the assertion that one should eat all-natural foods like veggies, fruits, and "lean meats." I have never understood why less lean cuts are less natural, especially when compared to a boneless, skinless whatever. Seems more "natural" to eat the whole animal, fat and all. (Except I typically do cook it.)

As a bacon fan, I figured we might agree on that. Plus, this is the pro fat thread.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! Truth is like beauty, it is in the eyes of the beholder! There will always be those researchers who bring their on agenda to the forefront to get published. It is your choice chicken skin fat or fat from almonds.
    no- truth is not in the of the beholder.

A fact is a fact.

You may prefer something over something else- or have a particular OPINION on a truth- but a truth is a truth... that's kind of what the meaning of the word is. If it's not- then it's not a truth.

I can't even.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Or both
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-products/

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

You're committing the naturalistic fallacy.
    Do you know what else is natural and nicely almond scented? Cyanide.

Also--and I understand it's far more dangerous than cyanide--white sugar!

Crystalized table sugar is found in fruits?? Do tell!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Or both

But only if the chicken skin is crispy. Otherwise it's just nasty...
  • JoRocka
    Options

Or both

almond crusted chicken??
    YES
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That doesn't make it natural. It's surprising to me how few people seem to know the definitoin of the word "natural", yet it's so often used in MFP posts.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that they change their minds every way the wind blows. Foods are either elevated to "superfoods" or demonized. I think it's mostly bullcrap. As long as you're avoiding overprocessed food, you should be fine (unless you have special requirements, like eating specifically for diabetes or whatever.)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

Can you please explain the crystallization process?
  • rprussell2004
    Options

That doesn't make it natural. It's surprising to me how few people seem to know the definitoin of the word "natural", yet it's so often used in MFP posts.

I don't know why you'd even bring up honey in this post. It's not like bee vomit has any place in modern society.

OH WAIT I seem to be responding to something that's NOT the point you made. Just following your lead, there.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Thank you Chris

Can you please explain the crystallization process?

No, I have no idea how it's done. I'll bet Google knows though.