Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    I never said I was converting fat to muscle - I said I'm building muscle and reducing fat. That statement was made in another post.

While in a calorie deficit?

Obviously not natty

Let me try to describe it this way - when I first started working with a trainer - I couldn't do 10 pushups without feeling like I was going to die. I can do 40 now - non-stop before I become depleted. (Not great - but for me that's huge!) I couldn't do ball slams, squats (with weights) or lunges without darn near falling over - I do all of those things now with better control. Are you saying that because of the way I eat that I can't be building muscle? (This being a message board it leaves much to be desired in intent.)

Yes. What you are experiencing are neuromuscular adaptations rather than actual LBM being added. In simple terms... you're becoming stronger through an increase of efficiency recruiting and using those muscle fibers.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I never said I was converting fat to muscle - I said I'm building muscle and reducing fat. That statement was made in another post.

If you consider a 177lb female, who exercises ~4 times per week (not a body builder) and eats ~1400 calories per day (keto breakdown) a deficit. Just because I don't eat a ton of calories doesn't mean I'm not building muscle - where the heck does that even make sense? I'm not bulking up - but I am working muscles I have not really used in a while - and I can physically feel them toning showing. (not just from an "exposure" from the fat - I still have PLENTY of fat.)

Strong evidence to support your claims? Physically feel them toning? Doesn't get much more rigorous and accurate than that

I'm trying really hard to enjoy this conversation and learn something here if you have something to teach. Otherwise I really don't appreciate you just chiming in to be a smart-*kitten*.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Obviously not natty

Let me try to describe it this way - when I first started working with a trainer - I couldn't do 10 pushups without feeling like I was going to die. I can do 40 now - non-stop before I become depleted. (Not great - but for me that's huge!) I couldn't do ball slams, squats (with weights) or lunges without darn near falling over - I do all of those things now with better control. Are you saying that because of the way I eat that I can't be building muscle? (This being a message board it leaves much to be desired in intent.)

You are not building muscle mass. You are working with the mass you already have and are getting stronger. Those are not the same things. You are definitely improving at the exercise, and no one is doubting that. You build muscle by eating in a surplus and following a progressive resistance program.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If you consider a 177lb female, who exercises ~4 times per week (not a body builder) and eats ~1400 calories per day (keto breakdown) a deficit. Just because I don't eat a ton of calories doesn't mean I'm not building muscle - where the heck does that even make sense? I'm not bulking up - but I am working muscles I have not really used in a while - and I can physically feel them toning showing. (not just from an "exposure" from the fat - I still have PLENTY of fat.)

Strong evidence to support your claims? Physically feel them toning? Doesn't get much more rigorous and accurate than that

I'm trying really hard to enjoy this conversation and learn something here if you have something to teach. Otherwise I really don't appreciate you just chiming in to be a smart-*kitten*.

Perhaps you'll learn not to make claims that you can't substantiate if you don't want such comments?

• volfan22
    Options

Obviously not natty

Yes. What you are experiencing are neuromuscular adaptations rather than actual LBM being added. In simple terms... you're becoming stronger through an increase of efficiency recruiting and using those muscle fibers.

So my perception of strength (that I am noticing) is not the muscles getting "bigger" they are just getting stronger? I don't think I necessarily want bigger. But if I do, you're saying I need to increase my caloric intake to make that happen. Wouldn't (and I don't know - I haven't researched this part on ketones) the additional "energy" generated from the ketones pulling energy from body fat be enough to offset? (Assuming I'm increasing my protein intake?) Which I do on workout days (but only by 20g).
  • volfan22
    Options

Perhaps you'll learn not to make claims that you can't substantiate if you don't want such comments?
    Considering I wasn't even talking to you - my comments/conversation were with someone else. But thanks anyway.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Obviously not natty

You probably did build a bit of muscle in the beginning, deficit or not. As has been pointed out above, gaining strength and gaining muscle is not the same thing. Your muscles may also be more visible due to water retention.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Obviously not natty

So my perception of strength (that I am noticing) is not the muscles getting "bigger" they are just getting stronger? I don't think I necessarily want bigger. But if I do, you're saying I need to increase my caloric intake to make that happen. Wouldn't (and I don't know - I haven't researched this part on ketones) the additional "energy" generated from the ketones pulling energy from body fat be enough to offset? (Assuming I'm increasing my protein intake?) Which I do on workout days (but only by 20g).

Yes, for the strength side of things. Coupled with the fact that you have less body fat covering them, and they appear lager and more shapely.

Your caloric intake would need to be larger than your caloric expenditure in order to add LBM.
  • volfan22
    Options

Obviously not natty

Yes, for the strength side of things. Coupled with the fact that you have less body fat covering them, and they appear lager and more shapely.

Your caloric intake would need to be larger than your caloric expenditure in order to add LBM.

OK - thank you. I associated strength with growth. (The whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing - as I went through a spell where I gained.) So theoretically with what you're saying, I can continue to gain strength without growing the muscle (physically). Out of curiosity - how many calories do you eat each day to make muscles bigger? (And I know it depends on the person generally - I'm just asking ballpark figures.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

You need an energy surplus in order to build muscle. If you are in a caloric deficit, you are then not in a surplus. So, you cannot be doing so. It's like trying to drive a car forward and in reverse at the same time.

I listed above:

"In order to add additional LBM, you would need to be a caloric surplus (outside of those who are entirely new to training or extremely obese - even in that case, the amount added would not be entirely noticeable)."

For sake of clarity, you are reducing body fat. Reduction in body fat makes it so muscle will show much more easily, and appear more shapely.

I'm not being mean, I'm just being honest and clarifying misinformation.

LolBroScience you may be honest in the sense that you think you are typing correct facts even when science states you are wrong. Volfan22 gave you an example and you want it to go way with black magic but she is not the only one who builds muscle while loosing body fat. Many of us can go months without the scales dropping because we are consuming some of our own body fat as well as what we eat.

scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options

You need an energy surplus in order to build muscle. If you are in a caloric deficit, you are then not in a surplus. So, you cannot be doing so. It's like trying to drive a car forward and in reverse at the same time.

I listed above:

"In order to add additional LBM, you would need to be a caloric surplus (outside of those who are entirely new to training or extremely obese - even in that case, the amount added would not be entirely noticeable)."

For sake of clarity, you are reducing body fat. Reduction in body fat makes it so muscle will show much more easily, and appear more shapely.

LolBroScience you may be honest in the sense that you think you are typing correct facts even when science states you are wrong. Volfan22 gave you an example and you want it to go way with black magic but she is not the only one who builds muscle while loosing body fat. Many of us can go months without the scales dropping because we are consuming some of our own body fat as well as what we eat.

Gale Hawkins. Do you even lift?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I listed above:

there you go again ...spouting information that defies the laws of physics...

You need surplus energy to build muscle...you can not build something out of nothing...

If you want to lose body fat/weight, then you need to be in an energy deficit.

The processes of building muscle and losing body fat are diametrically opposed to one another. That is like saying you can build a house and tear it down at the same time...

The only "black magic" in this thread is your claim that you can build muscle in a deficit..

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I listed above:

Of course I do because I am alive and mobile. LolBroScience you need to get into the science of weight loss/gain. Building muscle and loosing fat at the same time is not rocket science. Dieting correctly requires the use of one's brain before the use of one's muscles. Read up and let Volfan22 know your post was not fully factual.

• LolBroScience
    Options

I listed above:

Of course I do because I am alive and mobile. LolBroScience you need to get into the science of weight loss/gain. Building muscle and loosing fat at the same time is not rocket science. Dieting correctly requires the use of one's brain before the use of one's muscles. Read up and let Volfan22 know your post was not fully factual.

Interesting.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Could you please provide some pictures and data regarding your transformation? I would like to see how much quality lbm you have added while in a caloric deficit at age 63.
  • volfan22
    Options

I listed above:

Right - that's what I believe to be true also. My weight is creeping down (so slow - like 3-4 lbs per month) - but I'm getting stronger (which is from conditioning, I can agree with that.) I have read that some keto eaters "carb load" on weekends but I'm not a body builder so I don't participate in that.

Why wouldn't (instead of calories - because calories equate to energy) ketones produce enough energy (especially if you have a lot of fat - and I do) from the fat source to allow for muscle growth? I would think you'd have to be in high levels of ketosis - which I am (ketostix show purple daily) for this to be true. (I think I have some research to do!)

• volfan22
    Options
    Could you please provide some pictures and data regarding your transformation? I would like to see how much quality lbm you have added while in a caloric deficit at age 63.

I'm not 63 - so I assume you were talking to Gale! :) But - this is what I am seeing - Far left was take June 7th. Top right was August and the bottom right was September.

q4udzu0qj41b.jpg

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I'm not 63 - so I assume you were talking to Gale! :) But - this is what I am seeing - Far left was take June 7th. Top right was August and the bottom right was September.

q4udzu0qj41b.jpg
    That's in a few months? Jesus.
    Whatever you're doing, keep doing it.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Yes, I was referring to Gale who cannot ever provide any sort of ACTUAL scientific data backing up claims.