"The big fat calorie counting con"

Options

Replies

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want while keeping within everything MFP recommends. I tried to diet in the past and failed every time because I don't like rabbit food, counting calories means I can still have delicious, homemade pizza every week while still losing 2lbs a week (42 total).
  • nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think "calorie counting" is just a basis on how people should eat. The beauty of MFP is its not just calorie counting. Yes, when you open the app or log on to the website, the first thing you see on your profile is your calorie count for the day. However, MFP does not just regulate your calories. It also asks you to keep a limit in the nutrition you take in as well. Carbs, Protein, and Fat are the big ones, but the app will flash if you have eaten over your sugar goal, or fats goal. MFP does a fine job at regulating what people can eat, I use to believe eating a turkey sandwich with Miracle Whip, hunks of turkey, on Sunbeam bread. When that 1 sandwich is ~500+ calories and fat, etc. Now I eat wheat bread, 2.75 oz of turkey with Baby Spring lettuce and that is ~250 calories. Basically, I was eating crap that I thought was not that crappy. Panera! I thought every piece of that food was healthy. One Frontega Chicken with a baguette is almost 800 calories. MFP has really brought to light the food that we are eating is not as healthy as it appears. If that isn't enough to learn that one is eating unhealthy, then I do not know what is.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I wonder how people controlled their weight before calories were invented. I wonder how the animal kingdom does it.

Food scarcity.
    Yes, part of it's that. But a huge part of the world now and in history has had no scarcity and no calorie counting tools and maintains (or they have access to calorie counting tools and don't use them). I'm surrounded by maintainers who don't count calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Counting calories and counting macros are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I think it would be quite difficult. But hey, that's just me and my 40lb weight loss talking, what do I know?
    I don't monitor macros when I count calories, so I don't think it's difficult. Not everyone who calorie counts uses a site that also includes macro data, too. But they're definitely not mutually exclusive and congrats on your success!

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    All these non-calorie-counters sound like Kanye West, "Imma let you finish but not counting calories is the BEST method on this calorie counting site!"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    All these non-calorie-counters sound like Kanye West, "Imma let you finish but not counting calories is the BEST method on this calorie counting site!"

Well TBH this is the first time I've ever actual used a calorie counter. Most of my life I just ate and was active and I was fine but as I got older it became harder and now I think it's the best for me right now. Maybe in a few months once I've become better at portion control again and exercising I won't need it anymore but who knows; at least I know it works and it's there when I need it as a useful tool in my toolbox.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you don't count cals why are you on this site? Just for the awesome forums? (honest question)

Because this is MyfitnessPal, not MyCalorieCountingPal. There are lots of tools here besides the calorie counting app, and there are the forums.

Which is how I personally found MFP. I didn't even know there was a calorie counting app until a week or two after I was lurking the forums and then decided to sign up.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    I think most ( but obviously not all) people on this site lose weight by calorie counting.

But that doesn't make calorie counting the only effective way to lose or maintain weight - people have many different ways to do this.
    - Obviously all of them include creating a calorie deficit( or calorie level if maintaining) but they do not all involve counting calories.
    - Or using MFP at all.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If you don't count cals why are you on this site? Just for the awesome forums? (honest question)

Because this is MyfitnessPal, not MyCalorieCountingPal. There are lots of tools here besides the calorie counting app, and there are the forums.

Which is how I personally found MFP. I didn't even know there was a calorie counting app until a week or two after I was lurking the forums and then decided to sign up.

Don't recall asking you this?
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    "For Dr Lucan and his fellow researcher James DiNicolantonio, rather than simply counting calories to help dieting, we should be looking at the type of food we are eating."

Real ground breaking stuff there! /sarcasm

So OP cites questionable research, has a blank profile with no weight loss (30 pound to go).

Can I hire him to be my trainer?

exercise.png
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

I don't think anyone on this thread is saying calorie counting doesn't work well!

Calorie counting works very well on this diet and fitness site (which happens to have a great calorie counting tool attached to it).

This may blow your mind Fred, but there's more than one way to skin a cat (regardless of how much it weighs)!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Cool story brofessor. May I interest you in some coconut oil for your coffee? For you, a special price of $30/litre. I'll send you my bank details.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    Cool story brofessor. May I interest you in some coconut oil for your coffee? For you, a special price of $30/litre. I'll send you my bank details.

It's definitely not that expensive over here in the UK.

What is expensive is decent fresh fruit!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Actually about anything that makes one "aware" can be helpful. Macros can help one make sure they are counting and getting a balanced diet.

Until I learned to ask "why" dieting terms were just that. After I ask "why am I overweight" then the different systems started to make more sense.

Being obese per the government I learned was not my "problem" but just a symptom of my problem(s). To go on a diet for me is a waste of time IF I do not try to address why I am FAT.

Counting Calories is not a CON but it does ignore the last 40 years of human dieting research. What is dead wrong is for me to turn dieting into a "religion" and close my mind to new data. Just the data from the past 10 years is 1000x more than the prior 100 years.

Calling any diet a CON does not promote good will.

After I asked myself why I am FAT and have been FAT for many years and did some research I decided it was because I had become CARB INTOLERANT. Counting calories was a way to insure I was meeting the expectations of my macro. Learned I was coming up short on Protein for example. Not good when that and and Fat are required for to be health long term. Learning I seemed to be Carb Intolerant meant if I did not want to stay fat I had to cut out the carbs for the most part. Others have require a different Macro.

Diets are not static but one has to be monitoring and tweaking along the way. Once I understood my object was NOT to lose weight for the first several months but to lose body fat that is in all of the wrong places it was a game changer for me.

Some that count calories seem to think they should see the scales readout to start dropping quickly just because they are eating less than they think they are burning. Finally after doing a lot of research I learned that thought is more based on Myth than science.

When I stop gaining muscle that counter balances my Fat lose I now understand I will not lose a pound per the scales and I am now fine with that now. As a male I know I want the belly fat gone. mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/mens-health/in-depth/belly-fat/art-20045685
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I wonder how people controlled their weight before calories were invented. I wonder how the animal kingdom does it.

Food scarcity.

Yeah, all those obese lions surrounded by herds of edible animals.

No, wait......
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Psh. PALEO duh. :smiley:

PALEO!! :) PALEO!! PALEO!! :) Get used to hearing that word as you will be hearing it a lot in the future.

Oh my gosh, I am feeling so deprived as I prepare my roast lamb and vegetables for tonight's dinner. :D Honestly, there is so much food to choose from that I really don't know what the fuss is all about.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Psh. PALEO duh. :smiley:

PALEO!! :) PALEO!! PALEO!! :) Get used to hearing that word as you will be hearing it a lot in the future.

Oh my gosh, I am feeling so deprived as I prepare my roast lamb and vegetables for tonight's dinner. :D Honestly, there is so much food to choose from that I really don't know what the fuss is all about.

Mmmm, I'm having tacos with kidney beans, mango with yogurt, and probably a Tim tam for supper......because, dairy and legumes are good for me ;)

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Perhaps you should recall that:

A. This is a public forum. All are free to respond.
    B. You didn't quote anybody directly when you asked the question.
    C. I'm the one who first stated that I don't count.

How was anybody suppose to read your mind and know who you were addressing?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Food fight!!! :disagree: Seriously though, I'm cool with the fact that lbs. can be conned off of my body by calorie-counting. So far, my body has not caught on to the con!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Perhaps you should recall that:

A. This is a public forum. All are free to respond.
    B. You didn't quote anybody directly when you asked the question.
    C. I'm the one who first stated that I don't count.

How was anybody suppose to read your mind and know who you were addressing?

No need to apologize, Carry on.