Eat Clean??

Options
I am hearing about this new lifestyle choice of 'eating clean'. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is able to help me better understand what this entails. I am also looking for recipies and suggestions of what to eat, how often to eat, when not to eat, how much i should be eating. Someone please help me! also, please feel free to add me as I am looking for more support and motivation during my weight loss journey! :)

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    a lot of people have different opinions on what eating clean means. to me, its using fresh foods, none of the processed stuff that's out there. for example, if your dinner comes from a box or a can, that's not eating clean.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have done the program "Clean" by Dr. Alejandro Junger twice. He's a cardiologist. His specific program is not the way to eat for life, and he makes it a point to set the limit to 3 weeks as a way to sort of "recharge your system." He does explain the "elimination diet," which is clean eating also, with certain restrictions, but is a way you can eat for life. Anyway, I did it twice because it works. Within the first week, the whites of my eyes were whiter. My brain was less foggy. I dropped 4lbs. I have tried doing his cleanse once a year because the results are great. The results last for awhile as you slowly introduce regular food back into the mix.

The reason I don't eat clean for the most part, though, is it's just too expensive. Some vegetables aren't too bad, but have you seen the price of organic meat/dairy?! I guess you can stick to whole foods and boxed/mixed foods with 5 or less ingrediants and forgo the organic part, but what's the point? It's the pesticides that account for the inflammation that clean eating addresses.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Totally pointless. Hit your macros and stay under your calorie goal.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has some good recipe books as well as recipes online.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Within the first week, the whites of my eyes were whiter.

WUT?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    EdibleShower-480x340.jpg

Is this^^^ Eating Clean???

Common food= fuel there is no dirty or clean foods. Hit your Macros and you will be fine.
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    The people who say it doesn't matter are probably referring strictly to weight loss. If you want to be as healthy as you can manage, then it does matter. Processed foods have all kinds of non-nutritive additives that can sabotage your health. The basic idea of eating clean is to use raw ingredients, organic when it's practical to do so, and always know what you are putting in your mouth. It's not a magic bullet for weight loss, but it can help maintain good long-term health, which is why it's a lifestyle choice and not a diet, because there's not much benefit to eating that way short-term.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    EdibleShower-480x340.jpg

Is this^^^ Eating Clean???

Common food= fuel there is no dirty or clean foods. Hit your Macros and you will be fine.

well it could be but I prefer to put my food in the washer on "gentle wash" It makes the meat and veggies more tender...
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

This

Although I do agree calorie quality helps (only a bit, please don't hurt me. haha)
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    For me it just started out with not eating gluten or corn products (a friend-who is not trying to lose weight-swears by it, and told me to try it for two weeks). It's only been about 2 1/2 months, but I have never felt better! By default, because just about everything processed has corn or gluten in it, I stopped eating that stuff. I make just about everything from scratch (when possible), and I do try to stick to the idea that the items you eat should have limited ingredients. I don't eat 100% organic (it is expensive), but I do eat fresh. Again, this is what has worked for me. I have no temptations to overeat since this began (and that is a first for me!). I started out slow, and cut things out a little at a time. I'm not 100% clean, but that's ok with me. It really comes down to what works for you though. For me, doing this has really helped in terms of not wanting or feeling the need to overeat (did I say that already? :tongue: ) Plus I feel more energetic and just healthier in general.

Again, it's really individual. If you feel like it's something you want to try. Give it a shot for a few weeks. If it doesn't work with your lifestyle, then don't do it.

Different strokes for different folks!
  • alicia_jerome
    Options
    Some of you have mentioned "hitting your Macros"? what does that mean? this is a new term to me!
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    Some of you have mentioned "hitting your Macros"? what does that mean? this is a new term to me!

That is referring to getting the proper proportion of macro nutrients i.e. protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Depending on your fitness goals and body, different percentages are appropriate. I personally use a 45% carb - 30% protein - 25% fat distribution.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

WUT?

LOL yeah. My eye-whites were looking a little yellow, like I was jaundiced. But Dr. Junger says that could be a symptom of toxins built up in the system. Maybe he's crazy, but it worked!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

WUT?

LOL yeah. My eye-whites were looking a little yellow, like I was jaundiced. But Dr. Junger says that could be a symptom of toxins built up in the system. Maybe he's crazy, but it worked!

I say this without trying to be mean....but that sounds like utter stuff and nonsense to me.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    To the majority of your shopping in the produce section. Fresh fruits and vegetables if at all possible. Stay away from processed foods such as lunch meat because the sodium kills you. Same with those frozen meals that are "healthy" they have soo much sodium in them. I also use spaghetti squash instead of pasta when I can find it and add some spaghetti sauce, tastes yummy and a lot better for you. No sodas. Go for teas and water (can always add lemon).

I personally go shopping. The minute I get home, I prep my food. I measure out a 1/2 cup of this (say fruit) and put them in 1/2 cup Tupperware (can find this at like Walmart). That way it is already measured, I am more likely to eat healthy. I also do hard boiled eggs, you can eat them on the go, for snack, you can warm them up for breakfast, salads, etc. I can also grab my premeasured food to take to work for healthy snacking. I also cut up lettuce for salads, celery, green peppers, etc.

I also pre-plan meals a week at a time. It makes going to the store easier if I know what I am getting. At night I punch in my calories for the next day. This way I know where I stand with Calories so I am less likely to cheat. If I know it is going to be a bad day ( bday party etc), I try to work out extra!

Unfortunately this past week hasn't been as great for me because I have been busy with selling my house, buying a house, my mom had surgery, I cut my finger, and take care of my fiancé who has worked 14 hour days in the fields.

Hope this helps
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Raccoons wash their food.
    Raccoons are never overweight.
    Therefore, eating clean = normal weight.
  • christinealexis
    Options
    I don't know if what I do is considered "eating clean" but what I can tell you is that I make sure to eat tons for fruit, veggies, and drink tons of water. I basically everything in moderation. It works for me. I have made some changes to my diet to help me but for the most part I eat what I want and I am aware of portions. add me, so you can look at my food diary to get ideas. :) good luck with your journey! :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Thank god for that!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    It means stop eating processed junk food like hamburger helper and all the rest of that chemical laden crap. No, it is not pointless for your overall health and well-being, but you can lose weight without doing it as long as you stay under your calorie limits. You could eat nothing but Velveeta and still lose weight, but would it be good for your body?
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    Alicia the easiest way to look at it is if it doesn't come from a tree, the ground or from a Mom, it's not clean!