Replies

• weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    no... processed... "foods".
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So then, there's not really any clean foods are there? There are just foods broken down, enriched, processed into parts of their whole self, metabolized by the body in their distinct parts as well.

Plutonium is made of atoms.
    So is a hamburger.

Whenever you feel like eating a hamburger, eat plutonium. It's the same thing in the end. And you'll lose weight a lot faster.
  • lsj77
    lsj77 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm 5'9, and 123 pounds and I have been a vegetarian for 7 years and am SO happy that now, people are starting to incorporate a "clean diet." Eating clean is all about cutting out the bad, junky, processed foods in your life and opting for healthy choices. For me, I cut out all meat, with the exception of fish. I love salmon too much to give it up!
    I eat fresh, organic fruits and vegetables and stay away from whites (white flour, white sugar, white rice).
    There is ALWAYS a healthier option and you will feel yourself so much more energized, happy, and clean when you start eating right!! Not to mention your body will be in tip top shape!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I am hearing about this new lifestyle choice of 'eating clean'. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is able to help me better understand what this entails. I am also looking for recipies and suggestions of what to eat, how often to eat, when not to eat, how much i should be eating. Someone please help me! also, please feel free to add me as I am looking for more support and motivation during my weight loss journey! :)

Generally speaking when people talk about eating clean, they're talking about eating natural, whole foods and eliminating processed foods. There are varying degrees of "clean eating"...some people are very strict and only eat whole foods..this means no restaurants, nothing out of a box or whatever...basically everything from scratch, whole foods.

I eat relatively clean...which means I eat a lot of fruit and veg and nuts and berries and...well, a lot of natural, nutrient dense, whole foods. But being 100% "clean" is impractical for me...plus, I like things like ice cream and what not.

The benefit of eating "clean" or "cleaner" is that your caloric intake tends to naturally go down with whole foods. Processed foods tend to have excess added sugar and fat/oil as well which often makes them more calorie dense. When you're preparing your foods from scratch, you control how much oil goes in, etc...also, fruit and veg tend to be a lot less calorie dense than candy, soda, and chips. To boot, you tend to get more actual nutrition when you eat "cleaner."
  • TheDirtyBulker
    Options
    Easy tip to eating clean. Do all of your grocery shopping around the outer aisles of the store and avoid the middle aisles and you will be fine.

Fruit, vegetables, lean meats, fish, nuts, non GMO whole grains, healthy fats (coconut, olive)
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Basically: eating unprocessed foods. If it comes from a box or a package (except maybe rice or oatmeal- and I'm sure there are a few other things), try not to eat it. If you read the list of ingredients for any food and you A. don't recognize certain ingredients, or B. can't pronounce them, it's most likely not clean. Hit the produce aisle first and try to avoid the frozen, packaged, and boxed dinners. That's got **** in it that you just don't need.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Easy tip to eating clean. Do all of your grocery shopping around the outer aisles of the store and avoid the middle aisles and you will be fine.

Fruit, vegetables, lean meats, fish, nuts, non GMO whole grains, healthy fats (coconut, olive)

Does that mean the bakery is ok? It's along the outer wall/perimeter. :bigsmile:
  • Mexxy
    Mexxy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I bought a great book by Tosca Reno, It's called Clean Eating. I highly recommend getting a copy!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Alicia the easiest way to look at it is if it doesn't come from a tree, the ground or from a Mom, it's not clean!

Fortunately, everything meets this definition.
  • Lauraleeburgess
    Lauraleeburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree Tosca Reno has a lot of great clean eating information in her books.

I have cut out all processed food, and Soda's including diet which is so horrible for you anyway. Watch the movie "Hungry for Change." It was life changing for me. Then I followed that one up with "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." You can stream them on Netflix - You won't want to eat junk anymore.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Totally pointless. Hit your macros and stay under your calorie goal.

This is why we are officially the fattest country in the world. Many European countries do not have easy access to processed foods, and it shows in the average weight of their citizens. Sure, you can lose weight by only eating 1400 calories worth of hot pockets a day, but you probably won't feel too good or look the way you want. Clean foods are way better any day of week over processed foods.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The simplest definition is: "Consuming foods as close to their natural state as possible."

Meats of course require butchering, but avoid 'farm-raised' fish, only eat grass-fed beef/lamb etc. and free-range chicken.
    Veggies should be organic, not genetically engineered or dosed in pesticides.

Stay on the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid the aisles. If it can sit on a shelf for months and months you probably do not want to eat it.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Totally pointless. Hit your macros and stay under your calorie goal.

creepy-llama.gif
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Quickest way is to think of it as eating from nature (as best you can) and not from cans or boxes. If it's industrially processed, it's been designed for shelf-life and advertising not for your health. Chances are it has all sorts of added preservatives, fillers, sugars and excess sodium. Stick to the outer aisles of the grocery store where the foods look vaguely similar to food rather than pictures on cardboard.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The simplest definition is: "Consuming foods as close to their natural state as possible."

Stay on the perimeter of the grocery store and avoid the aisles. If it can sit on a shelf for months and months you probably do not want to eat it.

Or bette still, avoid the supermarket!

I get all of my weekly food delivered from an organic food company - a veg box, herbs, meat, fish, eggs, milk, bread, yoghurt, fruit juice, oats, dried fruit, nuts and tea.

I go to the supermarket for cleaning products, toilet paper and a few odd things only.

This evening I had roast cod with basil, sweet red pepper and tomato, grilled asparagus and puy lentils. Look how boring and plain my clean eating diet is...
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Within the first week, the whites of my eyes were whiter.

WUT?

LOL yeah. My eye-whites were looking a little yellow, like I was jaundiced. But Dr. Junger says that could be a symptom of toxins built up in the system. Maybe he's crazy, but it worked!

I say this without trying to be mean....but that sounds like utter stuff and nonsense to me.

Well, give it a chance. You can get the book on Amazon for like $8.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Within the first week, the whites of my eyes were whiter.

WUT?

LOL yeah. My eye-whites were looking a little yellow, like I was jaundiced. But Dr. Junger says that could be a symptom of toxins built up in the system. Maybe he's crazy, but it worked!

I say this without trying to be mean....but that sounds like utter stuff and nonsense to me.

Well, give it a chance. You can get the book on Amazon for like $8.

His 'cleanses' are a complete waste of time. Essentially he's selling a protein shake and a disgestive enzyme for $425!! You could get those things (and at a very GOOD quality too) for about an 8th of that price. Your body does not need to be cleansed, your liver does that very well by itself.

I already eat a diet that is very lacking in 'processed' foods. I dont believe you need a 'doctor' to sell you how to do that...especially one that says you can 'visibly see toxins leaving the body'...thats about as much hokum as hopi candles.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

His 'cleanses' are a complete waste of time. Essentially he's selling a protein shake and a disgestive enzyme for $425!! You could get those things (and at a very GOOD quality too) for about an 8th of that price. Your body does not need to be cleansed, your liver does that very well by itself.

I already eat a diet that is very lacking in 'processed' foods. I dont believe you need a 'doctor' to sell you how to do that...especially one that says you can 'visibly see toxins leaving the body'...thats about as much hokum as hopi candles.
    [/quote]

I never bought the kits he sells. You can do it with fruits and vegetables. But thanks for being open-minded and not hostile at all.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

I never bought the kits he sells. You can do it with fruits and vegetables. But thanks for being open-minded and not hostile at all.

I'm not being 'hostile'. I love how on the internet people become more sensitive to something that, if said in person, would be healthy debate. Personally, I don't believe in the use of cleanses unless you have some sort of medical issue. Your body processes things quite well on its own. There is nothing wrong with reducing processed foods and eating a diet that is varied ad nutrient rich, but you can do it without juicing.

Its not a case of being 'open minded'. I'm open minded about the possibility of a deity, it doesnt mean Im going to join a church.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    To me eating clean is taking the raw ingredient or ingredients and turning it into a meal now that might not necessarily be the accepted way of eating clean I dont know,I make my own breads,casseroles pizzas ect from scratch,all I would use from a tin for example would be tomatos and Im hoping to have a crop of my own soon so I can use fresh,if you look on Allrecipes.com there are millions of ideas!