Eat Clean??

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    To me eating clean is taking the raw ingredient or ingredients and turning it into a meal now that might not necessarily be the accepted way of eating clean I dont know,I make my own breads,casseroles pizzas ect from scratch,all I would use from a tin for example would be tomatos and Im hoping to have a crop of my own soon so I can use fresh,if you look on Allrecipes.com there are millions of ideas!

I think "eating clean" means different things to different people. The fact that you get in your kitchen and make your own food is impressive (no matter what the food is). Too many people don't have a clue what even goes into their food these days! Kudos to you!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member

I never bought the kits he sells. You can do it with fruits and vegetables. But thanks for being open-minded and not hostile at all.

I'm not being 'hostile'. I love how on the internet people become more sensitive to something that, if said in person, would be healthy debate. Personally, I don't believe in the use of cleanses unless you have some sort of medical issue. Your body processes things quite well on its own. There is nothing wrong with reducing processed foods and eating a diet that is varied ad nutrient rich, but you can do it without juicing.

Its not a case of being 'open minded'. I'm open minded about the possibility of a deity, it doesnt mean Im going to join a church.

"Complete waste of time" and "hokum as hopi candles" can come across as hostile when commenting on something someone says worked for them, regardless of it being said on the internet or in person. But anyway, I am the type of dieter who has to conform to a program. Dr. Junger offers a program with his own products as well as one with recipes. I chose the one with recipes. You have the options to juice, make smoothies, and eat solid meals. I chose solid meals and smoothies. I was trying to be helpful and suggest something to check out for someone who's new to clean eating. His program is only part of the book; the rest of it explains the science behind clean eating and the benefits.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    I follow IIFYM. This means ( for me) that theoretically I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits with my protein, fat, and carb macros. However, I can't actually eat a 1000 calorie bag of potato chips like I used to enjoy because then I would end up with too much fat and not enough protein. I end up eating 90% "clean" foods or fruit and veg, whole grains and lean proteins. I also prepare my own foods because this makes it easier for me to meet my macros. In the end it's pretty much the same thing IMO except that I track my calories to make sure I hit my TDEE ( which makes me feel confident ) and it's simpler.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    my idea of clean eating is not processed foods, no white bleached flour items, no fried foods. only fresh veggies and beans. red meat less often for me and i do drink soda with my Crown Royal lol but other than that, i drink water all day and juice sometimes.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Clean eating and IIFWYM are not mutually exclusive.

If I want a burger I can make patties with organic ground beef and use decent artisanal bread and top with no artificial ingredients relish.

There is absolutely no need to eating such poor quality food.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member

If I want a burger I can make patties with organic ground beef and use decent artisanal bread and top with no artificial ingredients relish.

animal rights and grass fed beef aside. There is no difference of organic vs non organic in the human body
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member

animal rights and grass fed beef aside. There is no difference of organic vs non organic in the human body

Apart form ingesting pesticide residues.

But my point still stands - organic or non organic, I prefer my burgers made with fresh meat and my bread made with long fermentation and containing only flour, yeast, water and salt.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Clean eating to me is avoiding as much processed foods as possible.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Within the first week, the whites of my eyes were whiter.

WUT?

LOL yeah. My eye-whites were looking a little yellow, like I was jaundiced. But Dr. Junger says that could be a symptom of toxins built up in the system. Maybe he's crazy, but it worked!

I say this without trying to be mean....but that sounds like utter stuff and nonsense to me.

That is certainly not nonsense!

When toxins in your system build up the whites of your eyes turn yellow. This is the same as when you have Hep A/Jaundice which is when your liver is not functioning fully. If you eat a lot of highly processed food with additives etc you end up with too much junk in your system the organs can't process it all and it builds up.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    This whole eating "clean" thing really bothers me. It sounds like a religion or cult or something. If you say you don't "eat clean" some people look at you like you're a three headed monster. Just stay within your macros and you'll be fine. Who cares if you eat canned soup or something out of a box. If you like it, and it fits with your calorie budget for the day, GO FOR IT!
    Bingo.
  • RebekahR84
    Within the first week, the whites of my eyes were whiter.

WUT?

LOL yeah. My eye-whites were looking a little yellow, like I was jaundiced. But Dr. Junger says that could be a symptom of toxins built up in the system. Maybe he's crazy, but it worked!

I say this without trying to be mean....but that sounds like utter stuff and nonsense to me.

When toxins in your system build up the whites of your eyes turn yellow. This is the same as when you have Hep A/Jaundice which is when your liver is not functioning fully. If you eat a lot of highly processed food with additives etc you end up with too much junk in your system the organs can't process it all and it builds up.

Thank you. You saved me from having to go dig that book out.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    As far as I can tell "Clean" is the new "Natural." It's a buzzword that sounds nice and makes people feel like they're doing something healthy. But the fact that no one can really agree on a definition, or explain exactly what specific dangers they are avoiding is revealing.

If you try to pin them down they mumble something about "processed food" but frankly I don't think most of them know what that means either. Maybe they'll throw in something vague about "toxins" too but be unable to name one or describe what actual harm it causes in a plausible manner.

Look what I'm getting at is that it looks like a complete load of nonsense with no basis or point.

I'd be interested in any evidence that I'm wrong though.
  • lilemc2005
    lilemc2005 Posts: 27 Member
    For me, it is eating as much food as possible that is as pesticide and insecticide free as possible. It's tough (and expensive) to do and you have to take it on "faith" that what is posted as organic truly is. I just believe our bodies aren't meant to process that many contaminants; and if you can do something to reduce how much poison you ingest, it can only help. Now, that doesn't mean I'm giving up my hot and spicy pork rinds, just replacing a majority of non-organic with organic.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Some of it's pseudo science or bro science, but generally we eat small meals over the course of the day under the belief that this will stymie hunger or improve metabolism. I think the research has debunked the second claim, but it is easier to rein in your calories if you get to eat more often - my body at least seems prone to get sluggish if I eat a large meal a few times a day.

For clean eaters, these small meals typically contain a complex carbohydrate and a source of lean protein, coupled with vegetables or fruit. The diet emphasizes healthy minimally processed fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Some scorn sauces and artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and excess sodium. Some scorn whole wheat products but vouch for sprouted grain breads. Many like honey but avoid white sugar. Some cut out grains in the run - up to a competition. They seem to favor many of the fats found in coconut, nuts, fish, and olive oil. Peanut butter is common fare.

A lot of body builders swear by eating clean. Since they are experts at shifting mass (losing weight - gaining muscle) I follow their advice a lot. I am pretty lean (17% - 18% body fat) with an athletic figure at at least some of my results must be credited to good nutrition and minimal "empty" calories. I eat clean where it seems reasonable, but I'm not above sugar free sauces if they improve a dish. Balance is key, and so is enjoying life.

I eat mostly healthy foods but not because they are considered clean, just because I need the high caliber stuff to fuel my workouts. A candy bar could technically fuel my workout but I'd eventually end up deficient in something and over in unhealthy fats and calories. I also beware of excess processing. What is the long - term effect of eating a product that is bulked out with unnecessary sodium, synthesized flavorings and preservatives? Do I really need Walmart to inject my rib eye steak with a watery filler that keeps the inside red, just so it looks better vacuum packed on a shelf for a week and nets them a higher profit per lb? Why can't I just have the darn meat?

Some healthy foods are refined so far from their natural state that they can have a negative effect on the body. For instance corn is good for you, but drinking soft drinks with corn syrup increases your risk for diabetes. Wheat is good for you, but when the healthy part is stripped out and cut with sugar / oil in a baked treat you're left with a pile of nutritionally lacking crap that spikes your taste buds but little else.

Some view clean eating as restrictive but I've not found this to be the case - eating the typical American diet seems less varied. Look at most of the recipe books - white flour, sugar, and butter are the common staples. There's very little fruit and veg, and it's often doused in sugar when its not needed.

I eat mostly clean because I've seen people get awesome results with it. But I don't want to be driven mad by speculative diets - everyone seems to have a different opinion on what to eat - so I usually base my nutrition on the recommendations of Dean Ornish. He's a researcher on heart disease whose opinion I trust. I eat lower fat than the clean eaters, probably around 15 - 25 % daily and none from red meat.
  • RebekahR84
    As far as I can tell "Clean" is the new "Natural." It's a buzzword that sounds nice and makes people feel like they're doing something healthy. But the fact that no one can really agree on a definition, or explain exactly what specific dangers they are avoiding is revealing.

If you try to pin them down they mumble something about "processed food" but frankly I don't think most of them know what that means either. Maybe they'll throw in something vague about "toxins" too but be unable to name one or describe what actual harm it causes in a plausible manner.

Look what I'm getting at is that it looks like a complete load of nonsense with no basis or point.

I'd be interested in any evidence that I'm wrong though.

I was trying to find an actual study, but I'm at work currently, and the computer filters don't make a lot of sense. Anyway, here's an interesting article that defines "Clean Eating" and cites scientific studies to argue for it: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35350889/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/mom-was-right-you-are-what-you-eat/
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    It's frustrating when someone expresses an interest in clean eating, only to be met with a barrage of comments attempting to dissuade that person, branding clean eating 'pointless'.

Yes, from a purely weight-loss perspective its not imperative - you'll still lose weight if you're at a deficit, regardless of whether you're eating chocolate or tomatoes. But in regards to optimum health, surely there is a better case for clean eating than there is for eating processed foods?!

If someone wants to eat clean then just let them be! What is it to you? They're hardly doing something wrong! Just because you personally don't agree with the notion doesn't mean that it isn't the right choice for someone else. Stop being arrogant enough to assume that your opinion is the right one for everyone.

I started off on weight watchers. I would eat whatever I liked, provided it was within my points. This taught me nothing about nutrition - I would frequently save up all my points throughout the day and have a massively unhealthy dinner. The amount of 'free food' I was eating was scary; naturally, you assume if it's free, it's good. Not the case - I could unknowingly eat up to 500cals extra a day! My weight loss was slow and erratic. Anyway, when I started personal training my trainer told me to eat completely clean for a month, to help my body recover I guess, and to get used to eating healthy food. I moaned at first, the transition was difficult for the first few days. But I stuck at it, and I gradually found that I had more energy and felt so much better about myself. I'd been suffering from depression - most days I wouldn't get out of bed until mid-afternoon and then I'd do nothing all day. After only a week of clean eating I found my body would naturally wake itself up at 7am, I didn't feel tired or grumpy, and I actually wanted to exercise! I bought a gym membership, and from then on I can honestly say that the depression is not a huge issue in my life any more. Been clean eating around 90-95% of the time for about 4 months now I think, and I have been losing weight steadily every week.

The definition of 'clean' will differ with everyone, just as the definition of beauty does. Clean, to me, is natural, unprocessed food. Food with only one ingredient listed on the label. I've cut out gluten, starches etc... I don't eat pasta, bread or potatoes (I do eat sweet potatoes though!). I thought I'd miss these foods, but I don't at all. I occasionally have some gluten free pasta after a workout if I fancy it though. I basically eat meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, some dairy that isn't incredibly processed, dark 70% cocoa chocolate and fruit. To a lot of people, some of that won't be 'clean', but it works for my body and I'm going to listen to what my body tells me (it's about time, considering I've been neglecting it for years!). I don't deprive myself if I really want something - I've had gluten free cookies, yogurts, ice cream, cakes... but all in moderation, and they've had no impact on my weight loss.

So I thoroughly believe that clean eating, whilst not compulsory for weight loss, does aid in a feeling of overall well-being, especially if you have no energy. Try it out for a while to see if it's a good option for you! Cook your meals from scratch, stay away from packaged meals etc and see what the results are! You might find it makes no difference, or you might realise it's the best choice for you! :)

(Edit - I also have loads of clean recipes if you'd like any of them!)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Hi there!

I'm 5'9, and 123 pounds and I have been a vegetarian for 7 years and am SO happy that now, people are starting to incorporate a "clean diet." Eating clean is all about cutting out the bad, junky, processed foods in your life and opting for healthy choices. For me, I cut out all meat, with the exception of fish. I love salmon too much to give it up!
    I eat fresh, organic fruits and vegetables and stay away from whites (white flour, white sugar, white rice).
    There is ALWAYS a healthier option and you will feel yourself so much more energized, happy, and clean when you start eating right!! Not to mention your body will be in tip top shape!

Why do you call your self a vegetarian if you are still eating animals? Salmon is not a vegetable. Rediculous.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member

Are you saying eating processed foods causes jaundice?
  • RebekahR84
    She's saying everything adds up, and lowering the burden can sometimes help.
  • RebekahR84
    It's frustrating when someone expresses an interest in clean eating, only to be met with a barrage of comments attempting to dissuade that person, branding clean eating 'pointless'.

Yes, from a purely weight-loss perspective its not imperative - you'll still lose weight if you're at a deficit, regardless of whether you're eating chocolate or tomatoes. But in regards to optimum health, surely there is a better case for clean eating than there is for eating processed foods?!

If someone wants to eat clean then just let them be! What is it to you? They're hardly doing something wrong! Just because you personally don't agree with the notion doesn't mean that it isn't the right choice for someone else. Stop being arrogant enough to assume that your opinion is the right one for everyone.

I started off on weight watchers. I would eat whatever I liked, provided it was within my points. This taught me nothing about nutrition - I would frequently save up all my points throughout the day and have a massively unhealthy dinner. The amount of 'free food' I was eating was scary; naturally, you assume if it's free, it's good. Not the case - I could unknowingly eat up to 500cals extra a day! My weight loss was slow and erratic. Anyway, when I started personal training my trainer told me to eat completely clean for a month, to help my body recover I guess, and to get used to eating healthy food. I moaned at first, the transition was difficult for the first few days. But I stuck at it, and I gradually found that I had more energy and felt so much better about myself. I'd been suffering from depression - most days I wouldn't get out of bed until mid-afternoon and then I'd do nothing all day. After only a week of clean eating I found my body would naturally wake itself up at 7am, I didn't feel tired or grumpy, and I actually wanted to exercise! I bought a gym membership, and from then on I can honestly say that the depression is not a huge issue in my life any more. Been clean eating around 90-95% of the time for about 4 months now I think, and I have been losing weight steadily every week.

The definition of 'clean' will differ with everyone, just as the definition of beauty does. Clean, to me, is natural, unprocessed food. Food with only one ingredient listed on the label. I've cut out gluten, starches etc... I don't eat pasta, bread or potatoes (I do eat sweet potatoes though!). I thought I'd miss these foods, but I don't at all. I occasionally have some gluten free pasta after a workout if I fancy it though. I basically eat meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, some dairy that isn't incredibly processed, dark 70% cocoa chocolate and fruit. To a lot of people, some of that won't be 'clean', but it works for my body and I'm going to listen to what my body tells me (it's about time, considering I've been neglecting it for years!). I don't deprive myself if I really want something - I've had gluten free cookies, yogurts, ice cream, cakes... but all in moderation, and they've had no impact on my weight loss.

So I thoroughly believe that clean eating, whilst not compulsory for weight loss, does aid in a feeling of overall well-being, especially if you have no energy. Try it out for a while to see if it's a good option for you! Cook your meals from scratch, stay away from packaged meals etc and see what the results are! You might find it makes no difference, or you might realise it's the best choice for you! :)

(Edit - I also have loads of clean recipes if you'd like any of them!)

That was a very thoughtfully written argument. Also, could you send me some of those recipes?