IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I see it's already on here...but yes cauliflower rice! I blend it in my food processor and cook it up like fried rice! Much healthier substitution and it reheats well!
  • sisica79
    sisica79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's used in a lot of Paleo recipes. Do a search for "Paleo cauliflower recipes" (without the quotation marks) and you'll find all sorts of neat ways to make it!!
  • jwalling1221
    jwalling1221 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look up cauliflower steaks recipe on food network. Basically soak in coconut milk, coriander, homemade lemon dressing. Made it for thanksgiving and it was a favorite.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm liking cauliflower lately, but getting kinda tired of just steaming it and just throwing on some ICBINB Light. Sometimes I go a little nutty and add some parmesian cheese but...

Anyone know of any healthy, low-cal cauliflower recipes?

You can cook it with rice ( and maybe other veggies) in a pot. First you can separetly boil the cauliflower. Then you can turn on the cooker and put 2-3 table spoons of oil, then after you have washed the raw rice put it in the pot and mix it for 2-3 min with the oil, then add water you can add vegetable broth for taste and some tomato paste, then add the cauliflower and if you want you can add a frozen mix of other veggies. Just remember that you have to check it from time to time and that rice gets ready fast.fcpe125trb7h.jpg
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
  • Kimi0371
    Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cauliflower*

Cauliflower gets a lot of hate on this board, but it's my favorite veggie. I like to coat in a light coat of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and put in the oven

I do this with a lot of different veggies, using minced garlic from a jar. I also like to toss some Parmesian cheese on it when it comes out of the oven. Yum!
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Bake it cut it in half. Rub with i tsp oil sprinkle salt pepper lemon peel nutmeg cumin and any other special spice you like and bake at 375 for 30-40 min until its brown and to your liking
    Or simply use any salad dressing you like i like italian not low fat the real thing on it and bake
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower but yeah the price in the last year has gotten insane with the drought. A great one is to make Tandoori Cauliflower (just make the yogurt marinade for chicken and use a head of cauliflower - cook it on a really hot grill covered or a very hot oven. There used to be a good Indian locally that made them, had a full head every time I went insanely good when done in the proper oven
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    THIS: http://www.gooddinnermom.com/cauliflower-buffalo-bites/

Use the HOT SAUCE not the wing sauce.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My daughter goes to school in New Orleans and worked at Domenica. My first time eating there I ordered roasted cauliflower. It was incredible. My daughter told me they had the recipe online

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-whipped-goat-cheese-51161230.

While it wasn't quite as good as at the restaurant, probably due to the fact that I don't have a wood burning oven, it was really close.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    I love cauliflower but in my market it's been selling for $6.99 a head. I know I can buy frozen but I really prefer the raw so I need to wait till it goes down in price.

I purchase for a club and my latest quote for flats of 12 is $72-$90 depending on head size so 6.99 is a small head or they are losing money. I have stopped eating it at home because of the prices. as production moves from California to South America prices will drop back . The California drought has driven up Fruit and Veg anywhere from 30-70% in the last year (proteins have seen a spike too because of course they need feed which is veg) makes it very hard to make any profit for restaurants because everyone is trying to hold their pricing down.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cauliflower*

Cauliflower gets a lot of hate on this board, but it's my favorite veggie. I like to coat in a light coat of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and put in the oven

Thanks...any subsitutions for olive oil? I've been avoiding it since it has so many calories :(

How about using EVOO in a mister - much less oil used same great taste. I loved roasted cauliflower. I use it as replacement food too - 50/50 cauli/rice with my stirfry for example
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    roasted tossed in buffalo sauce is good too
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The buffalo/hot sauce type is probably my favorite way to eat it. Dipped in some greek yogurt blue cheese, UNNF.

I also fricken love cauliflower soup. And I love it mashed. I've made a cauliflower alfredo before, subbing in pureed cauliflower for the cream and it was bananas good.

No bad way to eat it! When this fricken production shortage ends I'm going to gorge myself. I miss it :(
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if you like spicy this is good- my new favorite way to eat it. Even my hubby who is not a veg fan loves it!
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/spicy-cauliflower-stir-fry/

Spicy Cauliflower Stir-Fry

COOK TIME:
    5 Minutes

INGREDIENTS
    1 whole Head Cauliflower
    2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced
    2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce ( I use less!)
    1 whole Lime (or Sub A Splash Of Rice Wine Vinegar)
    2 whole Green Onions, Sliced
    1 Tablespoon Sriracha, Or Other Hot Sauce
    Lime Wedges For Serving
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Break up the cauliflower into large florets, then, using your hands, break into very small florets.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add the oil, then the cauliflower and garlic. Stir the cauliflower around the pan, allowing it to get very brown in some areas. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn heat to low. Add soy sauce, squeeze in the juice of the lime, and add most of the sliced green onion, reserving the rest for serving. Stir and allow to cook for 1 minute, then squeeze the hot sauce over the cauliflower. Stir until the hot sauce has been incorporated. Add a little more hot sauce if you want a deeper color and flavor.

Serve hot in a bowl. Sprinkle extra sliced green onions on top, and serve with a lime wedge.
  • kathleenbreau
    kathleenbreau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower lover!

Do you like or USED to crave for chicken wing?! You just got served :)
    http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/buffalo-cauliflower/

Don't forget to share any feedback about this recipe cause my colleague and I haven't tried it yet.
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »

I heard this is a fantastic way to cook the cauliflower. I haven't tried it yet, but will shortly!