• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.
    It's not about over eating. It's about not eliminating everything that you love and bringing sprays to dinner. That's just excessively restrictive.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is a thread on here having a contest to see how many calories they can eat on Thanksgiving. My friends and family are the same way, just until you can't move and have to take a nap. How is that not overeating?
    Yup. That thread does exist. And I was one of the participants. Why, because I love food. Because I was once obese and am not fit and have learned self control. Losing self control isn't one deciding to play a game and see if they can eat 6000 calories. Losing self control is eating a lot on thanksgiving then the next day, next week, next month then getting fat again.

And I was more than able to move. Sounds like you a just not mentally strong enough to do whatever er you want. And the fact that you brought your friends and family into thus conversation is pathetic. I'm not understanding this whole holier than everyone else attitude people have around here when it comes to their loved one. You, have ended up here on MFP, chance are you're not perfect. You also weren't sharp enough to understand what the 6000 calorie thread was about so I'm not wasting my time typing back and forth with you.

OK man, calm down. I have never been obese like you so maybe I don't understand the desire to stuff my face like a glutton.

Yup I guess you're right. All of us are just a bunch of gluttonous individuals.

and luckily, some buzzard fan isn't going to judge us for it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    bama6977 wrote: »
    I suggest that "My Fitness Pal" declare there will be no updates of food logs for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!! I mean lock it down, then come back the next day with quotes like "now it's time to pay", "do you know you ate a weeks worth of food yesterday ?", "yesterday is going to kick your *kitten* at the gym today", "you can forget logging for the next week or two". I I tried to log my food for today and the web site almost shut down. B)
    You're joking right?
    Yes, the OP was joking and trying to have a little fun.

• bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I suggest that "My Fitness Pal" declare there will be no updates of food logs for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!! I mean lock it down, then come back the next day with quotes like "now it's time to pay", "do you know you ate a weeks worth of food yesterday ?", "yesterday is going to kick your *kitten* at the gym today", "you can forget logging for the next week or two". I I tried to log my food for today and the web site almost shut down. B)
    You're joking right?

YES, of course I was joking!!! Man sure did not mean to open such a "Storm" over my post. Well at least I burned some calories while I ducked all the arrows and seems many others burned calories by getting all worked up. Let's just all chill now!! :):)

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.
    It's not about over eating. It's about not eliminating everything that you love and bringing sprays to dinner. That's just excessively restrictive.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is a thread on here having a contest to see how many calories they can eat on Thanksgiving. My friends and family are the same way, just until you can't move and have to take a nap. How is that not overeating?
    Yup. That thread does exist. And I was one of the participants. Why, because I love food. Because I was once obese and am not fit and have learned self control. Losing self control isn't one deciding to play a game and see if they can eat 6000 calories. Losing self control is eating a lot on thanksgiving then the next day, next week, next month then getting fat again.

And I was more than able to move. Sounds like you a just not mentally strong enough to do whatever er you want. And the fact that you brought your friends and family into thus conversation is pathetic. I'm not understanding this whole holier than everyone else attitude people have around here when it comes to their loved one. You, have ended up here on MFP, chance are you're not perfect. You also weren't sharp enough to understand what the 6000 calorie thread was about so I'm not wasting my time typing back and forth with you.

OK man, calm down. I have never been obese like you so maybe I don't understand the desire to stuff my face like a glutton.

So basically, MrM's comments sound something like:
    You can eat what you love without eliminating any food item, whether it's 6000 calories or something else, so long as it's not a daily occurrence and you have a healthy relationship with food aka self-control

And your best offense was:
    Associating him with gluttony, after he mentioned possessing awesome self-control

Okay, Snooty McWhine. Your argument totally wins.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're joking right?

YES, of course I was joking!!! Man sure did not mean to open such a "Storm" over my post. Well at least I burned some calories while I ducked all the arrows and seems many others burned calories by getting all worked up. Let's just all chill now!! :):)
    For whatever it's worth, I thought it was a cute idea. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You're joking right?
    Yes, the OP was joking and trying to have a little fun.

Yeah, unfortunately, Sabine has a hard time recognizing jokes, she has flag fits, and it's cute.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

who says 5500 is overeating for me? I enjoyed every damn calorie .and did not have to worry about brining my own fat free turkey gravy ...
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Gentle reminder folks its okay to disagree with an idea, but let's not attack the person expressing it. I don't care how much turkey you have or haven't had, play nice please.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I didn't log yesterday. I'm already prone to depression, so, you know, why ruin the rest of my weekend? Today I will eat lightly and try to get hubby to come to the gym with me in the evening, and I will not step on the scale until next weekend.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    ... just fyi folks my husband is part Cherokee and he likes the holiday. A lot of Native Americans are not on the res, and a lot are of mixed blood as well. I think it's up to each person how they want to handle their holidays. Politically correct guilt tripping has never, ever solved a single problem in this country or elsewhre.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol. I like the implication that all obese people are gluttons. That's pretty cool.
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In order to forgive, you should do something bad first.
    Thinking that overindulging on holidays is something bad isnt healthy.
    I try to always log my food, no matter how much 'bad' I have eaten thru the day.

Everything in moderation, especially moderation :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    lol. I like the implication that all obese people are gluttons. That's pretty cool.

I think the only downer in all the Thankgiving threads so far is this guys inference that if you aren't bringing your own oil spray to a party, you're a glutton.

and here I thought that stopping demonising food and letting go of eating related self hate was a GOOD thing.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options

I am happy with the results for the holiday...

73641431.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I assume this is a joke, but honestly I don't understand the view some have of the holidays. Sure, food is usually more abundant during celebrations, but the celebration shouldn't be about the food, should it?

Many MFP users are fond telling others that they have an unhealthy relationship with food. But holidays meaning you stuff yourself silly seems an unhealthy relationship with food to me, whether you fear it or look forward to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Three days out of the entire year are pretty much meaningless to the whole...I personally don't worry too much about them and don't find that there's anything to "forgive" myself for.

I'm also not one to stuff myself all day long...I usually have a good plate of food and some desert and call it a day. I actually probably end up eating less on a holiday than I do on a normal day when I'm eating a solid 5 meals per day to hit my calorie goals (around 3,000). Usually there's too much chaos on the holidays to fit in all of my other meals...so I eat a good holiday dinner and maybe munch on some appetizers and cocktails...that's about it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Why was this thread bumped?
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There are lots of Americans that do not do Thanksgiving -- hubby and I had a quiet day at home. For us, it was Thursday.
    And forget about Christmas.
    Why would you choose to not celebrate Thanksgiving?
    Off topic, but I live in the US now and don't celebrate T-day because it doesn't have any emotional associations for me. Didn't grow up with it and, aside from enjoying a week off work, it's just not meaningful for me.

I suppose quite a few people are like that, and it tends to get passed down in families too.

On the other hand, I will spend 23 Dec - 7 Jan with my parents and not a single day will be logged in all that time (except maybe for lulz). IMO, your new eating habits won't last if get in the way of you having fun.