Aqua Fitness. Yes. Again

Options
I just came from my first post-broken leg workout doing a bootcamp aqua fitness class. Fantastic. Everyone should do this. Everyone in Europe is doing it, but Americans are stick in the muds - literally.

If you're not famiar with aqua fitness, it's great for men (yeah), women, young, old, arthritis, rehab, hypertension, fat, thin...

I've re-motivated myself to persue teaching Aqua Zumba, which I was preparing to do before breaking my leg, but the instructor said she would also help me find straight aqua fitness work as well. She's the new aqua director at a major place in nyc. And I'm taking the certification exam next weekend. Whoo hoo!

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    That's great. I took a course once. Everyone was friendly. We used some floatation things to help. I am really un co-ordinated and couldn't get the hang of it. If i get the chance I will try again.
  • ishoulda
    ishoulda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I enjoy deep water aerobics. You get out as much as you put in.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Americans are sticks in the mud?

We'll try any diet fad at all if it is presented to us correctly. If someone figured out how to market pure arsenic correctly, I guarantee you millions of people here would drink it for its "health benefits."

From what I know of any fitness having to do with the pool other than strictly swimming, it has a stigma attached to it here that makes it seem like it's only for elderly people. Personally, when I think of people using the pool for aqua aerobics, I envision a few dozen 85 year olds flailing around at 0.01mph trying not to break something.

But, that's just me, and maybe I'm wrong. lol
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    We have an aqua aerobics program at our local fitness center. And yes, unfortunately, there is a perception it's for the elderly. Not only that, I think the youngest person I've ever seen leaving it when I go to do a late swim is probably somewhere around fifty. (Admittedly not much older than me, really)

I'm a lap swimmer, meeself, but I expect if I tried an aquafitness class, I'd be humbled soon enough.:)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    We'll try any diet fad at all if it is presented to us correctly. If someone figured out how to market pure arsenic correctly, I guarantee you millions of people here would drink it for its "health benefits."

It's pure and all natural!

(For those who are into everything being natural or using herbs, I like to point out that arsenic is natural and belladonna is an herb)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

It's pure and all natural!

(For those who are into everything being natural or using herbs, I like to point out that arsenic is natural and belladonna is an herb)

But wait... THERE'S MORE! If you order within the next five seconds, we'll double your order at no extra charge! That's two bottles of pure, natural arsenic for the cost of one! AMAZING!

Operators are standing by.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

From what I know of any fitness having to do with the pool other than strictly swimming, it has a stigma attached to it here that makes it seem like it's only for elderly people. Personally, when I think of people using the pool for aqua aerobics, I envision a few dozen 85 year olds flailing around at 0.01mph trying not to break something.

Boy are you wrong honey--here in Italy I've been doing acquagym for 20 years. I'd challenge you to keep up with me. ;) By the way, there are alot of young women doing it, and they have great bodies. Now and again a male tries----but always gives up after a couple of sessions (one that I know said it was too hard)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    So nice to see a "dialog" on this. ;-) I hope seeing more people participating will make aqua fitness more visible to more people. And less nay-saying or preconceived notions. People say the same things about any group fitness class until they try it.

I started this thread because I didn't see anyone addressing aqua fitness and I hope it will stay active.

I've got 3 more days to study for my certification exam and I'm looking forward to actively be teaching next year.

I taken two classes this week as the first time from my leg fracture and I am really seeing a benefit already. Today, after class, I no longer limped while walking.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that acqua-gym isn't taken seriously in the States. It gives excellent results if done properly. As any other exercise, you have to push yourself. Since starting MFP I've been doing more reps and it shows. For people that can't do high-impact because of joints, injuries or AO it's perfect. I still remember the first time I did it and when I went to get out of the pool, my legs were shaking. I wish you luck with your certification----a good instructor makes all the difference. Once some starlet begins to do acqua-gym it will become a hot exercise. Best. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Umm, that would depend on where in the states: I used to to do deep water aerobics and water aerobics all the time, but gyms with pools are expensive, especially deeper pools.

As for aqua Zumba, I keep hoping that the instructors I have tried were just really, really bad. If they were certified, the certification means NOTHING to me. I love Zumba and I love water sports, but that was just sad :(
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I think that's a common perception. And for good reason: water activities are low-impact, so for many older people that's all they can do. It's also great for many medical conditions and the very obese. But, just as people need to overcome their fear of the gym if they want to lift weights, they should reconsider their stigmas about water aerobics to open up another avenue to get stronger/healthier.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Umm, that would depend on where in the states: I used to to do deep water aerobics and water aerobics all the time, but gyms with pools are expensive, especially deeper pools.

As for aqua Zumba, I keep hoping that the instructors I have tried were just really, really bad. If they were certified, the certification means NOTHING to me. I love Zumba and I love water sports, but that was just sad :(

Absolutely! Many AZ instructors have no water experience, but my trainer was fantastic and I have a long history of swimming and water ballet. I go to one class where the instructor knows about water tempo. I am really bummed about a job I wanted at my gym going to a terrible Zumba instructor (even on land) who just happened to have an AZ license and was already there.

As to expense, I belong to a YMCA and they all have pools and are reasonably priced. Most will give you some financial aid as well because they really want you as a member.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Also, I just want to report. Today after class, I was walking around and I noticed that I am no longer limping on my injured leg.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a good workout. My biggest deterrent so far is that they play crappy music and taking a personal mp3 player into a pool isn't a thing you can do.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    It sounds like a good workout. My biggest deterrent so far is that they play crappy music and taking a personal mp3 player into a pool isn't a thing you can do.

Oh, there's always something.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »

There are waterproof ones. Many at my fitness center wear them both for aquafitness and laps. If you take a class, you are at the mercy of the instructor's choice in music. My instructor has some pretty good playlists though.

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian. Where do we fall in this aqua fitness craze?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Aqua classes are going at the Y all the time. I just swim :(
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Aqua classes are going at the Y all the time. I just swim :(

Swimming is good, but you are missing out. No offense intended.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    parys1 wrote: »
    I'm Canadian. Where do we fall in this aqua fitness craze?

Hardly a craze. I have been taking aquafitness classes since the mid 80's