Aqua Fitness. Yes. Again

Options

Replies

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my Aquafit and Aquazumba classes. The above poster is right- the intensity all depends on how hard you work. Now that I am back on track with my eating and logging my food, I have added a personal trainer and will do the Aqua class after the 30 minute strength sessions.

The Aqua spin looks like fun- wish my gym would add that! Changing things up is the key once the eating is controlled.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    These are some of the most demanding physical workouts I have ever done. Maybe we've cornered the market on the good instructors though ;). I prefer the deep water class. We warm up, work up "the interval ladder," do Tabata (20 seconds at max, 10 seconds recovery, 8 times), back down intervals, arms, abs and stretch. I always imagine I'll head over and swim laps afterward, but I'm used up every time. Yes, I do bring down the average age, and it's almost entirely women, but that's just tough luck for people not trying it. I've tried to get my husband to come and try it with me, but his definition of "workout" and mine differ (although he probably knows he'd get his butt kicked...)

ETA: Jacqueline, are you seriously 67 years old?? You took 20 years off your face. Honestly. You look fantastic. If this is what aquafitness can do, I'm staying with it, lol! Awesome!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hey girlwithcurls2. I have been doing aquafit for a few years with my husband doing laps at the same time.
    Anyway, earlier this year he started asking questions about it and taking more interest, then lo and behold a couple of months ago he switched one of his lap sessions for aquafit!
    I had to laugh ( in a nice way), the next day he was sore all over and said he never realized what a good work out it was.
    He finds it really complements his running and swimming and is now one of the three men in our Friday evening class.
    Happy holidays, h.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The first time I did acqua-gym 20 years ago I could hardly crawl out of the pool after. My legs were all rubbery. After 20 years things are different, but I still couldn't swim laps after acqua-gym. If you give it your all--you're finished. I swim my laps first for 40 min. The other day I couldn't do it since I had an appointment. While I was waiting for my husband upstairs, I watched the acqua-gym class. I was amazed at how coordinated it was. Everyone was moving in sync and it was a joy to see. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch - My friend, who got me the two subbing jobs last week, teaches aqua bootcamp and she has a bunch of guys in her class, which is unusual. And the only reason her class didn't get cancelled at one club was because the guys protested - they didn't pay any attention when the women protested. We've come a long way, not. ;-/
  • 47Jacqueline
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just got hired by 3 health clubs to be a sub for Aqua fitness and Aqua Zumba and have interviews with 2 more next week. Whoo, Whoo!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    As for aqua Zumba, I keep hoping that the instructors I have tried were just really, really bad. If they were certified, the certification means NOTHING to me. I love Zumba and I love water sports, but that was just sad :(

Zumba certification, in general, means nothing. Everybody who takes the class and pays the fee passes. I know someone who has been teaching Zumba for many years who has completely inappropriate body position for Latin dancing. She can't even correctly do a paso Cubano--very basic.

Lots of Americans do water aerobics. Personally, I find it too easy for my fitness level. I prefer to swim laps. I usually swim 3-4 miles a week (backstroke, 30-minute miles) but I have been dealing with a broken hand...really slows down the swimming!

• azulvioleta6
    Options
    I'm American Born, Eurpoean Blood Mutt. That being said: I am also 26, and love swimming. I would actually find it less intimidating being with "older people" in a pool than with girls my own age because usually I'm the "fatty" in the swimsuit. I've never taken an aqua class, but it sounds fun - and new! I recently moved from Wyoming to Oregon, and there is a lot more available here! I know swimming can help you lose weight, and if you injuries or *ahem* bad knees, its a great work out:) I'm hoping to do a class here soon! :)

Oh yes, Oregon is a big swimming state!

There is pretty good public pool access in most cities of any size.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    . I prefer to swim laps. I usually swim 3-4 miles a week (backstroke, 30-minute miles) but I have been dealing with a broken hand...really slows down the swimming!
    Sorry about the hand, it must be really awkward.

I have just learnt to swim after doing aqua for years.
    My favourite stroke, and best, is the backstroke. Does one get as good workout doing just backstroke?

I was thinking, as I haven't got the breathing for front crawl perfected yet, of doing a 3 back/ 1 front split until I build the breathing and stamina for the crawl.

It is important that I get the crawl perfected because I like to snorkel on vacation, otherwise I would probably be happy doing the back for exercise.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack.
    Cheers, h.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    hmm might look into this.. gotta sprained ankle so might wait for that to get a bit better. I did aqua aerobics years ago, it was fun but I was the youngest by about 20 years then !!
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    . I prefer to swim laps. I usually swim 3-4 miles a week (backstroke, 30-minute miles) but I have been dealing with a broken hand...really slows down the swimming!
    Sorry about the hand, it must be really awkward.

I have just learnt to swim after doing aqua for years.
    My favourite stroke, and best, is the backstroke. Does one get as good workout doing just backstroke?

I was thinking, as I haven't got the breathing for front crawl perfected yet, of doing a 3 back/ 1 front split until I build the breathing and stamina for the crawl.

It is important that I get the crawl perfected because I like to snorkel on vacation, otherwise I would probably be happy doing the back for exercise.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack.
    Cheers, h.

Yes, it's a great workout! I mix things up with a bit of crawl and some kickboard...usually one lap out of every ten is something other than backstroke.

I started doing backstroke after having brain surgery. For a long time, I wasn't comfortable putting my face in the water as the pressure bothered me. My breathing was kind of messed up too. I need to start practicing crawl again, as I have lost the fluidity of my stroke and breathing pattern.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    There's definitely a problem with quite a few Aqua Zumba instructors, IMO. I've gone to a few classes where the instructor clearly had never gone near a pool with her playlist and even in the training, people were really surprised at how different it was to work in the water.

I had one Zumba diva dissing me through the whole training until she got in the water and suddenly got that she had a problem. ;-)

I'm probably going to end up replacing one of the AZ instructors I will be subbing with because the Aqua director said the students are really frustrated.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I'm pretty happy to be able to teach both Aqua fitness and Aqua Zumba from a stron water exercise background. It's a growing field definitely for the aging population and people are also starting to realize that it isn't just for those with disabilities. A lot of people in their 40s who are looking for the challenge of strength and cardio training without the long term stress on their joints.

And a strong AZ class is as good as a Zumba Fitness class on land, if not better. (ok, I'm prejudiced) ;-)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    hmm might look into this.. gotta sprained ankle so might wait for that to get a bit better. I did aqua aerobics years ago, it was fun but I was the youngest by about 20 years then !!

My fitness center offers varying levels of intensity, from "gentle activity" all the way up to tabata and boot camps. With a sprained ankle, you could maybe do a deep water class. I did that instead of my normal class when I sprained an ankle, since there is no impact.

• 47Jacqueline
    Options
    @IzzyBooNZ1 I would wait until your doctor clears you for working out. Just to be careful. It's really awful to injure yourself again before you heal by pushing it. I was chafing at the bit with my broken leg last fall.

I did push it by about a week - what I did was to wear a knee brace when I was in the water. I bought an extra one so I could get it wet and I started doing Aqua exercise about a week before I was off crutches.

However, even when he let me walk again, he suggested I not get back on my bike for another month, which I followed. Not because I couldn't bicycle, mostly so I wouldn't be vulnerable to getting in another accident so soon.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like others said, it depends on where in the states. In the Denver area they have tons of classes. Actually thinking of picking one up soon! Seems like fun!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    ]
    Yes, it's a great workout! I mix things up with a bit of crawl and some kickboard...usually one lap out of every ten is something other than backstroke.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.
    Cheers, h.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Whoot! Whoot! I just finished this routine for Aqua Zumba! Hope you enjoy it. o:)

ZUMBA® Competition 2015 | SIGUE MOVIENDO for Aqua Zumba®
    Original Choreography
    http://youtu.be/NkiwdFESb2w
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Interesting seeing the difference between aqua Zumba and aqua fit 47jaqueline. I notice you are an arm person.
    In my aqua fit I have 3 different instructors each week, which I really enjoy because each has a different body part, or intensity preference.

Cheers, h.

• Anjy2be
    Anjy2be Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Our Community pool does water aerobics in the shallow end and one in the deep water classes. They also do have an aqua Zumba class. I've done the deep water and shallow end classes, but I prefer the shallow end class. I get a better workout. With adding exercise to my eating program I've lost 12 pounds in one month.