Aqua Fitness. Yes. Again

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've hurt my knee one to many times in the pool, I rather do something less dangerous for my joints like lifting or running.
  • Rockerbabe131
    Rockerbabe131 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm American Born, Eurpoean Blood Mutt. That being said: I am also 26, and love swimming. I would actually find it less intimidating being with "older people" in a pool than with girls my own age because usually I'm the "fatty" in the swimsuit. I've never taken an aqua class, but it sounds fun - and new! I recently moved from Wyoming to Oregon, and there is a lot more available here! I know swimming can help you lose weight, and if you injuries or *ahem* bad knees, its a great work out:) I'm hoping to do a class here soon! :)
  • Rockerbabe131
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I've hurt my knee one to many times in the pool, I rather do something less dangerous for my joints like lifting or running.

May I inquire as to how you hurt your knees in the pool? Just curious
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I think that was sarcasm.
  • Rockerbabe131
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »

Well, it really wasn't...I mean..I'm a klutz. Thank goodness I moved out of a state where it was icy all winter; I've slipped and fallen several times over the last years onto my big bum. BUT (Haha), I got a visual of my hitting me knee of the side of the pool...and was genuinely wondering how he hurt his knees :P hehe
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »

Well, it really wasn't...I mean..I'm a klutz. Thank goodness I moved out of a state where it was icy all winter; I've slipped and fallen several times over the last years onto my big bum. BUT (Haha), I got a visual of my hitting me knee of the side of the pool...and was genuinely wondering how he hurt his knees :P hehe

I'm a klutz, too :smile: . It was the "less dangerous" part of his post that I had to read a few times to realize he might be joking. Gave me a laugh though. I'm gonna laugh even harder if he's serious (at myself).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    An aquafit participant in Canada here parys1 ( Victoria bc).
    Every pool in our city offers aquafit morning and evening.
    I have been going 3x week for 6 years and it really is a case of you get out of it what you put into it.
    I have enjoyed it for the flexibility it gives me as well as a good cardio work out.
    We are a mixed bunch at our pool any where from 20-80yo. It is a drop in class so it varies quite a lot.

Dreading January when all the New Year Resolution folk flock in to try it out.

I have just started Zumba ( on land) and find the intensity quite similar.
    Cheers, h.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Aqua classes are going at the Y all the time. I just swim :(

Swimming is good, but you are missing out. No offense intended.

I'm going to second this. I swim too, and use entirely different muscles doing acqua-gym. I do 40 min of laps and then 30 min acqua-gym. It's really strength training if done properly and at a fast clip. For me, doing both gives me a satisfying workout. Our instructors are all very good and since we have different ones on rotation, the workout is always different. You can always strap weights on your arms and legs if you want to do more. For those of you on the fence--try it and see. :)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

As to expense, I belong to a YMCA and they all have pools and are reasonably priced. Most will give you some financial aid as well because they really want you as a member.

That depends on where you live, unfortunately. The Y in my area wanted $65 a MONTH! for just me! That's insane! Their response was that they have a program that I can apply for that will take my income into account to make it cheaper, but I'm sorry, I am not giving you my pay stub and tax information just to make your gym something that's more affordable. I found another gym that had all the equipment that I was looking for, the only difference was it's pool isn't as big for $25 a month, no pay stub required.

I've done aqua workouts as well, my issue is that the times that they have classes doesn't sync with my schedule very well. I also don't find it challenging enough for me so I'd rather spend the time I have doing my other workouts. The intensity may be due to the fact that the majority of participants are seniors... we don't have bootcamps or anything in my area.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ask around at different places that have a pool. I used to take the classes at my city pool where you paid a small (about $2) fee per class when you went. The local college also offered a class for non-students where you paid for 2 x a week classes for a 12 week period, then you could sign up for another 12 week course. The fitness center where I go now has a punch card option for non-members where you purchase a card that allows to to take 36 classes for just under $5 a class. The classes are limited to certain group exercises but there are a couple of aquafitness ones included. You have 6 months to use up the card before it expires so you need to go 6 times a month. I bought punch cards twice, then joined because I wanted to start swimming laps also and general pool use was not included.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've done aqua workouts as well, my issue is that the times that they have classes doesn't sync with my schedule very well. I also don't find it challenging enough for me so I'd rather spend the time I have doing my other workouts. The intensity may be due to the fact that the majority of participants are seniors... we don't have bootcamps or anything in my area.

Everyone is different, but my instructors offer variations on the same move so people who want more intensity can do the harder variation and others can do lower intensity. You get out of it what you put into it. I am known in my class as one of the most intense participants.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love seeing this so active and hope more people will be aware of aqua fitness and try it out.

Any activity won't work if someone isn't interested. Any gym is too expensive if someone doesn't want to attend. All information is too private if someone doesn't want to share it.

I was talking to the instructor I have been working with and she said that one of her aqua classes at Equinox that was filled to the max was threatened with being cancelled until four of the guys in the class complained. Before that, the women who complained were ignored. So typical.

My last pre-cert class is tomorrow evening and I'm traveling to PA on Friday. I also got the referral information for aqua PT for my knee at NYU sports medicine center. They have a waiting list so it looks like January before I can participate. And I'm still not limping today. YAY!
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Yesterday I took the AEA training to be certified as an aqua instructor. You can teach aqua without it in this country, but the information is fantastic. I won't hear the results til around Xmas, but I know I passed - just not by how much.

Now I'm going to start building my Aqua Zumba playlist and making a list of available pools.
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Umm, that would depend on where in the states: I used to to do deep water aerobics and water aerobics all the time, but gyms with pools are expensive, especially deeper pools.

As for aqua Zumba, I keep hoping that the instructors I have tried were just really, really bad. If they were certified, the certification means NOTHING to me. I love Zumba and I love water sports, but that was just sad :(

Absolutely! Many AZ instructors have no water experience, but my trainer was fantastic and I have a long history of swimming and water ballet. I go to one class where the instructor knows about water tempo. I am really bummed about a job I wanted at my gym going to a terrible Zumba instructor (even on land) who just happened to have an AZ license and was already there.

Aqua Zumba is not backed by a reputable Aquafit company (at least not here in Canada yet). I have my Group Aqua Fitness certification and employ numerous professionals in the industry and would not go near Aqua Zumba.

Who are you getting your certification with?
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Umm, that would depend on where in the states: I used to to do deep water aerobics and water aerobics all the time, but gyms with pools are expensive, especially deeper pools.

As for aqua Zumba, I keep hoping that the instructors I have tried were just really, really bad. If they were certified, the certification means NOTHING to me. I love Zumba and I love water sports, but that was just sad :(

Absolutely! Many AZ instructors have no water experience, but my trainer was fantastic and I have a long history of swimming and water ballet. I go to one class where the instructor knows about water tempo. I am really bummed about a job I wanted at my gym going to a terrible Zumba instructor (even on land) who just happened to have an AZ license and was already there.

Aqua Zumba is not backed by a reputable Aquafit company (at least not here in Canada yet). I have my Group Aqua Fitness certification and employ numerous professionals in the industry and would not go near Aqua Zumba.

Who are you getting your certification with?

AEA. It's the only recognized aqua fitness org. in the U.S. I don't actually know if it's international or not. You can get related stuff by ACE and AFAA, but they're not primary - just CECs.
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Since you are in NY you should take a look at coming up to Ontario for a few of the CALA specialty courses, they should count towards your CECs (might need to get approval for those, but they are an international company).

http://www.calainc.org/ (her website is a little old fashioned)

Looking at their website AEA seems like they only certify for basic Aqua Fitness. I don't know about the USA but here you need to be very careful who you do your specializations with and what you say you can teach - all liability issues. Only mentioning because their "approved CEC list" seems to have some "backyard pool" sounding individuals, if you know what I mean.

Then again, things are probably different on your side of the border.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I just signed up for an aqua cycling class at Aqua Studio in nyc for 7AM on Tuesday. I hate spin, but this sounds cool.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have a joint disease and they have a lot of play in them from the damage. It surprised me the first time it happened as I was simply trying to walk in the pool near neck deep. I found that running and lifting heavy strengthened the joints substantially so they aren't popping out as much now a days.

• 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Last week, I subbed for an aqua fitness instructor at a private club. I have to say, it's a lot easier to workout in the water than to teach it from land. :smiley:
  • 47Jacqueline
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just signed up for an aqua cycling class at Aqua Studio in nyc for 7AM on Tuesday. I hate spin, but this sounds cool.

This was my first Aqua Spin class 2 weeks ago - I signed up for a second one, but it's pretty pricey.

i2c8xqzxdt7m.jpg