Aqua Fitness. Yes. Again

Options

Replies

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    May 10th I'm going to Miami for training to be certified as an Aqua Pole instructor. I can't wait! B)

What is Aqua Pole??
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    May 10th I'm going to Miami for training to be certified as an Aqua Pole instructor. I can't wait! B)

What is Aqua Pole??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8himHCzt0
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @bregalad5 Wow..I should have known! B)
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It isn't aqua zumba, but I am nearly 100% dependent upon my local YMCA pool for my exercise. As well as general fitness and weight loss, I am bound and determined to walk comfortably on my bad feet and arthritic left knee. There are three elements to my routine, walking, swimming and leg exercises. Over (right now) a 42 minute session, three times a week at the moment, I alternately walk for 75 yards (3 laps in this pool) and swim for 75. In between, I do sets of 20 reps of leg exercises from high knee raises, leg kicks, scissors, circles, etc. Not only does that work the legs, it gives me a chance to get some air. I count on the buoyancy to keep impact down and the water's resistance to work it. At some point, I plan to start using webbed swim gloves I have for more resistance but not right now since I only restarted this on April 2nd when I retired. On days when I don't go to the Y I try to exercise to a lesser extent using a resistance band and my treadmill. I just turned 60 and retired. I have time for this now. I have to get this right. I have no more room for excuses anymore.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    youtube has great deep water exercises, that are incredibly hard. Try them. See for yourself. Just try a cross country leg and arm swings with your arms under water holding double foam bar bells, fast pace, for 30 min and tell me it's easy.
    You burn an incredible amount of calories, feel great when you get out and don't hurt yourself like hard impact exercises. It's the bomb. I have dropped 30 pounds in 3 months
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, at the beginning of a class, I tell my students how many calories they can expect to burn in a class, based on my having worn an HRM when I practiced the routine I'm giving them. Some people are happy just to be moving, but there are others who don't realize how much work the class takes and are very interested to know what kind of results they will get.
  • susyndragness
    susyndragness Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm American Born, Eurpoean Blood Mutt. That being said: I am also 26, and love swimming. I would actually find it less intimidating being with "older people" in a pool than with girls my own age because usually I'm the "fatty" in the swimsuit. I've never taken an aqua class, but it sounds fun - and new! I recently moved from Wyoming to Oregon, and there is a lot more available here! I know swimming can help you lose weight, and if you injuries or *ahem* bad knees, its a great work out:) I'm hoping to do a class here soon! :)

I lived in cottage Grove ore great theaputic pool even had watsu was absolutely wonderful. I so so miss it....Boo hoo
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    what is an HRM
  • 47Jacqueline
    edited April 2015
    Options
    vschwgrt1 wrote: »
    what is an HRM

HRM: Heart Rate Monitor. Traditionally a watch that pairs with a chest strap to log how many calories you burn during a cardio activity by tracking your heart rate.

The one I have is made by Polar (they have an activity tracker, but I am off those things right now). Mine is the model FT7, which is overkill for me. There's a less complicated one called an FT4.

• 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Woo woo! I just got asked to take over two new Aqua fitness classes. That will get me up to three a week. My goal has been six by the end of this year and it's not even June yet. Yay!
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Last night I subbed for an Aqua fit class of people with Arthritis. I felt like I was hardly having them do anything, but the students commented that they really liked my class. It's so rewarding to be able to contribute to people's wellbeing in this way. <3:)<3
  • CoolCatWV
    CoolCatWV Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just took my first water aerobics class! It was a blast! I think I will really tone up if I do this three times a week for even a month.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    CoolCatWV wrote: »
    I just took my first water aerobics class! It was a blast! I think I will really tone up if I do this three times a week for even a month.

Absolutely!
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I'm leaving today for Miami to train and get certified as an Aqua Pole instructor tomorrow.

Then on Monday I'm flying to Tampa for the annual International Aquatic Fitness Conference. Five days of water fitness classes starting at 8:30am and going until 5:30! My first class is an Aqua Zumba Master Class and my last is about working with special populations (chronic illnesses, aging, pregnancy, etc.).

Stay tuned. I'll post pictures when I get back.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of aquarobics when I lived in NZ - I prefer deep water, but my Dutch centre only offers in the undeep water. Oh well better than than nothing.
    My NZ class was mainly young people, my Dutch class a mix. As for men ... Wel in NZ the Auckland Blues Rugby team would frequent our gym (only for the pool) and did their own aquarobics there on occasion. Was quite nice to be in the aerobis studio or cafe with the glass wall overlooking the pool then :-)
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    AquaPole certification training; Sunday, May 10, 2015

k25hvs8wshyl.jpg
    aqkx9skga43m.jpg
    3qmt01xu9h6u.jpg
    5c4ue8paachn.jpg
    hf81q2q9ecxu.jpg
    jgvs80p1xhaq.jpg
    6ttamya9inp0.jpg
    ht5hho9167uo.jpg

• 47Jacqueline
    Options
    Just returned from five days at an aquatic fitness conference near Tampa.

kommx1q7ft3f.jpg
    yvfe8hf9lsi6.jpg
    55rbdut46gpg.jpg
    bfxmgi7xaxr1.jpg
    pyb3sykwf7xf.jpg
    181iz7q0xw40.jpg
    246o3cj4yu1b.jpg
    yap9n30o4alt.jpg
    3xdouoxx16ha.jpg
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    In September, a the driver of a car failed to look both ways while crossing a bike path and crashed into me. I sustained numerous injuries and finally, almost 2 months later, I will be starting aquatic physical therapy for my hip injury at the Hospital for Special Services.

Interestingly, my orthopedist was unaware of this specialty (why am I surprised?).

My first session is Tuesday morning. I'm looking forward to reducing the pain I've been in for the pat two months.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!, used to teach it back in the day! FUN!
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I'm all healed and back to teaching. This was my therapy pool for the past five months.

https://youtu.be/qPo_z6z8h8I