How do you find the time for exercise?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Speaking personally, things like the tv, computer, and phone are the biggest distractions. I have to have a phone and I do like to watch the news, but I don't even own a computer anymore. When you learn to unplug, turn the tv off, and refuse to answer the phone, you will find a wealth of time in your day that you didn't know you had. Those things are not as important as they might seem.

Dig it!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I workout over my lunch hour, and go to the gym after I get my 3 kids to bed.

You just need to make time.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I am so NOT a morning person to be able to get up early and work out.
    That's just an excuse.

By this time I'm exhausted
    Another excuse.

not to mention our apartment is so couped up that I have to shift around a couch and chair to make room to workout
    Yet another excuse.

You'll make time if it's truly important to you. And if it's not, you won't.

Everyone has different priorities. If your priorities are sleep and poker, then that's fine... but own your priorities... don't whine about not having enough time. No one has enough time to do EVERYTHING they want to do, so we make time to do what's more important and sacrifice what isn't.

You need to decide what's more important, then own that decision.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say... You make excuses when you don't truly want something. If your really want something you won't FIND the time, you will MAKE the time.

• I feel ya, I struggle with this also. I just have made it a habit over the years. I can't exercise early in the morning due to a heart condition so I break it up over the day. 40 mins walking at lunch, then a 30-40 minute jog after work OR today, I plan on spinning for 45 mins before dinner.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I don't find the time, I make the time to exercise. I get up at 4:40am and I'm at the gym by 5am (ish) for an hour work out before work
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Maybe you'll be more of a morning person if you go to bed earlier. Do you really need to stay up til 12-1am playing poker?

Do research for cheaper gym options, but only if you think you'll actually go. Otherwise it will be a waste. I go to a gym that is $10/month. There are many for that price, or just slightly above (15 to 20).

Even better is to do some things for free. You don't necessarily need equipment. fitnessblender.com and youtube have plenty of videos.

You can lose weight just by calorie counting alone, anyway. What exactly are you making for dinner?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    “Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresea, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” – Life’s Little Instruction Book
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Either you want it or you don't. If you want it bad enough, you'll stop making excuses and just do it.

I get up at 4:45 to work out because I prefer to spend time with my husband in the evenings instead of working out after being at the office all day. "I'm not a morning person" is a sorry excuse. I turned myself into a morning person because I wanted it bad enough. These days I'm usually awake before my alarm goes off.

Force yourself to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Simple fix.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i start training clients at 5 am. i work til noon. i come home... clean the house... laundry... then take a lil snooze. the reason i take a lil snooze is cuz im out running at 2 45 in the am. i wasnt always like this, but now i am a morning person. you CAN learn to adapt to mornings. you just have to stop making the excuses and do it!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    thx for the feedback all, true it's a must make time as opposed to find time....I get that but guess I just don't make the time and not really any point in listing anything else of excuses although many of the things mentioned currently arn't applicable to be doable (-40 degree weather being one, 120$+ gym membership another, it's just me the spouse hasn't gotton on board with the changes (which involves having to often cook two different meals), I do walk with the dog but i can't exactly keep walking when he stops to take a leak or other business and probably can't do a squat in about 4 layers of clothing).

Anyhow, all excuses I know.......obviously trying to get myself to stop making them and make time in my daily life for exercise but it's not easy regardless of the situation. It's easy for someone currently in a routine, and have made excercise a habbit to say you have to make the time than it is someone who isn't doing it to actually make the time.

I have made lots of changes to my eating for my health and am doing quite well, just trying to find ways to motivate myself to make time for working out without feeling like I'm giving up on ever having free time to relax and take care of some other things that I do like the forum stuff I mentioned and fact that I run poker stakes (ie. I play, they pay, profits split etc) which is as much a commitment as a part-time job.

Cheers to all, I hope someday I will get the committment to working out and find the motivation somewhere....certainly wasn't from this (i know its constructive criticism and I respect that but definitely not a motivation when mainly just everyone saying you just have to make the time..... like everything its easier said than done unless your already doing it).

I kind of feel like you asked for help and then gave up because you didn't like the answer that the only way to make time for exercise is to just do it and you've given up before you even started. Why ask for help? I think it really is just about revving yourself up and telling yourself "just do it". Get yourself pumped. Don't just give up so easily. None of the great things in life come easily.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You can always make time. Typical workday wake up at 4:30, am at work by 5, work til 2:30 in the afternoon, get my hour and a half of gym time in, shower at the gym, go directly to class, study for an hour once I get home and and im bed by 11. On days I consult at my second job I get up earlier and do my workout before work and get to work early to add another 2 and a half hours in the afternoon to do my part time job.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I work a full time job and have two kids (hubby is only home on weekends), so I had to stop making excuses and make time. I have started using 20 min of my hour lunch to walk. I also determined that there was no way I was going to be able to work out with my kids, so at the suggestion of someone on here, I incorporated my kids into the workout. We have a "dance party" several nights a week. I put on music and we dance as crazy and fast as we can for at least 20 minutes. I have an 8 month old and I hold her when I am doing it and lift her up. Her and my 4 year old son, giggle and laugh so hard. My son actually asks to do it. I just made time, because I wanted to be a better version of me, not only for myself, but for my family. We also do walks at night, but due to the time change, we don't now.

I agree with others, you sound like you are making a lot of excuses. :(
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep is also working against you: http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2014/12/01/skipping-sleep-is-career-suicide/2/
    I find that I need to get my exercise right after work, if I head home and get into the evening routine, it is harder to break free and do it. Go to bed earlier.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have five kids, a dog, a job, and a household to run (single mom) and still manage. I run, I hit the gym ($20.00 a month Planet Fitness--I can take one of my daughters with me for free if I go in the evenings), do home workout videos, or do a 10 minute Tabata type workout--whatever fits on any given day. When I was stuck at the hospital with my daughter after her surgery, I'd walk the halls, do the stairs, etc.

I never used to be a morning person either, but doing it daily has made it easier. I wake up at 6 AM to start the day, make breakfast, drive kids to school, get in a workout, go to work, pick kids up, make dinner, etc.

Like anything--if you want it badly enough, you'll find a way.

As for the pain-when I start a new routine (Like 30 day shred), I usually live on ibuprofen for the first few days. Worth it. Small price to pay.

btw: My desktop for my computer simply says, "You'll get a lot more compliments for working out than you will for sleeping in." TRUTH!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    thx for the feedback all, true it's a must make time as opposed to find time....I get that but guess I just don't make the time and not really any point in listing anything else of excuses although many of the things mentioned currently arn't applicable to be doable (-40 degree weather being one, 120$+ gym membership another, it's just me the spouse hasn't gotton on board with the changes (which involves having to often cook two different meals), I do walk with the dog but i can't exactly keep walking when he stops to take a leak or other business and probably can't do a squat in about 4 layers of clothing).

Anyhow, all excuses I know.......obviously trying to get myself to stop making them and make time in my daily life for exercise but it's not easy regardless of the situation. It's easy for someone currently in a routine, and have made excercise a habbit to say you have to make the time than it is someone who isn't doing it to actually make the time.

I have made lots of changes to my eating for my health and am doing quite well, just trying to find ways to motivate myself to make time for working out without feeling like I'm giving up on ever having free time to relax and take care of some other things that I do like the forum stuff I mentioned and fact that I run poker stakes (ie. I play, they pay, profits split etc) which is as much a commitment as a part-time job.

Cheers to all, I hope someday I will get the committment to working out and find the motivation somewhere....certainly wasn't from this (i know its constructive criticism and I respect that but definitely not a motivation when mainly just everyone saying you just have to make the time..... like everything its easier said than done unless your already doing it).

OP, not sure if you're still around/following this thread, but...

You're right. It is easier for us to sit here and tell you what you should do than it is for you to actually do it. No doubt about that.

But, realize that most of us have been in very similar situations as yourself. Some of us are single parents. Some of us work 60 hours a week. Some of us work odd or rotating shifts. We all have hobbies and interests.

The point is that we all have competing priorities and responsibilities, and most of us struggle to balance them, at least from time to time. Do what you can when you can, and make sure you're being honest with yourself about the effort you are giving and how you are prioritizing things. Accept that there will be good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks, but be in it for the long haul.

It's a process... you gotta work through it and stay with it.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    I don't find time to exercise. I make time.

^^^ This. If it's important you'll make time. If it's not, you'll make excuses. Sorry for the harshness but that's the way it is.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options

One option is to use DVDs/YouTube videos/etc and workout from home. You can definitely get a good burn from just a 30 minute workout. Working out at home takes out the transportation time to a gym, as well as the cost of a gym. There will be an upfront cost if you go the DVD route, but I've found it to be worth the investment.

It may also help you to write out a calendar for yourself. It feels satisfying to cross off your workout for the day, and it may help you stay on track.

Another option is to do one of those 30 day challenges (just Google it - a bunch of sites out there). Even doing, say, 20 jumping jacks every day is something. IMO every little bit does help... and starting small may help you make it a part of your routine.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    JoyeII wrote: »
    I've seen them. I know. They don't want to sweat. They come to the gym in full makeup. I don't get the point of that. :)

yeah wait a minute lol

I don't go to the gym in full makeup. But I also shower and go to the gym when Im squeaky clean from head to toe. It's just a quirk. But I don't sweat. On deadlift day I'll get a stripe down my spine and across my collarbones, but that's about it.

Comments like that make me worry that every time I tell someone on MFP not to worry about other people judging them in the gym, that I might be wrong. There are people judging them for their makeup and for how much they sweat. That seems... like an odd way to waste energy on another person.

Thumbs Ups are better :flowerforyou:

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you have time to play on the computer, you have time to workout. Priorities.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm fully expecting that the OP won't be back. He's made up his mind that he doesn't have time and until he changes his mind, he's right.

However, I'd like to point out that asking others for motivation, and expecting results, is pointless. Being disappointed and blaming others for failing to motivate you is silly and immature. It also highlights the fact that although you say you want to make changes in your life, you really just aren't ready yet. Until you are, stop making yourself feel guilty about it. You don't need exercise to lose weight but it certainly makes things easier as well as improves your quality of life.

Motivation comes from within; no one can "give it" to anyone else. I can point out the fact that my husband is 50 pounds overweight to him until I'm blue in the face. I can tell him that I'm worried for him and his health. I can remind him that diabetes and heart disease run in his family so losing weight and exercising would go a long way to improving his longevity and quality of life. But until he WANTS to make that change, none of that will motivate him to make it. Until he is ready, I will continue to provide a good example for him and try to change what I can in ways that will benefit him without driving him in the other direction.