Diet, Exercise, Hard Work.... and NOTHING is paying off. Needing help guys!

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions as far as some low calorie foods that can keep me full for long periods of time? I am a southern girl married to an italian, we like to eat lol. So any low calorie filling foods?

First, do you mind telling us what you've set your goals to here?

I'd honestly hate for you to have to set too great of a deficit and struggle so much at the get go.

My info is set at 190 pounds, 5'5", lose 2 pounds a week, active. It says 1200 calories.

IMHO, 1200 is really aggressive.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I also just read a post here about weighing your food and the importance of it, so I told hubby to get me a scale otw home. I am trying to read as many posts as possible regarding logging since this is my first attempt at logging.

That comment alone makes me think you will find this easier than you thought and you will find success. Learning to log properly is key and the fact you are reading the stickies on the boards is HUGE. You clearly need some more education as you seem to have the will and the dedication just not the knowledge.

For me the trick has been to find the lowest calories foods that I enjoy (really love eating) and keeps me full the longest. Usually this involves a hunk of meat and some veggies for around a 500 cal meal. Veggies are roasted without oil and they are SOOOOO good! I also like a bowl of zucchini dropped in with some tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce) and I actually prefer that over spaghetti. Different little things that have replaced my previous more calorie dense choices. You need to find the different little things that will work for you and I'd bet you will find a lot of little, relatively easy changes will add up to progress.

Also I'd suggest setting your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week (if not .5) as you get started and see how that goes for you. The goal is to eat as much as possible and lose slowly so it stays off. I know you are eager to get to your goal but if you read around here you will see repeated time and time again how important to long term success it is to set manageable goals and not get too aggressive. I lose WAY faster than MFP predictions (probably due to inaccurate calorie counting on my part counting things too low), so I keep mine set at .5-1/week to lose 2-3 a week. You may find you have tendency to lose slower than MFP predictions, which likely will mean you are overestimating calorie burn or underestimating calories, in which case the simple fix is to drop your calorie goal a little until you start losing.

Give yourself at least a month of experimenting and as you go along if you don't see losses tighten up your calorie tracking even more, lower your intake a bit, rinse repeat until you see progress. That approach should work for most people. Best of luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions as far as some low calorie foods that can keep me full for long periods of time? I am a southern girl married to an italian, we like to eat lol. So any low calorie filling foods?

I'd honestly hate for you to have to set too great of a deficit and struggle so much at the get go.

My info is set at 190 pounds, 5'5", lose 2 pounds a week, active. It says 1200 calories.

1200 is definitely too low. Especially since you've got 2 kids to chase around and are potentially breast feeding (you never mentioned it you were or not).

Change it to 1lb/week or 1700calories. Weight lose will be slower. But more sustainable. You'll have more energy to play with your kids. And be less hangry (hungry and angry).
  • Aditi1310
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    yeah.. My weight is within normal limits.. I am 20.. 5'4'' and my current weight is 57.90 kgs.. but I want to lose fat from my belly and lower body.. so I guessed 54 kgs should be my goal weight.. I am hesitant in going into completely strict diet.. where you only eat like steamed veggies and yogurt n stuff.. because I can't follow that kind of eating forever..
    You are correct and congrats for realizing that.

If you're at a good weight for your height but still have fat you want to lose then what you're really looking for is body recomposition, not weight loss. It's two completely different mindsets. What you want to do is to reduce your body fat percentage and the best way to do that is.... to build muscle.

I'm pretty sure you said earlier that you can't lift much. Time to change that! :wink: Seriously, strength training has soooo many benefits. I started earlier this year and I'm wearing the same clothes in the mid-130 pound range that I was wearing a few years ago in the lower 120 pound range. I carry my weight around my hips and thighs, too. I've been running for a few years and while my thighs have only gotten a little smaller so far, I can see muscle definition in them that running didn't bring by itself.

So, start lifting and use the tape measure instead of the scale to judge your progress. You'll be much happier doing that than subsisting on steamed veggies and still not looking the way you really want to look.

yes.. I am getting motivated to lift more.. n I am going to start from tommorrow.. I literally dread strength training days.. In gym I see others lifting such heavy weights.. n I am like struggling with the small ones.. every now n then, random pple correcting my posture.. argghh.. embarrassing :P
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Protein is usually filling...chicken, ham, nuts, tuna, cottage cheese etc. I like to have an apple with peanut butter.

You know what's delish AND filling?!
    A tablespoon of natural PB (I'm sure Jif or Skippy would work too) mixed with greek yogurt (I prefer 2% but 0% works) and some splenda. Then dip the apple into the mix. Mmmm
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Aditi1310 wrote: »
    yeah.. My weight is within normal limits.. I am 20.. 5'4'' and my current weight is 57.90 kgs.. but I want to lose fat from my belly and lower body.. so I guessed 54 kgs should be my goal weight.. I am hesitant in going into completely strict diet.. where you only eat like steamed veggies and yogurt n stuff.. because I can't follow that kind of eating forever..

If you're at a good weight for your height but still have fat you want to lose then what you're really looking for is body recomposition, not weight loss. It's two completely different mindsets. What you want to do is to reduce your body fat percentage and the best way to do that is.... to build muscle.

I'm pretty sure you said earlier that you can't lift much. Time to change that! :wink: Seriously, strength training has soooo many benefits. I started earlier this year and I'm wearing the same clothes in the mid-130 pound range that I was wearing a few years ago in the lower 120 pound range. I carry my weight around my hips and thighs, too. I've been running for a few years and while my thighs have only gotten a little smaller so far, I can see muscle definition in them that running didn't bring by itself.

So, start lifting and use the tape measure instead of the scale to judge your progress. You'll be much happier doing that than subsisting on steamed veggies and still not looking the way you really want to look.

yes.. I am getting motivated to lift more.. n I am going to start from tommorrow.. I literally dread strength training days.. In gym I see others lifting such heavy weights.. n I am like struggling with the small ones.. every now n then, random pple correcting my posture.. argghh.. embarrassing :P

Watch youtube for form videos, ask questions here and in the Eat Train Progress group.

Those people started somewhere too. One day you'll get to those heavy weights. Once you get the form down and start being consistent with it, I bet you won't dread strength days.
  • Aditi1310
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I"m sure others have already said this, but you'll never lose weight by working out and "clean eating" alone. Both are great, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Based on what you've said, I'd wager you are eating a lot more than you think. Someone wise once said, "you get fit in the gym, but you lose weight in the kitchen". I learned the hard way myself that you can't lose weight by exercise alone. And I'm not even sure what clean eating is; different people define it differently. Believe it or not, you can lose weight on a diet of nothing but candy and french fries if you simply don't eat too much of them. Calories in/calories out is the ENTIRE formula.

Although...I don't recommend the candy and french fry diet if any kind of good health among your goals.

I love how you explained it.. but eating less than you burn.. wont make the body weak.. ???

Not sure I understand the question. Eating less than you burn is called a caloric deficit, which is required for weight loss.

Now, the deficit CAN make your body weak if the deficit is too large and your body can support the difference in energy stores that it already has.

how much deficit is required for weight loss.. based on only food intake..?? according to this site I need to consume 1200 cal (considering my fitness n weight loss goal i guess).. should I consume less than 1200 for shedding weight??

What this website is saying is that in order to meet the weighloss goals that you entered you need to net 1200 calories. You probably entered in 2lbs per week, so the website did the calculation and shot out 1200 calories to meet that goal. It can be done through just eating 1200 calories, or eating 1800 calories and doing 600 calories worth of exercise.

As another poster noted, it is probably unlikely that you need to go that low to lose weight unless your quite small, have little to lose, are "older", or a combination of all. Ht/age/wt/activity stats would help us provide other tips.
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I"m sure others have already said this, but you'll never lose weight by working out and "clean eating" alone. Both are great, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Based on what you've said, I'd wager you are eating a lot more than you think. Someone wise once said, "you get fit in the gym, but you lose weight in the kitchen". I learned the hard way myself that you can't lose weight by exercise alone. And I'm not even sure what clean eating is; different people define it differently. Believe it or not, you can lose weight on a diet of nothing but candy and french fries if you simply don't eat too much of them. Calories in/calories out is the ENTIRE formula.

Although...I don't recommend the candy and french fry diet if any kind of good health among your goals.

I love how you explained it.. but eating less than you burn.. wont make the body weak.. ???

Not sure I understand the question. Eating less than you burn is called a caloric deficit, which is required for weight loss.

Now, the deficit CAN make your body weak if the deficit is too large and your body can support the difference in energy stores that it already has.

how much deficit is required for weight loss.. based on only food intake..?? according to this site I need to consume 1200 cal (considering my fitness n weight loss goal i guess).. should I consume less than 1200 for shedding weight??

It's very unlikely that you need to consume as low as 1200 to begin with so don't reduce further.
    Please provide your stats: height, weight, age, gender, activity level, etc.

I am female, 20 yr old.. activity level based on this site is around 1790.. my weight is 57.90 kg but I have a belly fat and my lower body is on the heavier side.. I do gym ( Cardio + strength training; although can't lift much weight :P) and also I practice zumba workouts and body weight exercises at home.. sometimes I get lazy.. even tho my weight stays around 58 kg but my belly inches starts increasing.. :(

Whats your height?

5'4''

You're 5'4" and 127lbs. That's smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for your height.

You said you've got belly fat and a heavier bottom half. You aren't going to be able to spot reduce, no one can except for a plastic surgeon doing liposuction.

Based on the calculator on fat2fitradio.com (it's the one I've always used, I know other people use other calculators, it doesn't matter one one you use, just be consistent):
    your BMR is 1700 calories at a sedentary activity level.

You'd benefit from setting a more realistic calorie goal and actually lifting weights. Because if you're consistent with lifting, you'll be able to lift more weight.

thanks a ton for taking time and giving me advice :) yeah I will try to lift more.. my hands start shaking at times.. I guess I have lower strength in my upper body.. I have to be more consistent with weights...

The shaking hands could be from trying to lift too much. From holding the weight too tight. From not eating enough. From not drinking enough.

Also, OP, the advice I've been giving @aditi1310 can be adapted to work for you as well which is part of why I've been answering her questions her instead of PMing her. So you could see the info and learn from it as well.

Don't be afraid to lift. We don't have the testosterone to get "bulky" (I hate that word so much). And lifting weights - free weights preferably - will make your life easier. It'll make lifting your kids easier, carrying in all the groceries easier, less jiggle, etc.

no I wasn't lifting too much.. It can be due to lack of hydration.. since I am not keeping a track of it.. I will start doing that from tomorrow..
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

1200 is definitely too low. Especially since you've got 2 kids to chase around and are potentially breast feeding (you never mentioned it you were or not).

Change it to 1lb/week or 1700calories. Weight lose will be slower. But more sustainable. You'll have more energy to play with your kids. And be less hangry (hungry and angry).

Yeah. I know it's tempting to go for the option that lets you lose as much weight as possible (so with mfp that's 2lbs a week), but a 1lb a week goal is much much more sustainable. 1200 calories is pretty much the absolute minimum anyone should be eating, and that's if you're super short and lead a very inactive life style... if you go to low it's more likely to lead to giving up, or bindgeing on a couple of days because you're so hungry from such a big deficit, which can very easily wipe out all your good work for the week, which is just gonna lead to frustration that you're trying so hard and so hungry all the time but not seeing any change in the scale
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    I always thought losing weight was about eating healthy. I think everyone has this misconception at first.
    obviously I am new to the sight so I wanted to post and get advice. This is my first day logging, and I am buying a kitchen scale today.

I think that if you are being advised to eat a less-healthy diet in order to get healthier, that isn’t rational advice. Part of being a healthier person is having self-respect, which doesn’t entail shoveling garbage into your body as long as the garbage is within your macros / calorie parameters!

Define garbage.

yes, please define "garbage"….

It is up to the individual to define - hopefully without engaging in self-deception. Then again, there are a lot of times that I throw my definition of "garbage" on the curb and often someone comes by in an old truck and takes it. I'm sure if I talked to the guy in the truck he would stand out there and argue with me about why he didn't think it was garbage, but who has that kind of time?

way to back track ..

you said everyone is recommending OP eat garbage, then when asked to define said "garbage" you totally bail and say "well my garbage is not your garbage"….actually that is an epic back track…

You also said that OP needs to eat "healthier"

As this is her first day here, how is she to know what is "healthy" and what is "garbage" unless you define it?

So please, define it for us….

I have my own standards of food quality - I encourage the OP to do the research and find her own.

I'm not sure what mislead you into thinking that I was going to contribute an extensive disertation on my theories of nutrition. You are flexing shirtlessly for your profile pic, so I'm sure you have figured out your own standards.

That's really all I have to say about it - if you are looking for a fight, I'm sure you are disappointed.

I just want you to define "garbage" is it really that difficult? Resulting to insults is the sign of a small mind.

• DestinyLittle
    Options
    I am not breast feeding. I have insufficent glands and had to stop at 8 weeks :/ How do I go back and change the settings to 1 pound per week like u all suggested?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Protein is usually filling...chicken, ham, nuts, tuna, cottage cheese etc. I like to have an apple with peanut butter.

You know what's delish AND filling?!
    A tablespoon of natural PB (I'm sure Jif or Skippy would work too) mixed with greek yogurt (I prefer 2% but 0% works) and some splenda. Then dip the apple into the mix. Mmmm

Sounds yum. I considered mixing peanut butter with my natural yogurt earlier. Think I will tomorrow!
  • Aditi1310
    Options

Watch youtube for form videos, ask questions here and in the Eat Train Progress group.

Those people started somewhere too. One day you'll get to those heavy weights. Once you get the form down and start being consistent with it, I bet you won't dread strength days.

yeah I hope that too.. logging in to this site was a vry wise thing to do.. so many helpful members.. I really now feel that we all are in this together :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I am not breast feeding. I have insufficent glands and had to stop at 8 weeks :/ How do I go back and change the settings to 1 pound per week like u all suggested?

I'm sorry =[

On the home page, click "Goals" then "Change Goals" (it's a big green button)
    Make sure "Guided" is checked, then hit "Continue"

Also, remember, the amount of calories MFP gives you is BEFORE exercise.
    So if you work out and burn 400 calories, I'd eat about half of that if you're using the MFP exercise database since it does tend to overestimate
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

I've had to mix feed my three due to insufficient milk supply and them losing too much weight, so I understand.

Um, go to settings? I can never remember!

• DestinyLittle
    Options

I've had to mix feed my three due to insufficient milk supply and them losing too much weight, so I understand.

Yes, my son was born at 8 lvs 15 oz and at 5 weeks was only 9lbs. Then at 8 weeks was 8lbs 9oz, so we supplimented and within 2 weeks my supply was gone and i could no longer do it.
  • DestinyLittle
    Options

I'm sorry =[

So if you work out and burn 400 calories, I'd eat about half of that if you're using the MFP exercise database since it does tend to overestimate

I changed it and it wants me to eat 1790.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I'm sorry =[

I changed it and it wants me to eat 1790.

Sounds perfect to me.

Give it a shot for 6-8 weeks. And adjust up or down from there. Just trust that calorie goal for the next 6-8 weeks.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions as far as some low calorie foods that can keep me full for long periods of time?

For the vast majority of people, there aren't any.

• DawnieB1977
    Options

Yes, my son was born at 8 lvs 15 oz and at 5 weeks was only 9lbs. Then at 8 weeks was 8lbs 9oz, so we supplimented and within 2 weeks my supply was gone and i could no longer do it.

It sucks, but I know I tried my hardest and they got as much breast milk as possible. My son (my first) dropped from 7lbs13 to 6lbs 7 :(. I mix fed for 3 months.

The silver lining = hubby can give bottles so I can go to gym loads.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I don't know if you mentioned if you are nursing your baby or not, if so, that would change your caloric requirements. Just something to consider.

You've gotten good advice here namely:

1. Weigh/measure and log all your food consistently
    2. Set reasonable goals and understand that there are ways to measure success besides the number on the scale
    3. Continue to exercise if you enjoy it but you don't need to kill yourself in the gym to lose weight. Being a mom of two little ones burns more calories than you think...
    4. Don't subscribe to overly restrictive diets because you feel you need to "eat clean" or "go low carb" or something to be successful. Many people on MFP eat the same things they always ate in smaller quantities and are quite successful in meeting their goals.
    5. Be patient - I know it is hard when you feel you have a lot of weight to lose, and you want it gone sooner rather than later. But I think one thing I learned after I became a parent - time flies really fast. When it comes to our kids, we always say, "I wish I could slow things down". You blink, and your newborn is 1 and your 4 year old will be in Kindergarten. It's ok if it takes you a year, or more, to lose the weight. Because that year is going to fly by, and if a year from now you weigh 50 lbs, or even 25 lbs less, that will be great progress.

Good luck!