Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Options

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Can someone post the link again I can't seem to find the calculator

I've discovered it doesn't seem to work on mobile devices. The website has two tabs: one with the calculator and one with an explanation. From mobile devices, the link takes you to the explanation, and I haven't been able to figure out how to see the calculator.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yeah i had tried it, it is good for getting BMI count of your body, thanks for sharing this.
  • RoxieHart1
    RoxieHart1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    This tool compares your BMI to that of people in your own country and around the world.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18770328

HAHA! Okay, I know BMI isn't a reliable and or the only indicator of health/fitness but... it was amusing. Apparently, I am like that of someone from Nepal. :o

My BMI is lower than 95% of the people in my age group, in my country and less than 88% of the people worldwide. Only two countries were lower; Ethiopia and Bangladesh :p

Gee, and I only lost 4 pounds so far - been doing this 3 weeks. Maybe I need to rethink my weight-loss goals? lol

"If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 46,797,868 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population"

• Myriambaril18
    Myriambaril18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MEGA LOL: at 5'9'' and 158 lbs, BMI 23 "You're most like someone from Philippines"

I didn't know that people of the Philippines were that tall!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lol BMI, each time I see that word I think about fax machines and VCR's.
  • secondnature81
    secondnature81 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Interesting even if it doesn't mean all that much. Still crazy motivation.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Remind me never to go to vietnam XD....but seriously...I'm less than 24% body fat so its irritating that these things dont take into consideration muscle mass..
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I did mine and am like Ethiopia. That kind of freaks me out.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a "skinny minnie"; I have a BMI of 22, but I'm still thinner than 89% of the women in the U.S. and 69% thinner than women worldwide. I'm comparable to a woman in India.
    I was a little surprised because where I work out, which is a YMCA in New England with a diverse range of ages, I am not the thinnest person there. However, I have heard that New England is one of the "thinner" regions of the U.S. Also, I have been working out at my university, and I do wonder about some of our young people. Except for the girls who are obviously athletes, many of the girls in the classes are heavier and more unfit than I am.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    damn! i went from a BMI higher than 99% of the global population of females in my age range (really?!?!?!?!) to a BMI lower than 64% of the global population females in my age range, and lower than 89% of females in my age range in my country (U.S.). all i can say is wow. i'm truly shocked.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    MEGA LOL: at 5'9'' and 158 lbs, BMI 23 "You're most like someone from Philippines"

I didn't know that people of the Philippines were that tall!!!!

I got "You're most like someone from North Korea" :neutral_face: No. No I am not.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Thanks @jrose1982 for posting this thread.
    National
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 95% of males aged 45-59 in your country Global
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 77% of males aged 45-59 in the world

Did you know?
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 28,395,880 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

Now what I could do with those 28M tonnes I saved the world....:)
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Really fascinating. I think of myself as being pretty chubby, but apparently I'm on the bottom end of BMI - like an Ethiopian. Then again, I had a BMI of 18 or something in college, so everything feels high compared to that :/
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    <---eats (and walks) like an egyptian
    tumblr_mwonesZfIM1t0f6o2o1_250.gif
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Interesting: You have a lower BMI than 93% of females aged 30-44 in your country. You have a lower BMI than 76% of females aged 30-44 in the world. If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 44,844,863 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population. You're most like someone from Ethiopia.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    LOL...You have a higher BMI than 94% of males aged 30-44 in your country Global
    You have a higher BMI than 100% of males aged 30-44 in the world
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all! I get BMI but it says I am heavier than 98% of the women in Canada from 19-26 but I know for a fact there's a lot of women out there still bigger than me, and there's also a lot a bigger women in the US too. I cannot be heavier than 98% of the population in Canada . . . there's something off about this.

For the record, I'm 5'9, 250lbs with 34% BF

It's not the whole population of Canada. It's just the population in your age group. Younger people tend to have lower BMI
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I got BMI of 20 and lower BMI than 90% of people on my age range in the US and 65% in the world. BMI similar to people from Japan
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I now feel awesome. And Nigerian.