Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Options

Replies

• caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Jeez :( This really is sobering. I'm the lowest I've been as an adult and I'm still 99% bigger than the females in the world. Ughhhhhhhh. 83% bigger in the US. I think I'll go cry now. Bleh
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hmm. When I started my current weight loss in January 2013, I had a BMI of 31 and was higher than 67% of US males aged 30-44, and higher than 94% of males in the world in that age range.

Nearly two years later, with a BMI of 22, I'm lower than 94% of US American males 45-59, and lower than 75% of males in the world in that range.

The distressing thing is that I don't think I am thin. I'm now a normal weight. But it seems as if fat is the new normal.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You really should only compare yourself to you. Your personal progress is more important than how you rate compared to others.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    woohoo You have a lower BMI than 86% of females aged 30-44 in your country (canada). You have a lower BMI than 74% of females aged 30-44 in the world

Did you know?
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 40,482,703 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population
    You're most like someone from Sri Lanka*

and I do have muscle :)This is BMI 20
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I am most like someone from Bangladesh. If George Harrison and Ravi Shankar were still around, they could stage a benefit concert.

I have a BMI lower than 97% of women in my age range in the US and lower than 90% worldwide. However falling into the 45-59 age bracket was the biggest slap in the face for me.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    BMI = 23. You have a lower BMI than 89% of males aged 30-44 in your country. You have a lower BMI than 63% of males aged 30-44 in the world.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Haha, how amusing, although I found it more interesting to see which had the heavier populations rather than evaluating myself, lol

Me, too. That was quite eye opening. Being a Canadian, it was shocking to see such a spread in results between Canada and the USA which based on where I live, is about 25 minutes away!

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this link!

rzt4lqe7pczq.jpg
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    betharin wrote: »
    This is very reflective of how overweight Americans are now. I have a lower BMI than 65% in the U.S. for my height/age, but higher than 71% worldwide!!

actually it is not, because BMI does not account for muscle mass…

Not saying Americans are not obese, I am just disputing that BMI is an "effective stat"….

It actually IS reflective. People with a larger muscle mass than average are the exception, not the rule. BMI may not be very accurate for individuals, but it is for large groups.

That's the entire point. BMI is a population metric. It's completely useless as a statistic for an individual, was never intended to be used for individuals, and even the man who came up with the formula went on record stating that BMI of any single individual is meaningless.

Also, there are millions of athletes competing in organized sports (pro, semi-pro, amateur) in the United States alone. To say that people with above average muscle mass are rare exceptions is disingenuous.

^heartily agrees!
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, lower BMI than 80% of females in the US ages 15-29, and a higher BMI than 55% of females aged 15-29 in the world. If everyone in the world had my BMI, it would remove 15,549,799 tonnes of total weight. Even though the scale is a bit arbitrary considering all the variables, I'm not gonna lie, it feels pretty good LOL. ;)
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've gone from being most like a woman of my age in Tonga to being most like a woman of my age in Botswana. Goal seems to be Laos! Fascinating :smiley:
  • kwirky112
    kwirky112 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am bigger than a Tongan :s
  • kwirky112
    kwirky112 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    But I see that my goal will make me an Iraqi :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    betharin wrote: »
    This is very reflective of how overweight Americans are now. I have a lower BMI than 65% in the U.S. for my height/age, but higher than 71% worldwide!!

actually it is not, because BMI does not account for muscle mass…

Not saying Americans are not obese, I am just disputing that BMI is an "effective stat"….

It actually IS reflective. People with a larger muscle mass than average are the exception, not the rule. BMI may not be very accurate for individuals, but it is for large groups.

That is correct.

So I have a BMI that is lower than 92% of Americans, lower than 72% of the world, and I am most like a woman from Eritrea. I'm cool with that. B)

ETA: In comparison, that looks about right I think.

Eritrean Women:
    Eritrean-Women_zps067b3706.png

Me:
    e306c1ff-d22a-4ede-8206-6ca577619807_zpsc9891ac9.jpg
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Love it! It said "You have a lower BMI than 79% of females aged 45-59 in your country " and 59% of the world.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This is pretty cool, I don't put too much stock in BMI but to know I've gone from BMI of approx. 55 to 26 is awesome to me...hehe
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    45lbs down and still fatter than 98% in my country, damn. I sometimes forget how big I was, and how big I still am.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think the most shocking thing is the disparity between the global percent and the United States one!

I have a lower BMI than 65% of women aged 15-29 in the U.S,
    But a higher BMI than 75% of women 15-29 in the world.

I'm most like someone from Slovenia.

I would ADD about 14,000,000 tons to the weight of the world's population.

Really opens my eyes and shows me how much MORE work is yet to be done!
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    Can someone post the link again I can't seem to find the calculator