20 pounds by Easter challenge

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    chipgraff wrote: »
    Hello all, my name is Chip, and I realize I am quite late to the party, I just started using the site last week, but I am down 4 pounds since I started, so pretty excited. I'm definitely looking for wonderful people to help motivate me, and this seems like an amazing group to be apart of. Mind if I join? Not sure if I'll reach the 20 by Easter, but I am going full steam ahead! Oh and as for your 4th of July challenge, which I think is an awesome one, how would the title Fireworks for Fat- Burners strike you? I think it has a nice ring to it :) Either way, I look forward to getting to know you all if you will have me. Have a wonderful day!

Welcome to our team Chingraff glad to have you aboard We would love to have you join us.
    Marie

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I just attended my first Zumba class here at work. I absolutely hate Zumba but I told a coworker I would go with her. Even though it was a good workout, its just not for me. Every now and again I like to try something different. I usually go to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) with Tabata during my lunch hour.

I have a FitBit Charger HR and it said I was able to reach my 10,000 step goal much earlier in the day than I usually do because of Zumba. Anyway, I'm feeling good for stepping outside my norm today!!

Good for you to step out of your comfort zone! (*)
    I love Zumba and now do it in the pool! But, like all activity, it is not for everyone. ;)
    Line dancing is also one of my favs...lots of steps!

I want to try spinning, but I keep thinking about my big butt hanging over the sides of the seat and not being able to keep up!

What is Tabata?
  • cristina0000
    cristina0000 Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just attended my first Zumba class here at work. I absolutely hate Zumba but I told a coworker I would go with her. Even though it was a good workout, its just not for me. Every now and again I like to try something different. I usually go to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) with Tabata during my lunch hour.

I have a FitBit Charger HR and it said I was able to reach my 10,000 step goal much earlier in the day than I usually do because of Zumba. Anyway, I'm feeling good for stepping outside my norm today!!

Good for you to step out of your comfort zone! (*)
    I love Zumba and now do it in the pool! But, like all activity, it is not for everyone. ;)
    Line dancing is also one of my favs...lots of steps!

I want to try spinning, but I keep thinking about my big butt hanging over the sides of the seat and not being able to keep up!

What is Tabata?

It is exercise done at a fast pace for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The speed and the repeated exercise is very tiring!!

I'm currently in DC and I'm scheduled to leave soon. I'm going to miss this class because this isn't in my area ( Va Beach). At least I haven't seen at close to my house.

Spinning is another exercise I tried last week, not for me either but it was a really good workout. I hear after awhile the seat doesn't bother you. The seat was the worst part, its so hard and angled funny!
  • GrayBon
    GrayBon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Forgot to check in with my results yesterday so here I go
    SW 197.4
    CW 179
    GW 150
    TL 18

I'm so excited I haven't seen 170 anything, in a long time
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Connie
    Good for you for trying Zumba and doing something out of the norm.

Gray bon
    Nice loss keep it up.

Having a good day today but still need somekind of exercise. Going to get that done.

Linda
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    GrayBon wrote: »
    Forgot to check in with my results yesterday so here I go
    SW 197.4
    CW 179
    GW 150
    TL 18

I'm so excited I haven't seen 170 anything, in a long time

Nice!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    vey nice Gray Bon
  • beszmytke
    beszmytke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Chip, welcome to our Easter challenge and we are always happy to have another supportive, happy member! Doviene, glad you are here, and your loss so far is amazing! You will get right back to it! My husband and our youngest son don't want to eat what I am choosing to have for meals, so I have just made it a habit to make dinner be a main dish I can eat (like chicken), and then make different sides for them and for myself. It is a little more work, but planning makes it easier, and everyone is happy. I think the weight I have gained over time is because I have given in to eating what everyone else likes, instead of what I might like that is good for me. Time to change that!

Linda, thank you for your good wishes. I have long since forgiven Frank for what his addiction put our family through. He has told me several times that alcohol had such a hold on him that he felt he was dying if he didn't have some every few hours. His last few years before he went to detox were horrifying for him. He's been sober 2 1/2 years now, and the surgery for his original cancer gave us these past two years to get back to the wonderful relationship we had growing up. I feel blessed to have had them, and appreciate each day that is left.

Cristina, you rock! I like that you went to Zumba with your coworker, even though you don't like Zumba - just the fact that you are working out "at work" is a great thing!

Happy Hump Day tomorrow! Be a loser!

Belinda

• slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Belinda, so sorry to hear about your brother but so nice that you have reconciled with him and can be his support through this challenging time.

Chip, welcome, I think you may be our token man!! great support here

Connie, stop worrying about your butt. if you are so worried sit in the back! this is one of the "new" things we are suppose to be doing. remember mix up food and exercise!

I wish I was down this week but I don't think so...I have my period for the first time in a while, think perimenopause has definitely set in:(
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Having a Tuesday happy dance! My doctor says she is pleased with my progress since mid December. I am getting stronger, my posture and back are gradually improving (a big deal with all of the atrophy sigh), and my balance and gait are better. There is still a lot of work to be done, but she said maybe in a month or so I will be ready to go back to some kind of work!!! She said I may still have dizziness, but that we might be able to get my body to adjust to it if I keep doing balance and strength work. That is the best news I have had since I can't even remember. Before I would fall when I tried to move, so already there has been a huge quality of life improvement. Baby steps!

She said I am the first patient that has done all of my "homework" exercises and activity, and she can tell I did them all because of my "exceptional progress" :smiley: She is happy with the gym routine (started with water bottles then 2 pound weights then 5 pound weights at home), and said I can start the balance and mobility class at the Y since the walking and weights have gone so well. Having been so sick and in bed for so long, it was like winning the lottery! Group class here I come!

THEN she said she can tell I have lost at least a dress size and that I will have no problem getting back to my regular weight if I keep up the good work, and that losing a pound a week so far is fantastic. I told her I am trying to meet the 20 pounds by Easter goal. She smiled and said it is great to have a goal and I told her it is great to have a group and a spreadsheet tracker! She was surprised we are so organized, and I confessed it wasn't me but other helpful users and I just came along for the ride :blush:

I have my appointment with Cedars next week to see if their migraine clinic can help with the dizziness and eye stuff (prayers for a treatment plan are greatly appreciated). Such a long journey this has become, and I have a long way yet to go. It is helpful to me to have a group and a goal to work towards. Looking forward to a good weigh in Friday!

Sorry for the long post....I am just so excited! For the past 9 months it has been bad news and more bad news, so today to hear her say things are working was great!

• bellafisher74
    Options
    Hello. I am new to mfp. And I am diabetic and way late for your easter challenge but I was reading thru post and this seems like a good group for encouragement and support and motivation. I am in desperate need of motivation. I just cant seem to find mine anymore. I recently quit truck driving to start an at home business. Which means I am used to a non active, fast food lifestyle and i just tradrd it for another non active life style, but with the freedom I didn't have previously to make better food and exercise choices. So, i just downloaded this app, and tomorrow I start getting motivated! I have alot of work ahead of me.... I need to get my diabetes under control, I have neuropathy, I just entered that "time" in a woman's life, and I am surrounded by males! I love my guys (husband, 2 boys, and even a male dog!) But they are not good motivation, they love mom, they love mom's cooking, and they see nothing wrong with mom the way I am god love'em! I am also newin my community and haven't found any friends yet.
    CW 275
    GW 150
  • rayw89
    Options
    kellycasey5, may I ask what it is your battling? And good job, btw!
  • rayw89
    Options
    bellafisher74, we're here for you! I understand the guy thing, my husband hadn't noticed my 20 lb. weight gain over the last few months, and he doesn't notice my current weight loss. It makes it hard, mentally/emotionally, I know. We will all get through these things together. :)
  • kellycasey5
    Options
    @rayw89 they diagnosed me with vestibular migraine with persistent aura in June. The dizziness and vision stuff is my "aura". It has been very disabling, and different than my usual migraines. Still a work in progress trying to find some medicine to prevent it....
  • kellycasey5
    Options
    @bellafisher74, welcome! I am sorry for the health challenges you face but believe this is a great place to be! You are undergoing so many changes all at once and this is a great opportunity to get help and support along the way! We will all get there together! It's never too late to join...adjust a pound goal for Easter and you will be well on your way :)
  • sparklecomet
    sparklecomet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Woohoo back from Paris! I'm so tired but I had a wonderful time. I'm pretty happy with how I did eating wise. I didn't count while I was there but I don't think I ate completely crazy amounts of food either. Anyway back on the wagon again now! =)
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good morning losers and MORE new people! We are more than happy to have you as it is never too late to join us. <3 Although there are just a few weeks left until Easter, we will be starting a fresh 20 pounds by the Fourth of July right after.

Happy Wednesday! :)

Personal training and Aquafit at the gym for me today. It is still quite chilly and it's supposed to rain later, but I am glad to be able to get out regardless of weather.

Enjoy your day, challengers.
    Stay strong!

Connie
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Kelley
    Great news from your doctor. Baby steps they will get you there.

BellaFisher
    You have found a very supportive group. Get journaling. Take care of your diabetes and apparently the weight will to. I'm also a diabetic i'm trying to cut back on carbs. I was having issues of it being to high. But a few days of good eating got it where i'm comfortable. Also as a truck driver you couldn't just jump out and go for a walk. Now in an office make it a priority to get up and move at least every hour even for a little walk in and around the office.

Seen a frown on wii's face this morning but that's yesterday's pea soup. I don't even know why I made it but wanting some for so long. And now I have a big pot and no one likes that here. I know what i'll do i'll put some in mason jar for this fella at tops who don't have much money. His fault smokes and drinks but guess that is a disease.

Hopefully I can come back from tops with a loss.

See you all lighter
    Linda in the great white North imagine it will be white for awhile yet.
  • beszmytke
    beszmytke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome, BellaFisher! You've found a wonderful group for support and friendship! Don't be overwhelmed by the many changes going on in your life - consider this your transition to the new you! All the pieces will come together; I think many of us deal with the male perceptions of us, and it is nice that they accept us the way we are, but a little support is helpful ;)

Kelly, I am sorry you have had to be going through this, and it sounds so debilitating. No wonder you did the Happy Dance, and I did one for you when I read your doctor's evaluation! Prayers coming your way for a successful treatment plan.

Sparkle, glad you are back and so happy you had a great time! Paris, wow!

Linda, how nice that you will share the soup with someone who will appreciate it! I've been wanting to make potato soup, but keep putting myself off o:)

Happy Wednesday to all!

Belinda
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :D Most of us don't have a great support team at home or in our regular face-to-face life so we find it here on MFP. This is a very supportive group and there is always someone here who wants to listen to your latest weight loss, or new exercise, or new food, or new success story. My husband and my friends have been happy about my weight loss but don't want to hear about it all the time.

:mrgreen: just keep coming back here to encourage and support and be encouraged and supported.

<3 Barbie