How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    7 and 20. :( Embarassing. :(

If things don't pick up soon, I'm going to start flagging my own posts.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I wondering if this thread is going to turn into the standard hell storm it tends to every year?

Like everyone said, it all depends... My gym goes through two. We have the post Thanksgiving gym special crowd now, then we pick up a bunch more at New Year's and then it drops off dramatically by mid Feb. At my favorite gym that I was at for about 5yrs, I want to say the rush lasted until March.

You remember these types of threads from past years too aye? :# Instead of ppl being excited for others getting started the threads turn to hating on new ppl.

It'll be way more ppl on MFP started at the beginning of a year... it's what some ppl do (use the first of the Year to make changes). Nothing wrong with it as some shared it's busier the first couple months but some ppl leave. Some stay and same on here... they stay put at the gym and stay put on here.

and we're happy for them RIGHT? Because we all started somewhere.. ;)

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    7 and 20. :( Embarassing. :(

If things don't pick up soon, I'm going to start flagging my own posts.

Mine is 4 and 12. *kicking can* :\
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    stefi2107 wrote: »
    Afternoon after work is usually about mid March before it does down. However, I go at 445 am so we get a handful of newbies who are gone within 2 weeks.

I use to complain about it but someone reminded me at one time I was one of those people.
    Love this... I wish more of us remembered ourselves 'back in the day'. lol :) Sounds like you make it work for yourself.. even if it's early you get a good workout in. I call that massive dedication... good on you!! <3

• Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    I wonder if people will eventually start getting in trouble for flagging without any real cause. It has to be a pain for the mods to sift through all the unwarranted flags.

Supposedly they are going to start looking into that soon. Supposedly.
    lol, doubtful.

I'm on track for 300 abuse and 100 spam this week.

Guess my brand of doesn't mince words doesn't mix well with the sunday lifters. lol.
    But none of it really matters as it's not real unless it's from the Mods... Just consider yourself popular... no one can say you're invisible if they are flagging you. :)

The whole flagging thing seems to have become a passive aggresive game to some.

Though I do love the way it works quickly for the 'mass spammers' when using the spam flag and 5 ppl actually use the correct flag.;) The spam is gone like magic then.

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym it was busy from January - March.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    About until March at my gym
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I wonder if people will eventually start getting in trouble for flagging without any real cause. It has to be a pain for the mods to sift through all the unwarranted flags.

lol, doubtful.

Guess my brand of doesn't mince words doesn't mix well with the sunday lifters. lol.
    But none of it really matters as it's not real unless it's from the Mods... Just consider yourself popular... no one can say you're invisible if they are flagging you. :)

Though I do love the way it works quickly for the 'mass spammers' when using the spam flag and 5 ppl actually use the correct flag.;) The spam is gone like magic then.

I agree.

I've picked up 40 flags today alone. Dem fans!!!
    See! There ya go :mrgreen:

• Hearts_2015
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    In my gym it's Valentines Day.

That being said, BE NICE TO RESOLUTIONARIES. Some of them stay, and some are successful.

I started with the new year, because I also had a new job in a new office, and my new gym had a new years offer (no membership fees).

2 years later, I'm still here bitchez. And I can out deadlift many of the bros.

Just my $0.02.
    Love it!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jos05 wrote: »
    Add me to the 5am crowd!! I did notice an increase over this past year of people coming from 5-6am...but it was mid year... New years never seems to really be a problem for the 5am crowd...and that's cool with me...
    Although, I personally love to see new people at my gym...I wish more people would start and keep their commit to working out... :smile:
    I love the early workouts, you get in do your workout then done for the day. It's a whole different crowd at the gym that early.:)

I agree with your second point as well... I too love to see new folks at my gym ...I like to treat them well because that's how I was treated when I started at the Y. Ppl make a connection and they feel comfy coming back again. I'd much rather cheer new ppl on for going to the gym than shove them out of my way ...maybe it's all in how we're treated when we first join?

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

lol, doubtful.

I agree.

I've picked up 40 flags today alone. Dem fans!!!
    See! There ya go :mrgreen:

Yeah, the whole flagging system rewards anonymous passive agressiveness. It's silly. I was using it as a "like" button, until there were quietly spoken myths about people being suspended from posting due to it.

It's just a bad system implemented poorly.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    For as many insults that I throw around, you'd think I'd be doing better than 18....13 of which came in this thread.

If you want, we can ask the person who is stalking yoovie and flagging her posts to add you to their list of unnecessary butthurt flagging...

I think I have been...

That would explain the virtual tripling of my flag total thanks to this thread alone.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I guess someone didn't like what I had to say and went back and flagged all of my posts. It's funny because I never said I didn't want new people in the gym.
    Is there somewhere you can see all the flags a person has? That is cool.

I swear people flag stuff because a) they don't like someone, or b) they're stupid and think it means they LIKE a post.

It's not cool. it doesnt tell you why, where, who or any helpful information to appeal it. It just says - you have 85 flags, which thankfully is only .5% of my posts. Not that that counts for anything either. number-wise.

I only flag nudie pics and VLCD / ED Mongering.
    For as many insults that I throw around, you'd think I'd be doing better than 18....13 of which came in this thread.

some people have a gift for staying under the radar.

I am not one.
  • yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options

lol, doubtful.

Yea you're the only one ahead of me I thing. The but hurt is in full force today. I've gotten maybe 20 today alone. The system is a joke and the Mods couldn't be bothered with it. I was told they are going to address it but I doubt it

Oh yea, I'm at 291 flags:

34 spam 257 abuse

i suddenly feel so much better.

• yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options

lol, doubtful.

Yea you're the only one ahead of me I thing. The but hurt is in full force today. I've gotten maybe 20 today alone. The system is a joke and the Mods couldn't be bothered with it. I was told they are going to address it but I doubt it

34 spam 257 abuse

How do I check!?

Edit: I see I've been labeled abusive 8 times!

that's not being labeled abusive lol, it means you broke the terms of service haha

If you want, we can ask the person who is stalking yoovie and flagging her posts to add you to their list of unnecessary butthurt flagging...

I don't know you and we aren't friends, so you just creeped me the hell out. that's weird. I dont have a flagging stalker so you're just stirring things for no reason.

auddii wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    I guess someone didn't like what I had to say and went back and flagged all of my posts. It's funny because I never said I didn't want new people in the gym.

I swear people flag stuff because a) they don't like someone, or b) they're stupid and think it means they LIKE a post.

It's not cool. it doesnt tell you why, where, who or any helpful information to appeal it. It just says - you have 85 flags, which thankfully is only .5% of my posts. Not that that counts for anything either. number-wise.

Actually, the mods have a post for how to use the flagging system, and they say use the spam for things that are clearly users with a fake account posting links and use the abuse for personal attacks. Everything else, they suggest using the report function like they used to (and to be extra confusing, the report function still allows you to select spam and abuse as options for why you're reporting it).

What i said was that when you click your flag notifications it does not tell you when, where or why you were flagged. The MFP post on this is unrelated.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

some people have a gift for staying under the radar.

I am not one.
    Actually, the mods have a post for how to use the flagging system, and they say use the spam for things that are clearly users with a fake account posting links and use the abuse for personal attacks. Everything else, they suggest using the report function like they used to (and to be extra confusing, the report function still allows you to select spam and abuse as options for why you're reporting it).

Stuff like nudes and threads going horribly wrong, I still use the report function. Not sure if I'm doing it right or not, but I know that mods will be notified, unlike the flag system where 4 other people have to agree with me until a mod is notified.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I think I have been...

That would explain the virtual tripling of my flag total thanks to this thread alone.

I think her stalker flagged my post about getting them to flag you lol
    Whatever lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

lol, doubtful.

34 spam 257 abuse

How do I check!?

Edit: I see I've been labeled abusive 8 times!

that's not being labeled abusive lol, it means you broke the terms of service haha

I don't know you and we aren't friends, so you just creeped me the hell out. that's weird. I dont have a flagging stalker so you're just stirring things for no reason.

auddii wrote: »

What i said was that when you click your flag notifications it does not tell you when, where or why you were flagged. The MFP post on this is unrelated.

Flags don't mean you broke the terms, for the most part they mean someone didn't like what you posted and got the urge to flag it (or everything else you posted in a thread...or ever)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Flags mean some thin skinned child was upset by something you wrote, and instead of putting on adult pants, they flag for great anonymity.

I think we'd see a slow down in the spurious flagging if there was an added line to flagged posts:
    This post was flagged by username, username, username, and others.
    with username and others being links to respective profiles, or a list of other usernames to show who is reporting.

Then the flagged can have a chance to complain about those abusing the flagging system, if that is their wont, and the rest of the community can identify who the bad actors are.