How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    SPeffer1 wrote: »
    I can see why suddenly having to wait for machines is annoying, but other than that I'm not sure why people care that new faces are joining. And I'll agree with those that said - starting in December or January doesn't necessarily mean you will quit. So many good reasons have been posted already.

For me - in the spring, summer, and fall - I prefer to run outside. Running on the treadmill kind of makes me want to punch someone. So I am not always at the gym as much during warm seasons. Particularly now when it's "dark o clock" when I leave the house and return, and I don't like running in the dark by myself.

I will unfortunately be one of those "newbies" at a new gym staring in January, b/c my YMCA membership runs out in December. And that's because I left one gym that only has equipment and no classes or pool late last year because I was having neck/spine surgery and knew I was going to be doing more swimming and lower impact activities. But thankfully that's behind me, and I prefer to pay less, so I'll be switching back.

I'm sure some there will judge me for showing up in January, despite me being in as good/better shape than a lot of them (so obviously not only doing this as a New Years Resolution), but thankfully I go to the gym to get what I need to get done as quickly as possible, and I leave. So I doubt I will be highly bothered by those who feel the need to judge.

You're right, but statistics show that most will. That's all we're discussing here. A thing...something that happens every year.

No one is judging, no one has said "stupid people that come at the beginning of January". OP asked a question about a real thing....the New Year's rush. If some construed that as negative, discouraging, or judgment, I guess that's on them. For me, it's a legit question about a standard occourance that happens every year.

What percentage of people signing up over comparable periods throughout the rest of the year are actually in it for the long haul?

Don't know, and really not interested. It could be more, it could be less. But people don't come in droves as they do at New Year's. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is a thing that no one can argue doesn't happen.
    If the percentage is even less, then that makes the whole post New Year dwindle down somewhat unremarkable. It's quite possible that the ratio is similar, and that the increased number of people joining during the new year rush = more people sticking around overall

Quite possible, but the rush brings in much higher numbers and dwindles by higher numbers.....every year, making it far more noticeable, does it not?
    Also consider that sometimes a perfectly committed person may try the gym using their awesome new year deals and decide they just do not like that particular gym

So adding to the rush then, correct?

I'm commenting on an actual thing that happens every year. The gym fills up for a few weeks, the gym empties out. I'm not saying, and never have even though people want to take it that way, that these people need to leave, shouldn't be there, and that I don't want them there.

OP asked a legit question about something that happens at almost every gym the same time every year. Your final quote pretty much indicates why the new year's rush is an actual thing.

It doesn't matter the individuals intentions, it's "black Friday" for the gym.

I don't understand, Mr. Moderator. Are we just supposed to talk about the "actual thing" without any additional context whatsoever?

I don't understand your level of sarcasm...but I digress.

Do most gyms get visibly busier at new years? Yes. Do they get visibly quieter by anywhere from Mid Jan to late Feb...Yep.

Do others probably sign up at different points of the year..yep. Do they fall out at the same rate IDK. Why, because the difference isn't visibly noticeable.

Are you saying that the rush doesn't exist?

I still stand by my opinion, and why I truthfully answered....OP asked a totally legit question about a phenomena that happens at nearly every gym at the new year....nothing more, nothing less. Others are adding more to it, I guess that's their deal.

Actually, OP, you're totally messed, it's all in your head. There aren't actually more people in the gym, and most of them aren't leaving...it was all a dream.

Everyone happy now?

Actually I already answered the OP's question earlier in the thread. I may have misunderstood your posts due to skimming the posts too quickly, but you just seemed to be telling every other poster to stick to the original question asked. Discussions can and do evolve from the original post, and I was just asking about a point that had been made a half dozen or more times in the thread (retention rate sucks and essentially maybe the hassle of dealing with extra peeps would be worth it if the resolutioners actually bothered to stick with it).

Ultimately you are entitled to your "nothing more nothing less" point but I do prefer and tend to learn more from a more fluid discussion :)

He already answered this for himself, but I will too.

Some people in this thread are acting like mentioning that the rush exist means we are wishing failure on newbies. That's not even remotely close to what was said. I am dreading the rush because last year it made it hard for me to get equipment. I will breathe a sigh of relief when it's over with, not because I'm glad those people quit, just because I'm glad the gym will go back to normal. It happens the same way every year, it doesn't make me a "hater" or an "elitest" to point it out.

Understood, but there were also a number of questions as to why people would wait till the new year, that painted the resolutioners in a negative light. So my comments may not apply to you or the gentleman, if you didn't make those statements or are not interested in this line of conversation in general; no sweat. Like I said I was also interested in the OP and answered it so I definitely don't think you've committed a mortal sin by doing so as well :)

I think sometimes with the internet the "tone" of a person's post may be misinterpreted. It happens, it's the internet. I was one of the people who asked why people wait for the New Year. I never said that I didn't want them at the gym, even had posted that I would help out a new person at the gym if they needed it. But then someone took my post as me being a noob hater, rude, a fitness elitest and apparently I judge new people in the gym. ( I know you weren't the one who called me those names) and right after that all of my posts were flagged. I wasn't trying to be rude or negative with my responses but I can't help how someone else interprets them. (Hopefully this makes sense- I've had zero coffee)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I wonder if people will eventually start getting in trouble for flagging without any real cause. It has to be a pain for the mods to sift through all the unwarranted flags.

Supposedly they are going to start looking into that soon. Supposedly.
    lol, doubtful.

I'm on track for 300 abuse and 100 spam this week.

Guess my brand of doesn't mince words doesn't mix well with the sunday lifters. lol.
    Yea you're the only one ahead of me I thing. The but hurt is in full force today. I've gotten maybe 20 today alone. The system is a joke and the Mods couldn't be bothered with it. I was told they are going to address it but I doubt it

Oh yea, I'm at 291 flags:

34 spam 257 abuse

How do I check!?

Edit: I see I've been labeled abusive 8 times!

that's not being labeled abusive lol, it means you broke the terms of service haha
    For as many insults that I throw around, you'd think I'd be doing better than 18....13 of which came in this thread.

If you want, we can ask the person who is stalking yoovie and flagging her posts to add you to their list of unnecessary butthurt flagging...

I don't know you and we aren't friends, so you just creeped me the hell out. that's weird. I dont have a flagging stalker so you're just stirring things for no reason.

auddii wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    redheaddee wrote: »
    I guess someone didn't like what I had to say and went back and flagged all of my posts. It's funny because I never said I didn't want new people in the gym.
    Is there somewhere you can see all the flags a person has? That is cool.

I swear people flag stuff because a) they don't like someone, or b) they're stupid and think it means they LIKE a post.

It's not cool. it doesnt tell you why, where, who or any helpful information to appeal it. It just says - you have 85 flags, which thankfully is only .5% of my posts. Not that that counts for anything either. number-wise.

I only flag nudie pics and VLCD / ED Mongering.

Actually, the mods have a post for how to use the flagging system, and they say use the spam for things that are clearly users with a fake account posting links and use the abuse for personal attacks. Everything else, they suggest using the report function like they used to (and to be extra confusing, the report function still allows you to select spam and abuse as options for why you're reporting it).

What i said was that when you click your flag notifications it does not tell you when, where or why you were flagged. The MFP post on this is unrelated.

My comment is based off of this thread and the fact that almost every post you've made in it is flagged. Almost. every. single. one. And I don't think a single one actually deserves a flag. Hence why I said you have a flagging stalker.

Sadly there was a lot of pointless flagging that happened in this thread. None of the posts that I can see deserved to be flagged. Some of the flags that I've seen going back don't even make sense.

Exactly.

It's as yoovie said earlier. People are flagging if they don't like a person - which is probably why she has flags, MrM has a bunch of flags, etc.

The flagging is in pretty much every thread too.

That's why I have so many flags. "I'm a meanie."

lol
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My gym is huge so I'm sure the rush wont be too bad, since most resolution people hang out in the cardio room and not in the weight room. The newer gym will probably have more people though.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oops didn't answer the question but usually by Valentines day, the people tend to start fading out.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year. Wanting to lose weight or improve upon yourself is a great thing to do... but why do you need an excuse to start? If you're thinking about it now, why wait til the new year? I always believe, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?
    Um To be fair most of us overweight people DID put off 'till tomorrow (Not neccesarily New years, but procrastinate we did) Hence the 20, 30, and like myself, 100+ lbs overweight people on here. And we all did need a reason/excuse/kick in the pants to start. It's just that new years is a new beginning for some people. My new beginning was a different time/reason, but there it is.

• MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You know, there a fair point that people missed too. With the amount of eatting going on during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve... It make sense to start January 1st. Kinda let yourself have those last horrahs
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    SPeffer1 wrote: »
    I can see why suddenly having to wait for machines is annoying, but other than that I'm not sure why people care that new faces are joining. And I'll agree with those that said - starting in December or January doesn't necessarily mean you will quit. So many good reasons have been posted already.

For me - in the spring, summer, and fall - I prefer to run outside. Running on the treadmill kind of makes me want to punch someone. So I am not always at the gym as much during warm seasons. Particularly now when it's "dark o clock" when I leave the house and return, and I don't like running in the dark by myself.

I will unfortunately be one of those "newbies" at a new gym staring in January, b/c my YMCA membership runs out in December. And that's because I left one gym that only has equipment and no classes or pool late last year because I was having neck/spine surgery and knew I was going to be doing more swimming and lower impact activities. But thankfully that's behind me, and I prefer to pay less, so I'll be switching back.

I'm sure some there will judge me for showing up in January, despite me being in as good/better shape than a lot of them (so obviously not only doing this as a New Years Resolution), but thankfully I go to the gym to get what I need to get done as quickly as possible, and I leave. So I doubt I will be highly bothered by those who feel the need to judge.

You're right, but statistics show that most will. That's all we're discussing here. A thing...something that happens every year.

No one is judging, no one has said "stupid people that come at the beginning of January". OP asked a question about a real thing....the New Year's rush. If some construed that as negative, discouraging, or judgment, I guess that's on them. For me, it's a legit question about a standard occourance that happens every year.

What percentage of people signing up over comparable periods throughout the rest of the year are actually in it for the long haul?

Don't know, and really not interested. It could be more, it could be less. But people don't come in droves as they do at New Year's. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is a thing that no one can argue doesn't happen.
    If the percentage is even less, then that makes the whole post New Year dwindle down somewhat unremarkable. It's quite possible that the ratio is similar, and that the increased number of people joining during the new year rush = more people sticking around overall

Quite possible, but the rush brings in much higher numbers and dwindles by higher numbers.....every year, making it far more noticeable, does it not?
    Also consider that sometimes a perfectly committed person may try the gym using their awesome new year deals and decide they just do not like that particular gym

So adding to the rush then, correct?

I'm commenting on an actual thing that happens every year. The gym fills up for a few weeks, the gym empties out. I'm not saying, and never have even though people want to take it that way, that these people need to leave, shouldn't be there, and that I don't want them there.

OP asked a legit question about something that happens at almost every gym the same time every year. Your final quote pretty much indicates why the new year's rush is an actual thing.

It doesn't matter the individuals intentions, it's "black Friday" for the gym.

I don't understand, Mr. Moderator. Are we just supposed to talk about the "actual thing" without any additional context whatsoever?

I don't understand your level of sarcasm...but I digress.

Do most gyms get visibly busier at new years? Yes. Do they get visibly quieter by anywhere from Mid Jan to late Feb...Yep.

Do others probably sign up at different points of the year..yep. Do they fall out at the same rate IDK. Why, because the difference isn't visibly noticeable.

Are you saying that the rush doesn't exist?

I still stand by my opinion, and why I truthfully answered....OP asked a totally legit question about a phenomena that happens at nearly every gym at the new year....nothing more, nothing less. Others are adding more to it, I guess that's their deal.

Actually, OP, you're totally messed, it's all in your head. There aren't actually more people in the gym, and most of them aren't leaving...it was all a dream.

Everyone happy now?

Actually I already answered the OP's question earlier in the thread. I may have misunderstood your posts due to skimming the posts too quickly, but you just seemed to be telling every other poster to stick to the original question asked. Discussions can and do evolve from the original post, and I was just asking about a point that had been made a half dozen or more times in the thread (retention rate sucks and essentially maybe the hassle of dealing with extra peeps would be worth it if the resolutioners actually bothered to stick with it).

Ultimately you are entitled to your "nothing more nothing less" point but I do prefer and tend to learn more from a more fluid discussion :)

He already answered this for himself, but I will too.

Some people in this thread are acting like mentioning that the rush exist means we are wishing failure on newbies. That's not even remotely close to what was said. I am dreading the rush because last year it made it hard for me to get equipment. I will breathe a sigh of relief when it's over with, not because I'm glad those people quit, just because I'm glad the gym will go back to normal. It happens the same way every year, it doesn't make me a "hater" or an "elitest" to point it out.

Understood, but there were also a number of questions as to why people would wait till the new year, that painted the resolutioners in a negative light. So my comments may not apply to you or the gentleman, if you didn't make those statements or are not interested in this line of conversation in general; no sweat. Like I said I was also interested in the OP and answered it so I definitely don't think you've committed a mortal sin by doing so as well :)

I think sometimes with the internet the "tone" of a person's post may be misinterpreted. It happens, it's the internet. I was one of the people who asked why people wait for the New Year. I never said that I didn't want them at the gym, even had posted that I would help out a new person at the gym if they needed it. But then someone took my post as me being a noob hater, rude, a fitness elitest and apparently I judge new people in the gym. ( I know you weren't the one who called me those names) and right after that all of my posts were flagged. I wasn't trying to be rude or negative with my responses but I can't help how someone else interprets them. (Hopefully this makes sense- I've had zero coffee)

Nah one of the type of posts I was referencing just got quoted. There was an especially sanctimonious one that actually got flagged to the point of removal I think. It's possible that people use a post that they've located as a launching pad to write their response; and might accidentally quote yours even if your post may not have 100% expressed the sentiment that drove them to respond. I may have been guilty of that here

And don't worry about flagging! The mods have long announced that member flags count for nothing unless the person reported (after five flags) has actually broken a forum guideline

Say, one thing I wonder, if part of the Rush is due to the winter months, do Australia and any other Southernmost Hemisphere countries experience the same thing in the summer? :)

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year. Wanting to lose weight or improve upon yourself is a great thing to do... but why do you need an excuse to start? If you're thinking about it now, why wait til the new year? I always believe, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?
    Um To be fair most of us overweight people DID put off 'till tomorrow (Not neccesarily New years, but procrastinate we did) Hence the 20, 30, and like myself, 100+ lbs overweight people on here. And we all did need a reason/excuse/kick in the pants to start. It's just that new years is a new beginning for some people. My new beginning was a different time/reason, but there it is.

Exactly. I'd bet that very few people have been polishing their diet and working out hard since their teens, but still just somehow one day woke up being 50 lbs overweight. "Putting off" (or more liiely just completely sweeping aside) was the name of the game for the vast majority of us on this forum, I think. I quit smoking two years ago as a new years resolution. I've never thought that it would have been a bad thing just because of when I did it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    For some reason, the gym's lot and two overflow lots were full last time I was there, yet *not a single person* squatting or deadlifting. There was a line for the preacher curl though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    And the gym is back to normal ..took 5 weeks!
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym but I see the rush here on MFP. I'll get a bunch of requests or see old friends in my feed in January but now when I look at my friend list it says "last login three months ago".
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    And the gym is back to normal ..took 5 weeks!

Mine's not! The parking lot is awful and it's super crowded still.

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I workout from home, but the majority of mfp's friends are people I know (family and friends). Only one is left logging and that's my husband:) So my feed looks very empty:(
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The day after Valentine's day.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and you would think that the rush would be over by now. I keep asking them to leave but no one will :( It's upsetting... ;)