How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    I wonder if people will eventually start getting in trouble for flagging without any real cause. It has to be a pain for the mods to sift through all the unwarranted flags.

Supposedly they are going to start looking into that soon. Supposedly.
    lol, doubtful.

I'm on track for 300 abuse and 100 spam this week.

Guess my brand of doesn't mince words doesn't mix well with the sunday lifters. lol.
    Yea you're the only one ahead of me I thing. The but hurt is in full force today. I've gotten maybe 20 today alone. The system is a joke and the Mods couldn't be bothered with it. I was told they are going to address it but I doubt it

Oh yea, I'm at 291 flags:

34 spam 257 abuse

How do I check!?

Edit: I see I've been labeled abusive 8 times!

that's not being labeled abusive lol, it means you broke the terms of service haha

Flags don't mean you broke the terms, for the most part they mean someone didn't like what you posted and got the urge to flag it (or everything else you posted in a thread...or ever)

abuse reports are reports of abusing TOS is what I was saying. not flags for being abusive.

flags are different than abuse reports and mean exactly what you said.

• zSandman
    zSandman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As long as I can get a bench, and a few dbs, I dont care.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can see why suddenly having to wait for machines is annoying, but other than that I'm not sure why people care that new faces are joining. And I'll agree with those that said - starting in December or January doesn't necessarily mean you will quit. So many good reasons have been posted already.

For me - in the spring, summer, and fall - I prefer to run outside. Running on the treadmill kind of makes me want to punch someone. So I am not always at the gym as much during warm seasons. Particularly now when it's "dark o clock" when I leave the house and return, and I don't like running in the dark by myself.

I will unfortunately be one of those "newbies" at a new gym staring in January, b/c my YMCA membership runs out in December. And that's because I left one gym that only has equipment and no classes or pool late last year because I was having neck/spine surgery and knew I was going to be doing more swimming and lower impact activities. But thankfully that's behind me, and I prefer to pay less, so I'll be switching back.

I'm sure some there will judge me for showing up in January, despite me being in as good/better shape than a lot of them (so obviously not only doing this as a New Years Resolution), but thankfully I go to the gym to get what I need to get done as quickly as possible, and I leave. So I doubt I will be highly bothered by those who feel the need to judge.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to join a gym on Jan 1st just to piss you all off.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

+1 lol

I think I will rejoin the gym on January 2nd and use 3 weight benches for my towels and water bottles, drop the weights, not put anything back, sweat all over everything and not wipe 'em down, groan loudly while lifting little weights, throw in an occasional grunt or yell for good measure, wear special weight belts and gloves to look cool, grimace always, adjust everything to ridiculous extremes and not adjust it back, have long conversations while sitting on equipment when there is a line waiting to use it, and start lifting as soon as I make eye contact with someone that notices me.

I think that about covers it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

+1 lol

I think I will rejoin the gym on January 2nd and use 3 weight benches for my towels and water bottles, drop the weights, not put anything back, sweat all over everything and not wipe 'em down, groan loudly while lifting little weights, throw in an occasional grunt or yell for good measure, wear special weight belts and gloves to look cool, grimace always, adjust everything to ridiculous extremes and not adjust it back, have long conversations while sitting on equipment when there is a line waiting to use it, and start lifting as soon as I make eye contact with someone that notices me.

Don't forget to spread your street clothes out in the locker room on all of the benches and floor everywhere... and then leave it there for the duration of your workout.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    SPeffer1 wrote: »
    I can see why suddenly having to wait for machines is annoying, but other than that I'm not sure why people care that new faces are joining. And I'll agree with those that said - starting in December or January doesn't necessarily mean you will quit. So many good reasons have been posted already.

For me - in the spring, summer, and fall - I prefer to run outside. Running on the treadmill kind of makes me want to punch someone. So I am not always at the gym as much during warm seasons. Particularly now when it's "dark o clock" when I leave the house and return, and I don't like running in the dark by myself.

I will unfortunately be one of those "newbies" at a new gym staring in January, b/c my YMCA membership runs out in December. And that's because I left one gym that only has equipment and no classes or pool late last year because I was having neck/spine surgery and knew I was going to be doing more swimming and lower impact activities. But thankfully that's behind me, and I prefer to pay less, so I'll be switching back.

I'm sure some there will judge me for showing up in January, despite me being in as good/better shape than a lot of them (so obviously not only doing this as a New Years Resolution), but thankfully I go to the gym to get what I need to get done as quickly as possible, and I leave. So I doubt I will be highly bothered by those who feel the need to judge.

You're right, but statistics show that most will. That's all we're discussing here. A thing...something that happens every year.

No one is judging, no one has said "stupid people that come at the beginning of January". OP asked a question about a real thing....the New Year's rush. If some construed that as negative, discouraging, or judgment, I guess that's on them. For me, it's a legit question about a standard occourance that happens every year.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's also a bit of an industry-created cycle. Because so many people join in January, gyms devote most of their marketing and promotion budgets to January. So you're constantly seeing ads and messaging about joining a gym. Plus, they tend to offer crazy deals in January because they know that's when newbies sign up. So what does the budget-savvy newbie do? Wait till January to take advantage of those deals, of course!
  • RGv2
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    It's also a bit of an industry-created cycle. Because so many people join in January, gyms devote most of their marketing and promotion budgets to January. So you're constantly seeing ads and messaging about joining a gym. Plus, they tend to offer crazy deals in January because they know that's when newbies sign up. So what does the budget-savvy newbie do? Wait till January to take advantage of those deals, of course!

I got a better deal in the spring. The gym is losing people that actually used the place in the winter to the outside at that time and usually offer better deals than new years.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I got a better deal in the spring. The gym is losing people that actually used the place in the winter to the outside at that time and usually offer better deals than new years.

I noticed that as well. Not all gyms, but the ones by me seem to have much better deals around the summer time. Probably because everyone is going outside to enjoy the sunshine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

You're right, but statistics show that most will. That's all we're discussing here. A thing...something that happens every year.

No one is judging, no one has said "stupid people that come at the beginning of January". OP asked a question about a real thing....the New Year's rush. If some construed that as negative, discouraging, or judgment, I guess that's on them. For me, it's a legit question about a standard occourance that happens every year.

So how about placing the 1 in 15 statistic in context? What percentage of people signing up over comparable periods throughout the rest of the year are actually in it for the long haul? If the percentage is even less, then that makes the whole post New Year dwindle down somewhat unremarkable. It's quite possible that the ratio is similar, and that the increased number of people joining during the new year rush = more people sticking around overall

Also consider that sometimes a perfectly committed person may try the gym using their awesome new year deals and decide they just do not like that particular gym
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the but hurt in this thread is amazing ….
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

"butt"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    True! There is a 6.7% chance of adherence to a continuing gym program.
  • dbmata
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

"butt"

but.... hurt!
  • dbmata
    Options

+1 lol

Don't forget to spread your street clothes out in the locker room on all of the benches and floor everywhere... and then leave it there for the duration of your workout.

oh, and when you take a shower, come out, and flop your junk around while talking to others at an uncomfortably close distance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

+1 lol

oh, and when you take a shower, come out, and flop your junk around while talking to others at an uncomfortably close distance.

another reason to shower when you get home
  • RGv2
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

What percentage of people signing up over comparable periods throughout the rest of the year are actually in it for the long haul?

Don't know, and really not interested. It could be more, it could be less. But people don't come in droves as they do at New Year's. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is a thing that no one can argue doesn't happen.
    If the percentage is even less, then that makes the whole post New Year dwindle down somewhat unremarkable. It's quite possible that the ratio is similar, and that the increased number of people joining during the new year rush = more people sticking around overall

Quite possible, but the rush brings in much higher numbers and dwindles by higher numbers.....every year, making it far more noticeable, does it not?
    Also consider that sometimes a perfectly committed person may try the gym using their awesome new year deals and decide they just do not like that particular gym

So adding to the rush then, correct?

I'm commenting on an actual thing that happens every year. The gym fills up for a few weeks, the gym empties out. I'm not saying, and never have even though people want to take it that way, that these people need to leave, shouldn't be there, and that I don't want them there.

OP asked a legit question about something that happens at almost every gym the same time every year. Your final quote pretty much indicates why the new year's rush is an actual thing.

It doesn't matter the individuals intentions, it's "black Friday" for the gym.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned about the rush at the place I take spin classes. They told me it gets packed in January and it's hard to get a bike. I just started to go to spin classes and they're were about 5-6 people in my evening class. So hopefully, I'll be able to get there early enough to claim a bike, but I go after work, so rush hour traffic can make that a little difficult. We shall see I guess.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned about the rush at the place I take spin classes. They told me it gets packed in January and it's hard to get a bike. I just started to go to spin classes and they're were about 5-6 people in my evening class. So hopefully, I'll be able to get there early enough to claim a bike, but I go after work, so rush hour traffic can make that a little difficult. We shall see I guess.

That is how it is at my gym as well. It may take a month for it to settle down. So in the meantime if you don't get a bike grab a cardio machine and do your own thing. It's good to mix it up sometimes :)