How do you deal with someone else's very wrong concepts of weightloss?

Options
I know that other people weight loss journeys really are none of my business, however I have a work partner that is constantly discussing some very disillusioned ideas about weightloss. They are seeing a personal trainer (which is their business, not mine) but he has given them some really bad broscience ideas about weightloss. The past few weeks I've steadily lost weight and they have not. They started complaining how unfair it is because they work out in the gym etc. however while at work I observe them making really poor food choices. Not as in I don't think they should eat that specific food, but rather in a course of 12 hours, eating 2000-3000 calories or more (no they are not so heavy set that their bmr would be that high). I tried to gently suggest that maybe they should take a look a the food they it and got a response of: well my trainer says I should eat every 3-4 hours because that is how you speed up your metabolism (I honestly doubt he meant eat 1k calories every 3-4 hours). It is kind of frustrating because I have to listen to how their trainer kicked their butt, how sore they are, etc. and how they should be losing weight because they are seeing said trainer.

Have other people dealt with people like that? If so, how did you handle it? Simply tuning them out is not an option (we work in a vehicle together for 12+ hours).

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I once worked with someone who was completely into pseudoscience... "cleanses", naturoapathy, healing crystals, you name it. She was basically like the real life equivalent of Tim Minchin's Storm, if you know what I'm talking about.

I just smiled and nodded a lot, and then used her increasingly weird concepts as fodder for good stories.

Like you said, it's their business, not yours. If you're stuck in a car for 12+ hours with him, just shut down that topic of conversation with some useless platitude ("different things work for different people, I guess") and change the subject. Eventually they'll eventually get the hint.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one.

Are they calorie counting at all? I'd be talking up MFP a lot - encouraging without bossing to track what they eat.

Or just punch him ;)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers [can] be fantastic. But as you are seeing - the person being trained needs to be accountable for what they eat, or all that hard work won't pay off. I listen to people all the time about how they are trying this or that or this diet to lose water weight, blah blah blah. I just smile and nod.

Show by action, not words.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,779 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Perhaps gently suggest that a personal trainer is not the same as a nutritionist, and that your colleague might benefit from seeing both. If the trainer is still God in the person's eyes, maybe suggest your colleague track all food and beverages consumed (honestly, no cheating and leaving stuff out) for two weeks and take that info to the trainer for feedback. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Punching and laughing are good ideas. ;-)

If someone else has a problem and you get upset about it, then you have a problem. And your problem has nothing to do with theirs.

So, it's probably best not to discuss it unless you like getting bent out of shape.

• JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think honesty is the best policy. It might be better to just say, "You can't eat like that and lose weight dude".
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Probably best to discredit the personal trainer. Ask if they have any degrees in nutrion/kinesology. And by degrees I mean bachelors or greater. CC does not count. There is no eating regime that will work to lose weight unless it contains the term "eat less". I don't care if you eat once or 10 times a day. If your calories are more than you lose then you are going to maintain/gain weight. End of story, the science is more than settled on it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Stay out of it. There's a lot u might not know. Maybe their workouts justify those cals. Maybe they dont eat later. Maybe they are trying to build muscle. Etc. Just be hapoy with your sucess and instead of trying to tune out someone who is in the car with you, just turn on the radio after saying something banal, like "hey, thats cool!" Its a coworker ur not in charge of thwir weigt loss, u just have to get along. Yer paycheck dep2nds on it.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I usually don't say anything!

I know someone who is really into this plant-based diet but has gained about 15 - 20 lbs in the last few years of eating said plant diet. This person is all about cleanses and smoothies and pills and vitamins and blah blah blah.

I have lost 70 lbs by monitoring what I eat, eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly. I eat meat and this person is always complaining about how bad meat is for you and so on. It's easier for me to keep my mouth shut. This person, while gaining weight, is still "small" so a lot of people listen to them and expect they know the answer but yet they're not any healthier than me PLUS they have deficiencies from this plant diet life thingy. They have made their children give up dairy, too.

I know someone else who I saw the other day eating a chocolate bar. I said to them I thought they were on a health kick because I always saw them at the gym, and their response was well I didn't have anything at my desk to eat. I always, ALWAYS, have apples and oranges sitting around so I said next time, come by and grab something you're always welcome to have one. Their response? Well an apple has just as much sugar in it as this chocolate bar so I'll just eat this chocolate bar.

I know many people have the debate about natural vs. refined sugar but I couldn't believe they thought eating the chocolate bar was no worse for you than eating an apple. I am pre-diabetic so I am following a diabetic meal plan and it suggests I have an apple daily, it does not suggest I have a chocolate bar. The misinformation out there is really shocking!

Because I'm still "big" not many people take what I have to say seriously when it comes to weight loss. It's unfortunate that so many people are filled with misconceptions about diet and exercise.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Smile, nod, then complain about how you have to buy new pants again and you're glad you saved money on a trainer.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'll just add this: It sounds like your question should be "how do I deal with an annoying coworker?" instead of "how do I deal with someone who doesn't understand weight loss?"

Your problem isn't that they're dumb. There are lots of dumb people in the world and they have no impact whatsoever on your life, nor do you feel compelled to educate or enlighten them all.

No, your problem is that you have to work with this person, and they're annoying. Treat it the same way you would any annoying coworker situation: Suck it up, don't make waves, and chalk it up to the fact that sometimes we don't get to choose our colleagues.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh I got my answer now. Just change the subject every time he brings up weight loss. He'll get the hint and you don't have to be rude OR give advice he doesn't want!

• mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    When I disagree with people I always try to put out there that we have different opinions/ideas and that is life and that is ok. Not everyone is going to think/feel the same way. I would let them know that you respect their ideas and hope they will respect yours, wish them the very best on their weight loss, and agree to not get into anything more detailed.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'd be nice and let them vent. Then change the subject.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I know that other people weight loss journeys really are none of my business, however...

Stop right there.

If you truly understand it's none of your business, there is no "however".

Unless they specifically ask, just stay out of it - that's my suggestion.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one.

Are they calorie counting at all? I'd be talking up MFP a lot - encouraging without bossing to track what they eat.

Or just punch him ;)

I actually have brought up calorie counting and mfp before (they see me enter everything I eat). Lol I'm pretty sure my boss would frown upon that. Besides I don't want to do the extra paperwork that would entail lol.
    Stay out of it. There's a lot u might not know. Maybe their workouts justify those cals. Maybe they dont eat later. Maybe they are trying to build muscle. Etc. Just be hapoy with your sucess and instead of trying to tune out someone who is in the car with you, just turn on the radio after saying something banal, like "hey, thats cool!" Its a coworker ur not in charge of thwir weigt loss, u just have to get along. Yer paycheck dep2nds on it.

Not exactly possible. For one we can't have the radio too loud because we have to be able to hear the dispatcher and computer dispatching system. Not really a car anyway. I wish it were that easy, but as soon as we get a job, I get to listen to them complain about how sore they are as we walk up 5 flights a stairs. Granted I'm am not in amazing shape, but try to hold back on complaining when carrying all of our gear up stairs (elevators- architects have you hear of them). Also- obviously the amount of food is more than the deficit if they are complaining about not losing/gaining weight.
    Smile, nod, then complain about how you have to buy new pants again and you're glad you saved money on a trainer.

Funny you should say that because the other day my partner goes.... "Uhh did you grab the wrong size pants today?" I asked why, and they responded "because they look so much more baggy then usual." Lol. I was on cloud 9 for hours.
    segacs wrote: »
    I'll just add this: It sounds like your question should be "how do I deal with an annoying coworker?" instead of "how do I deal with someone who doesn't understand weight loss?"

Your problem isn't that they're dumb. There are lots of dumb people in the world and they have no impact whatsoever on your life, nor do you feel compelled to educate or enlighten them all.

No, your problem is that you have to work with this person, and they're annoying. Treat it the same way you would any annoying coworker situation: Suck it up, don't make waves, and chalk it up to the fact that sometimes we don't get to choose our colleagues.

The thing is: a) other than this issue they are not annoying at all, b) they are actually a wonderful partner to work with and c) we did choose to work the same shift together. During shift trades that happen every few months, you can ask for a permanent shift with someone who you wish to work with.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I usually give advice or opinion if asked for it. If I am not asked for it then I keep my mouth shut. They will(hopefully) figure it out.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I know that other people weight loss journeys really are none of my business, however...

Stop right there.

If you truly understand it's none of your business, there is no "however".

Unless they specifically ask, just stay out of it - that's my suggestion.

Agree. In my experience people don't want to hear that it's hard & they'll have to change their lifestyle...forevah... They think they're paying a trainer to provide motivation & as long as the check clears they can take what they want from the (sometimes good) advice & leave the rest. Just lose your weight & let them do their thing. I have girlfriends & co-workers who are on the more cardio no weights bandwagon & even done HCG. I'm supportive of their efforts, but make it clear it's not something I have any interest in doing.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's advice. I think I may just bring it up next shift and say "hey, I get your have a personal trainer and I think that is awesome, and I enjoy hearing about the workouts (which I do, they give me ideas) but can we make complaining about the scale an off limit topic? It has been bothering me lately" and see what they say.

Also I am using gender neutral pronouns for a reason :).