How do you deal with someone else's very wrong concepts of weightloss?

Options

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if that's the worst thing your coworker does, thank your lucky stars. I had four coworkers start praying around me at an old job when I let slip that I did not share their religious views.

I will not get started on how they behaved when I had three relatives pass away within a short period.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So often people really aren't happy with what they are doing with regards to weight loss. They can also get jealous of someone else's weight loss. So when you try and offer advice, they feel justified in shutting you down. The best thing I would say do is just say, really? and let it go. Don't offer advice unless specifically asked. If they ask then you can say well, My Fitness Pal has worked for me and let it go.
    Your right it's not your business but this person is trying to make it your business.
    If you really want to say something then tell them, 'Look, I get your all into this fitness trainer and that is fine. I've tried to offer you some sound advice of additional ways to help you with your weight loss. Clearly your not interested in what I have to say. So, let's not talk about your weight or my weight because I'm done." And then change the subject.

Hope these help.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I would just respond to their whining with "hmmm...yeah...that sucks...hmmm...ok...mmmhmmm..."

Eventually they'll get the hint that you don't care and shut up. After 50 "hmmm" responses, people realize they should just be quiet. Obviously they aren't trying to hear any advice from you because they think their training knows best. It's sad for them but maybe after a few months of no progress, they'll get a clue or just give up. I wonder if it's not the trainer as much as it is your coworker incorrectly applying the trainer's advice. He probably say 5-6 small meals and you're coworker has an incorrect view of small lol. You could give the perfect advice and they'd still say you were wrong.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably the coworker, not the trainer. While the whole eating frequently to fire up your metabolism thing is wrongity-wrong, it's a common enough myth.

At this point, I'd do nothing, but just sigh sympathetically. Your coworker's journey is their own. At some point, they'll go looking for solutions, and they might ask how you lose steadily. You can mention CICO and MFP when they ask.

I firmly believe that people have to have their heads in the right place to succeed at weight loss and getting fit and healthy. I'm just starting out myself! To me, it doesn't sound like your coworker has exactly gotten there yet, but they are on their way. You're further along and get the whole deal better than they do. Try to remember that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably the coworker, not the trainer. While the whole eating frequently to fire up your metabolism thing is wrongity-wrong, it's a common enough myth.

It also doesn't do anything to prevent weight loss, as long as the calorie goals are being met. Compared to much of the nonsense floating around out there, it's pretty innocuous.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I know that other people weight loss journeys really are none of my business, however...

Stop right there.

If you truly understand it's none of your business, there is no "however".

Unless they specifically ask, just stay out of it - that's my suggestion.
    ^

• NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If they're not bothering me, what does it matter? Not hurting me any.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just break up already......

oh wait, not that type of thread.....

If they bring it up, just something like "I don't know, must be something different. Check with your trainer" or something like that
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Usually like this

dr-oz-batman-slap-meme.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I really appreciate everyone's advice. I think I may just bring it up next shift and say "hey, I get your have a personal trainer and I think that is awesome, and I enjoy hearing about the workouts (which I do, they give me ideas) but can we make complaining about the scale an off limit topic? It has been bothering me lately" and see what they say.

Also I am using gender neutral pronouns for a reason :).

They're a transsexual? ;)

Not exactly. They consider themselves gender fluid, so pretty much how they are feeling that particular day :).
    To be honest, if that's the worst thing your coworker does, thank your lucky stars. I had four coworkers start praying around me at an old job when I let slip that I did not share their religious views.

I will not get started on how they behaved when I had three relatives pass away within a short period.

Oh I know. I have had horrid work partners before. It was basically a counting game until the shift ended. Thankfully all 3 of my permanent partners (based on day of week) are absolutely amazing. For the most part we get along great although there have been times where I have seriously, but playfully told them that I would throw them under the next moving vehicle we encounter if they kept a specific thing that was irritating up lol (like continuously turning off a light I turn on to do paperwork).
    terar21 wrote: »
    I would just respond to their whining with "hmmm...yeah...that sucks...hmmm...ok...mmmhmmm..."

Eventually they'll get the hint that you don't care and shut up. After 50 "hmmm" responses, people realize they should just be quiet. Obviously they aren't trying to hear any advice from you because they think their training knows best. It's sad for them but maybe after a few months of no progress, they'll get a clue or just give up. I wonder if it's not the trainer as much as it is your coworker incorrectly applying the trainer's advice. He probably say 5-6 small meals and you're coworker has an incorrect view of small lol. You could give the perfect advice and they'd still say you were wrong.

Lol, I wish that were true but even when I ignore a specific whine, they still carry on lol. Not so sure subtle hints have much effect lol.

It also doesn't do anything to prevent weight loss, as long as the calorie goals are being met. Compared to much of the nonsense floating around out there, it's pretty innocuous.

I agree and when it was brought up by them, I did say something along the lines of I'm not sure that makes a difference (so it didnt sound like I was trying to correct them). I guess it could be worse and they could be believing some more ridiculous and out there lol.
    I know that other people weight loss journeys really are none of my business, however...

Stop right there.

^

When you continuously complain about a certain topic to another person, you are kind of involving them.
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    Just break up already......

oh wait, not that type of thread.....

If they bring it up, just something like "I don't know, must be something different. Check with your trainer" or something like that

I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure the things they keep talking about are actually told to them by the trainer. They keep saying "well my trainer says..." My initial reaction was I wanted to smack them and say why are you paying for someone to give you bad advice, but kept quiet.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had a lady obese in my office who was always obsessed with me especially my weight and as soon as I worked out a lot and started to look good she just went bananas. She would bug me every time I saw her and I ignored her. She later died of a massive heart attack. The last time we saw her alive at work I decided I ignored her too much and took her out for lunch, doing some sales work together on Friday and she told me it was the funnest day she had , had in years. The next Monday she wasn't at work and we found out she had died. She was in denial, she lied to everyone about her working out, how much she consumed. I'd try talking to the person in a very fact like way, don't get personal and if they don't hear you , you know they are just set in their way. You could offer to work out, eat with them I've done that before and then the person sees what it really takes.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I had a lady obese in my office who was always obsessed with me especially my weight and as soon as I worked out a lot and started to look good she just went bananas. She would bug me every time I saw her and I ignored her. She later died of a massive heart attack. The last time we saw her alive at work I decided I ignored her too much and took her out for lunch, doing some sales work together on Friday and she told me it was the funnest day she had , had in years. The next Monday she wasn't at work and we found out she had died. She was in denial, she lied to everyone about her working out, how much she consumed. I'd try talking to the person in a very fact like way, don't get personal and if they don't hear you , you know they are just set in their way. You could offer to work out, eat with them I've done that before and then the person sees what it really takes.

Oh gosh! That is really really sad. I am so sorry to hear that. I would work out with them, but our goals in that area are slightly different right now. They seem to be mostly focused on extreme strength exercises (at least I have never heard them talk about cardio). I am more into cardio right now with some light strength exercises. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to eat together outside of work because of how severe my food allergies are (I won't eat anything I haven't myself prepared). We don't get actual lunch breaks though, so while working we have to eat with each other lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Stop right there.

+1
    You have NO idea what their journey is.
  • elphie754
    Options

Stop right there.

+1

Except they talk about it all the time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Stop right there.

+1

So? So lets say you tell him everything you know about how he should diet. And he's not happy. You still have to see him all day every day. Fun times that will be.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Keep letting them know you don't approve.

Just say, "No offense, but..." first. When you say, "No offense, but..." people always understand that you're quite charming and will never think you're saying something that you darn well intended to be offensive.

That should work quite well.

Also, tell them how many calories are in whatever they're eating. Every time they open a pop, unwrap a burger, or munch a mid-day snack, announce the calories.

They might act like it bugs them, but it might help.

Just don't forget the, "No offense, but..." first!
  • elphie754
    Options

Stop right there.

+1

So? So lets say you tell him everything you know about how he should diet. And he's not happy. You still have to see him all day every day. Fun times that will be.

Uh no. I work with them only 12 hours, one day a week.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Keep letting them know you don't approve.

Just say, "No offense, but..." first. When you say, "No offense, but..." people always understand that you're quite charming and will never think you're saying something that you darn well intended to be offensive.

That should work quite well.

Also, tell them how many calories are in whatever they're eating. Every time they open a pop, unwrap a burger, or munch a mid-day snack, announce the calories.

They might act like it bugs them, but it might help.

Just don't forget the, "No offense, but..." first!

No offense but..... That would get my butt kicked.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Part of life is having to learn from your own mistakes.

In this case, your work friend is just going to have to walk the path on their own and learn for themselves. That's life.

As for you, smile, nod, offer encouragement and keep going your own direction.