Holidays & Cookies

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I hate walnuts. I think a macaron while nice, would lack the chew backbone needed to stand up to flavor of a bacon jam magnitude.

I'm actually curious where the oreo came from, but I wouldn't peg the alfajore for it. Hm, that would be interesting.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    God I want a cookie right now. I need a cookie fairy to come deliver me some cookies.

I'm doing my cookie baking this weekend... I'm sure they'll all be gone before Santa makes his jolly arrival.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well I want 10 cookies, and I will eat them..... but then get to work it off in a fun way.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I went to a bakery today. They had some snickerdoodles up for grabs, 3x the diameter of a normal one. Amazing.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I just put a lemon cake into the oven right now... Next on my baking list my chocolate chip cookies, and then Salvadorean quesadilla. There's still so much more to bake after that. The oven has been calling to me and I can no longer ignore it!! :laugh:
  • dbmata
    Options
    got a good recipe for semita by any chance?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All I want is one iced sugar cookie, but my coworkers have let me down this year! My oven refuses to bake such things anymore.

8h6m5q64ro55.jpg
  • Lasmartchika
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Unfortunately no... i haven't been able to get that recipe from my mom. She'd make mostly quesadillas. But once I get that recipe for semita I'll share it. :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I was going to make maple bacon bourbon cookies last night for a work bake sale, but my husband talked me out of sharing them with that many people, said he would rather me just make them this weekend for us!

Somehow I think this thread has taken a turn the OP was not expecting...

expand upon this concept eh?

I just pulled one of my bellies from the freezer to start curing.

Well this is what I was thinking:

http://heatherchristo.com/cooks/2013/09/13/bourbon-maple-bacon-and-pecan-cookies/

Pics aren't that much to look at though:

9735907698_ac5e0da52f_z.jpg

Found this while I was digging up the recipe - it has a lot more to offer in the wow factor I think...

BourbonBaconBrittleTall.jpg

http://bakingthegoods.com/2013/12/23/three-wise-men-bourbon-bacon-brittle-recipe/

ETA damn those links are hard to get in there...

Quite frankly, that looks absolutely fabulous.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I need to talk my BF into making cookies with me- except we're both broke since we paid bills. :( cry cry
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    me too :( til TUESDAY!

airhump.gif
    airhump.oven
    airhump.fromscratch
  • dbmata
    Options

Unfortunately no... i haven't been able to get that recipe from my mom. She'd make mostly quesadillas. But once I get that recipe for semita I'll share it. :)
    lol, awesome. I've tried for years to get one from my wife's tia. She has a damned bakery and sends me semita from down south... but refuses to give me the recipe. "Oh it's not in english."

I CAN TRANSLATE IT AND SO CAN SHE!!! lol.
  • Lasmartchika
    Options

lol, awesome. I've tried for years to get one from my wife's tia. She has a damned bakery and sends me semita from down south... but refuses to give me the recipe. "Oh it's not in english."

I CAN TRANSLATE IT AND SO CAN SHE!!! lol.

Lol!! I know, it's so difficult to get those dam recipes!! Such secrets!! I'd always ask my mom what's the recipe for whatever, which she'd always reply "No me acuerdo."

The only way I got a lot of her recipes was being in the kitchen RIGHT FROM THE START and writing down every step and ingredient! Otherwise, if I missed the beginning or whatever and asked what I'd miss... "No me acuerdo." Always her answer. :laugh:

Are you Salvadorean?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wife is. What's funny is her mom LOVES to show me how to make what she makes... her tarejas are amazing. I still can't figure out her rice though. I went to culinary school, I've watched her time and tie again. I still can't clone it!

It's too funny though, you have to be there or you just miss all the little nuanced technique.
  • Lasmartchika
    Options
    Lol!! Those little techniques are seriously important!!
    Now since yesterday that you asked about semita, now I want some!! Hopefully if I ask, my mom won't answer with no me acuerdo. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I went to a bakery today. They had some snickerdoodles up for grabs, 3x the diameter of a normal one. Amazing.

Snickerdoodles are one of my all time favorites. I've actually had two this week at work that were so sub-par and disappointing. Think I'm going to have to bake some this weekend to redeem the snickerdoodle in my mind. I have a recipe for a brown butter snickerdoodle that is phenomenal...

• dbmata
    Options
    Lol!! Those little techniques are seriously important!!
    Now since yesterday that you asked about semita, now I want some!! Hopefully if I ask, my mom won't answer with no me acuerdo. :stuck_out_tongue:
    best of luck.
  • dbmata
    Options

Snickerdoodles are one of my all time favorites. I've actually had two this week at work that were so sub-par and disappointing. Think I'm going to have to bake some this weekend to redeem the snickerdoodle in my mind. I have a recipe for a brown butter snickerdoodle that is phenomenal...
    Yeah, they're dangerous cookies.

So simple yet so good.
    However, so simple most people don't pay them the respect due, and they make terrible versions.
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Pinterest for all your baking needs: http://latinaish.com/2012/06/02/salvadoran-semita-recipe/